Is it possible to lose 138.8 lbs (63 kg) by Jan 1st 2017?

Options

Replies

• rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Oh and for the "How quickly can I lose X" question:

As a rule of thumb, 1% body weight per week is considered an upper limit for how aggressive you should be. So the formula for the number of weeks to your goal at a 1% loss per week is:

log(GW/CW)/log(0.99)

where the 0.99 represents 1% loss per week.

At that rate, it's about 70 weeks minimum. Since weight loss isn't predictable that's a minimum and not an absolute.
  • disturbedlusha
    disturbedlusha Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    Ok thanks all. I guess I didn't look at how unrealistic I was being because I just want to get rid of this weight already! My husband said that when I get back to that then I will be able to go back home and take my toddlers to meet my side of the family who I haven't seen for 3 years. Why are flights to the otherside of the earth so expensive!! Ah well at least I know that I can still get there it might just take a little longer.

Why not go back home anyway? It's not like airlines charge by the pound, and while I know from my experience being a 300+ lb. man, flying at that weight is annoying, your situation would actually make it pretty easy and relatively comfortable. If you're sitting in a middle seat between two kids you can actually raise the armrests and the toddlers would be small enough that it's not like you're crowding them. Flight rules only require the aisle armrests to stay down, all the others can be raised.

Even the airlines that require obese passengers to buy two seats - a situation I never encountered myself on any business or personal travel - wouldn't charge you more in this case because you ARE buying both seats next to you, for your own kids.

Yeah it's not so much the money. My husband also has a huge problem with my weight (join the club) and wants me looking like I did many moons ago lol. He knows how much I want to go home for a holiday and to take my babies to meet my family and learn the culture, my culture . So I guess he thinks it will motivate me, which it does, I was just hoping that it was possible for me to do so by this date so I could make it to a cousins 21st bday. But yea apparently asking if its possible is "just a whole lot of nope" lol but ill take all the advice and go forward.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Ok thanks all. I guess I didn't look at how unrealistic I was being because I just want to get rid of this weight already! My husband said that when I get back to that then I will be able to go back home and take my toddlers to meet my side of the family who I haven't seen for 3 years. Why are flights to the otherside of the earth so expensive!! Ah well at least I know that I can still get there it might just take a little longer.

Why not go back home anyway? It's not like airlines charge by the pound, and while I know from my experience being a 300+ lb. man, flying at that weight is annoying, your situation would actually make it pretty easy and relatively comfortable. If you're sitting in a middle seat between two kids you can actually raise the armrests and the toddlers would be small enough that it's not like you're crowding them. Flight rules only require the aisle armrests to stay down, all the others can be raised.

Even the airlines that require obese passengers to buy two seats - a situation I never encountered myself on any business or personal travel - wouldn't charge you more in this case because you ARE buying both seats next to you, for your own kids.

Yeah it's not so much the money. My husband also has a huge problem with my weight (join the club) and wants me looking like I did many moons ago lol. He knows how much I want to go home for a holiday and to take my babies to meet my family and learn the culture, my culture . So I guess he thinks it will motivate me, which it does, I was just hoping that it was possible for me to do so by this date so I could make it to a cousins 21st bday. But yea apparently asking if its possible is "just a whole lot of nope" lol but ill take all the advice and go forward.

Wow, that's disturbing.
  • Afw94
    Afw94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I lost 25kg last year without putting any effort in, if I'd been giving it 100% all year I think I could have lost 40 (maybe 45 at a real push... MAYBE) but 60+ is never going to happen. You'd be very surprised how much of a visual difference even 10kg makes though.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Your question is: if you eat 1200 calories per day for 347 days in a row, can you lose 139 pounds with a starting weight of 276?

The answer to that question is no.

Your starting TDEE is about 2600 calories/day. At your goal weight, your TDEE will be about 1900. Your average TDEE throughout the process will be roughly 2200. Using that number, you'll be eating on average a 1000 calorie deficit each day. (The deficit will be steeper at first, and less so as you go on, so this average works fine for our purposes here).

A deficit of 1000 calories per day for 347 days means you'll burn 347,000 calories. A pound of fat is 3500 calories (you'll lose some muscle too, but these calculations typically just use this number). So, 347,000 calories divided by 3500 calories per pound = 99.14 pounds lost.

So, if you eat 1200 calories every single day including Christmas, birthdays, other holidays and occasions, and never cheat, you'll lose about a hundred pounds, well shy of your goal of 139.

