Before and After

So I've been told that taking a before and after shot is a very 'moral/self esteem building' exercise! I've taken the before shots - well my son did and laughed a lot ! So I'll be taking after shots end Feb, may share - I believe this is a positive move also. What do you think, if you think it's a good idea keep in touch folks and wts !

Replies

• LHWhite903
    LHWhite903 Posts: 208 Member
    Sounds good to me, if it's motivating for you. That's what matters. :smile:
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It is good to take before shots. Even if you don't like them now (even if you absolutely can't stand them) you may change your mind later and wish you had some or, if you have some, wish you had more. I have, I think, 3 pictures of myself from mid-20s until I started losing weight. I wish I had more.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    I absolutely hated seeing my before pictures. They made me feel sick. I am now very happy I saved them. Along the way I used them to compare the changes. Now, people don't even believe it was me in the before pictures.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Yes.. whether gaining or losing.. selfie the eff out of yourself
  • missblondi2u
    missblondi2u Posts: 851 Member
    I took a couple of pics at the beginning, and have added a couple every month in the same or similar clothing to track my progress. It's really motivating to go back and compare, especially during those weeks when the scale isn't budging as much as I'd like!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Before pictures are a powerful motivator, especially if you start to feel like you haven't made much progress. Looking back at the before pictures can show that you're doing better than you thought.
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    Ah yes... "Felfies" (Fat Selfies) I've done a few...working hard on the "after photos" However, I'm not sure if it's best to focus on the before shots...or the goal shots... they say to concentrate on what you want to happen, not what was before.
  • streamgirl
    streamgirl Posts: 207 Member
    I had times where I couldn't see a difference looking in the mirror and felt bummed--especially if the pounds weren't coming off as fast as I wanted. But I'd pull out photos and look at them side by side and see much more of a difference--it wound up being a motivator for me. I could see things like more definition and less flab. I'm really glad I had those photos!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I saved a ridiculously unflattering vacation photo for this reason. It's a nice reminder to stay mindful of what I'm consuming!
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I took before pics on January 9th and it was a serious wakeup call. Looking forward to after pics in April 2016.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    I'm sold on before-and-after shots.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    edited January 2016
    I wish I had taken them. When I wanted to make a before and after comparison I had to DIG through old photos that I didn't really like to find something. Hence my profile picture.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I wish I would have taken some before shots also. I went back and found some pictures from before that I have to compare, but nothing that I did for the specific purpose. I did my best to hide from the camera before!
  • kiara1066
    kiara1066 Posts: 119 Member
    I took a before picture just so I can track progress and change. It really helps me have a visual proof of the changes. I took some a few weeks ago, and I can tell I am already stronger!
  • fatboyslimRP50
    fatboyslimRP50 Posts: 25 Member
    OK, so that's a big fat yes! pun intended, plus it seems digging out a reasonable pic from the archive as a goal is also a motivator - mm where's that great north run photo
  • MissT895
    MissT895 Posts: 30 Member
    Yep! Do it! Sometimes the scales don't show weightloss. I take it each mo th almost up to my second cannot wait to see the change. Even tho I only lost a few kilos in first month it was a massive difference in my body and it helps me going when I'm having a rough day.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    on the MFP app you can add photos when you weight in - including older posts and compare the pics on the app
    I have started doing this - I added some older pics then will be adding a pic every 7lbs to compare my journey and encourage me! I have a pic with 20lbs difference so far and theres defo a difference in my face, waist etc its really good
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    I did it then two weeks later did another one and noticed a huge change in my stomach despite not seeing much of a change in the scale. So in that way it was very motivating for me.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    A photo of me from my firm's holiday party has been a real motivator for me. I just look at that photo and think "yuck!" I haven't taken any after photos yet, thinking I'll do that this week so I can compare them. I should probably do a full body shot in the mirror now and in a few months to really see the difference. It's tough looking in the mirror everyday and thinking you don't see a difference, even if the scale shows weight loss.
  • fatboyslimRP50
    fatboyslimRP50 Posts: 25 Member
    nice tip Scot Laura, must look at that and upload the fat ones. Ironic that you don't have a pic! But perhaps the dogs are losing weight too, think it might just be fur tho