Here's what is needed to lose 139 pounds: you'd need to eat at a deficit of 1400 calories (or only eating 800 calories per day for almost an entire year). Not only is this not recommended, but even your plan of eating 1200 calories per day is not a good idea. Instead of 1200, eat more like 1600-1800.

At 1600 calories per day, that would be an average deficit of 600 calories. That would take you 810 days, or 2 years and a few months, which is much safer and more reasonable if you're trying to lose well over a hundred pounds. If you really need to lose it faster than that, consult the help of a dietitian, a doctor, or both.

Edited a typo.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Anything is possible.
  • mallory_2014
    mallory_2014 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    It may be possible... works out to be about 12 lbs a month.

However, those losses will most likely be more muscle than fat. You also will not be getting enough nutrients... and ultimately, it will not be sustainable.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    People will call you crazy and say that it's dangerous but I lost 113 in 10 months (could have been 9 months if not for two calorie binging vacays). PLEASE pay close attention to nutrition though --> with reduced calories, nutrition may suffer causing a lack of energy. Best of luck achieving your goal!

second this, also I will add that I have lost 120 lbs. since the end of Feb. 2015, it is possible, just starting eating right and moving more and it is amazing what your body can do
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry, but this sounds borderline abusive. Like he is holding you and your children hostage until you lose weight. Your children deserve to meet their family and learn about where they come from. I think having a reward planned for yourself can be a great weight-loss motivator, but it shouldn't be imposed on you by another person or it becomes emotional blackmail.
  • disturbedlusha
    Options
    People will call you crazy and say that it's dangerous but I lost 113 in 10 months (could have been 9 months if not for two calorie binging vacays). PLEASE pay close attention to nutrition though --> with reduced calories, nutrition may suffer causing a lack of energy. Best of luck achieving your goal!

second this, also I will add that I have lost 120 lbs. since the end of Feb. 2015, it is possible, just starting eating right and moving more and it is amazing what your body can do

Wow awesome. Let's hope I can do the same.
  • DonaldBlinks
    DonaldBlinks Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I'm really sorry, but this sounds borderline abusive. Like he is holding you and your children hostage until you lose weight. Your children deserve to meet their family and learn about where they come from. I think having a reward planned for yourself can be a great weight-loss motivator, but it shouldn't be imposed on you by another person or it becomes emotional blackmail.

+1

...particularly because this manipulation is causing you to consider losing weight at an unsafe rate.
  • acheben
    acheben Posts: 476 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

While I don't agree with your husband having any say over your weight or your ability to see your family, maybe you should talk to him about how important it is to you to be there for your cousin's 21st birthday and that losing almost 140lbs will take at least a year and a half at a safe rate of weight loss. I'm guessing he doesn't realize how unsafe it is to lose that much weight that quickly.
  • disturbedlusha
    Options

Oh nah its not like that. It's his way of motivating me and then I'll get rewarded once I get there. I am just ignorant and didn't know how to do all the math to lose the weight and didn't know all the other things mentioned. I've read of others losing alot of weight in less than a year so I was just asking if it would work.
  • HReneeP1
    HReneeP1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Disturbedlusha, I empathize with your angst regarding your husband. I have a husband who is always wanting me to lose weight to be healthy. My first question for you is: Do YOU want to lose the weight and be healthier? The second Question is: Why do you want to do it?

It's not different than being an alcoholic or drug addict when you get to a certain amount of weight. To be successful one needs to find the 'why' that will motivate us to move more and eat appropriately. I'm an emotional eater...when I'm stressed, when I'm angry, sad or even Happy...I turn to food to feed my satisfaction levels. I'm learning that I MUST find ways to redirect my emotions to steer clear of eating things I don't really need to eat.

I do think it's possible to lose 138.8 pounds in the period you've indicated. I do not believe that 1200 calories a day will satisfy your body's need for sustenance and to keep good energy for using with your two children and/or your husband. It's going to require a lot of work from you along with support from a physician and your husband/family.

I weight only 10 pounds more than you do and I need to eat approximately 1300 when I'm not exercising to maintain the weight I currently weigh and to keep my organs healthy. When I do exercise...depending on what that entails I need to eat between 1400-1800 of good calories to support my health. I know that the choices of food I eat - protein/carbs/fats also determines my weight loss. the key to it all is Planning.

Planning - Preparing meals ahead and/or healthy snacks for you and your children when running errands, shopping etc will help curb the desire to eat less than nutritious food.
    Planning - when you will go for a walk with or without your children in tow.
    Planning - a schedule within which your husband will watch your children while you work out at a gym, walk the block, work out to an exercise video or just do some meditation for yourself.
    Planning - Menus, and keeping a food diary to keep you honest (such as my fitness pal). I've also learned that if there is something I want to eat...not to deny myself, but to eat the recommended serving for that item...i.e., 1/4 cup ice cream instead of a huge bowl.

Additionally, while I do not agree with your husband that 'affording tickets to see your family' is a reward since visiting family should be an automatic part of your life - I kind of understand why he's chosen that venue. It sounds like tickets from where you live to visit your family are expensive and he is looking for something to motivate you to improve your health. That may not be the right motivator for you...but it sounds like it got you asking yourself "how badly do you want to see your family." It's my opinion, he is dangling the wrong 'carrot' in front of you. YOU and only you can decide what will motivate you to make adjustments and/or changes.
    I believe your husband truly wants you to be healthy and is looking for a way to get you moving so to speak. Talk with him...not in an argumentative way...cause I know that's how these conversations start with my husband and I quite frequently. Before you do talk with your husband...ask yourself the questions I wrote above. YOU need to know if this is something you truly want to expend energy to do. Be as brutally honest as you can with yourself.

While it's apparently important to him that you be healthy, does he honestly want you to weigh/look like you did pre-children (cause that most likely won't happen)---birth changes a woman's body shape...so you can get close, weigh the same, in fact - but your body will not LOOK like it did before.

I encourage you to determine your own path. Someone earlier in the posts said to start and work at it and see where it takes you (paraphrasing). Ultimately that is all you can do. It's awesome to have goals...taking action and treating yourself mentally well will help you get to your desired goal not matter the destination. If your husband is like mine in anyway...most likely he just want to see consistent change towards a healthier life.

Please keep us posted on your progress. All of us here want to help you progress and keep your spirits up while you take this journey.

{{{HUGS}}}
    :)R
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options

Oh nah its not like that. It's his way of motivating me and then I'll get rewarded once I get there. I am just ignorant and didn't know how to do all the math to lose the weight and didn't know all the other things mentioned. I've read of others losing alot of weight in less than a year so I was just asking if it would work.

There's a difference between your husband "having a huge problem with your weight" (your words) and your husband being concerned for your health. If your husband has a huge problem with your weight and is not allowing you to see your family until you have lost weight, then yes, that's borderline abusive.
  • disturbedlusha
    Options
    HReneeP1 wrote: »
    Disturbedlusha, I empathize with your angst regarding your husband. I have a husband who is always wanting me to lose weight to be healthy. My first question for you is: Do YOU want to lose the weight and be healthier? The second Question is: Why do you want to do it?

It's not different than being an alcoholic or drug addict when you get to a certain amount of weight. To be successful one needs to find the 'why' that will motivate us to move more and eat appropriately. I'm an emotional eater...when I'm stressed, when I'm angry, sad or even Happy...I turn to food to feed my satisfaction levels. I'm learning that I MUST find ways to redirect my emotions to steer clear of eating things I don't really need to eat.

I do think it's possible to lose 138.8 pounds in the period you've indicated. I do not believe that 1200 calories a day will satisfy your body's need for sustenance and to keep good energy for using with your two children and/or your husband. It's going to require a lot of work from you along with support from a physician and your husband/family.

I weight only 10 pounds more than you do and I need to eat approximately 1300 when I'm not exercising to maintain the weight I currently weigh and to keep my organs healthy. When I do exercise...depending on what that entails I need to eat between 1400-1800 of good calories to support my health. I know that the choices of food I eat - protein/carbs/fats also determines my weight loss. the key to it all is Planning.

Planning - Preparing meals ahead and/or healthy snacks for you and your children when running errands, shopping etc will help curb the desire to eat less than nutritious food.
    Planning - when you will go for a walk with or without your children in tow.
    Planning - a schedule within which your husband will watch your children while you work out at a gym, walk the block, work out to an exercise video or just do some meditation for yourself.
    Planning - Menus, and keeping a food diary to keep you honest (such as my fitness pal). I've also learned that if there is something I want to eat...not to deny myself, but to eat the recommended serving for that item...i.e., 1/4 cup ice cream instead of a huge bowl.

Additionally, while I do not agree with your husband that 'affording tickets to see your family' is a reward since visiting family should be an automatic part of your life - I kind of understand why he's chosen that venue. It sounds like tickets from where you live to visit your family are expensive and he is looking for something to motivate you to improve your health. That may not be the right motivator for you...but it sounds like it got you asking yourself "how badly do you want to see your family." It's my opinion, he is dangling the wrong 'carrot' in front of you. YOU and only you can decide what will motivate you to make adjustments and/or changes.
    I believe your husband truly wants you to be healthy and is looking for a way to get you moving so to speak. Talk with him...not in an argumentative way...cause I know that's how these conversations start with my husband and I quite frequently. Before you do talk with your husband...ask yourself the questions I wrote above. YOU need to know if this is something you truly want to expend energy to do. Be as brutally honest as you can with yourself.

While it's apparently important to him that you be healthy, does he honestly want you to weigh/look like you did pre-children (cause that most likely won't happen)---birth changes a woman's body shape...so you can get close, weigh the same, in fact - but your body will not LOOK like it did before.

I encourage you to determine your own path. Someone earlier in the posts said to start and work at it and see where it takes you (paraphrasing). Ultimately that is all you can do. It's awesome to have goals...taking action and treating yourself mentally well will help you get to your desired goal not matter the destination. If your husband is like mine in anyway...most likely he just want to see consistent change towards a healthier life.

Please keep us posted on your progress. All of us here want to help you progress and keep your spirits up while you take this journey.

{{{HUGS}}}
    :)R

Great advice thank you for understanding!
  • kissedbythesunshine
    kissedbythesunshine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Side eye to all the online marriage counselors.
  • disturbedlusha
    Options
    Side eye to all the online marriage counselors.

Lol
  • KarolineSM
    KarolineSM Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Please always remember that no mater how big or little you are, your loved ones should love for you not your size!!!! And if you loose all this weight it will not eliminate all your problems...... My suggestion is still to monitor your calorie intake, make sure it is a balanced diet (your body needs the right nutrients) and move more. You will loose weight. And if you only loose 52 lbs, that is 52 lbs less of you and progress. Another suggestion is to set yourself "little goals". Like my weight when we moved the last time, about 30 lbs less then what I started out at. I gave myself a little prize, like a new pair of pants etc. and then moved on to the next goal and another 20-30 lbs less..... that is a great cure against getting to frustrated and helps feeling like you are one step closer to your goal...
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your question is: if you eat 1200 calories per day for 347 days in a row, can you lose 139 pounds with a starting weight of 276?

The answer to that question is no.

Your starting TDEE is about 2600 calories/day. At your goal weight, your TDEE will be about 1900. Your average TDEE throughout the process will be roughly 2200. Using that number, you'll be eating on average a 1000 calorie deficit each day. (The deficit will be steeper at first, and less so as you go on, so this average works fine for our purposes here).

A deficit of 1000 calories per day for 347 days means you'll burn 347,000 calories. A pound of fat is 3500 calories (you'll lose some muscle too, but these calculations typically just use this number). So, 347,000 calories divided by 3500 calories per pound = 99.14 pounds lost.

So, if you eat 1200 calories every single day including Christmas, birthdays, other holidays and occasions, and never cheat, you'll lose about a hundred pounds, well shy of your goal of 139.

Here's what is needed to lose 139 pounds: you'd need to eat at a deficit of 1400 calories (or only eating 800 calories per day for almost an entire year). Not only is this not recommended, but even your plan of eating 1200 calories per day is not a good idea. Instead of 1200, eat more like 1600-1800.

At 1600 calories per day, that would be an average deficit of 600 calories. That would take you 810 days, or 2 years and a few months, which is much safer and more reasonable if you're trying to lose well over a hundred pounds. If you really need to lose it faster than that, consult the help of a dietitian, a doctor, or both.

Edited a typo.

I'm quoting myself so that you read it. I read all the other replies and while they're mostly written with good intentions, my reply is the only one that provides the information that matters. That is, why the answer to your specific question is no, and what would be needed to actually accomplish your goal (even though it's not recommended). Feel-good notions like "anything is possible," personal anecdotes with varying relevance to your situation, and marriage advice don't really accomplish much. Weight loss is a numbers game, and I provided the only numbers that matter. Let me know if you have any questions.