"Beginner Vegetables"

Options
Right now I only eat carrots, potato and turnip. These are the only vegetables that I've really grown up eating so basically they're really the only vegetables I know. I want to start adding more vegetables to my eating so I'm looking for some vegetable recipes that would appeal to a fairly picky eater. I'm not really concerned how they're prepared (baked with oils, boiled, wrapped in bacon) because however I prepare them, it's better than getting no vegetables at all. I will work around those vegetables to my diary.

Replies

• tabby_123
    tabby_123 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    If you like potatoes, then sweet potatoes (baked) and butternut squash (peeled, chopped into 1 inch chunks, and baked) should be palatable for you.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Roasting vegetables is a quick way to make them delicious! Seriously you can cut up basically any veggie and throw it in the oven and in 30-45 minutes it will come out tasting delicious.

A good starter roaster is sliced eggplant. Top with pizza sauce, mozzarella cheese, and mini pepperonis it is pretty darned good.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have gotten all of the non-brussels-sprouts-eaters in my family to eat them by making them this way: 4 slices of bacon (I use "uncured") cut up into small chunks. 1 lb of Brussels sprouts. Slice off the bottom of the sprouts and slice the sprout in half. Fry the bacon, until it is halfway done, dump in the sprouts, stir, wait for them to look soft and a little burnt in places and WALA! Yummy veggies!
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I will eat any veggie, but the rest of my family is not so keen. Although, they will eat pretty much any vegetable if it's stir fried with Asian sauces. Check package labeling; many are not high in calories. If Asian isn't yor thing, even using sauces or marinades meant for meat on your veggies can make them palatable and more familiar to you.

Just try one new veggie a week. Go at your own pace. You may surprise yourself on what you like (or will at least find able to eat occasionally).
  • schmanciepants
    schmanciepants Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I buy frozen cauliflower, microwave it, and puree it. I add it to tomato sauces and my tomato soup to get the family added vegetables. Also works with roasted eggplant, peppers, and onions - roast, cool, and puree with tomato sauce.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I suggest roasting with some veggies you like and new ones mixed in.

http://whatsgabycooking.com/parmesan-roasted-potatoes/

I do the above recipe except i add carrots and broccolli to the potatoes. It is seriously EXCELLENT.

I also like roasting veggies in the oven with just olive oil and garlic.

Zuchinni and Squash i recommend sauteed, i do it the southern way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEDd3envb8

Cabbage i cook this way-
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQZGpf7dQSk

I also love green beans roasted, sauteed, boiled, etc.

• sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Sugar snap peas. Closest you can get to candy in a vegetable. Roasted cauliflower is also great with just a spritz of oil or butter and salt, or dressed up with any sort of spice or even a little cheese, especially (IMO) a touch of parmesan or romano.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    I have gotten all of the non-brussels-sprouts-eaters in my family to eat them by making them this way: 4 slices of bacon (I use "uncured") cut up into small chunks. 1 lb of Brussels sprouts. Slice off the bottom of the sprouts and slice the sprout in half. Fry the bacon, until it is halfway done, dump in the sprouts, stir, wait for them to look soft and a little burnt in places and WALA! Yummy veggies!

Yup, I got a non-brussels-sprouts-eater to eat them via the adding bacon method too :D
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Yup, I got a non-brussels-sprouts-eater to eat them via the adding bacon method too :D

If you can find them, then you could also probably get them to eat the brussels sprout leaves in the same manner. They have a very nice subtle brussels sprout flavour and the consistency of a collard green.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    For the record, roasting veggies and a lot of other ways to make veggies 'taste good' don't work on everyone. I hate most veggies, and roasting them has had no effect in making them taste better to me. (though I will confess fried cauliflower isn't half bad!)

If you're looking for other veggies to eat, you might consider adding things to a salad. I tend to prefer raw veggies over cooked, so adding spinach leaves and carrots to a salad is much better for me than trying to cook them. I will also eat sweet peas and I love corn. Both are mild enough they're good to start with and try. And, both come in single serve steam packs in the freezer section.

One thing I will suggest is don't get canned veggies if you can possibly avoid it! Even veggies I like I don't like canned versions of. If you can't get fresh, frozen is good too. There's also some frozen ones with seasoning if you want to try something and see if you like it.
  • mjwarbeck
    Options
    We (especially the kids) eat tons of vegetables...hard to provide recipes without some guidance

When we are cooking Chinese (usually Sichuan) we always have one of Snow Pea shoots, Gai Lan, water spinach or Bok Choi. Will often have an edamame dish as well. Kids love it cooked in a bit of garlic and then make a sauce using a little oyster sauce, water and starch (they call it garlic sauce and love it). You could make it a Budda's feast and include a mix of veggies and mushrooms. Will also do a fish fragrant eggplant that is incredible (though lots of oil...so don't eat a ton).

Lots of green beans (again common in asian cuisines).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lots of good advice so far. Sauteed zucchini plus summer squash (in a pan with a bit of butter, although olive oil will work), with some mushrooms if you like them, all sauteed together was probably the first vegetable dish I really enjoyed as a kid. Green beans (fresh, not canned, the skinnier french ones are often a good place to start) are also delicious prepared the same way. I will sometimes add some dill and pine nuts. Frozen peas are easy to use and tasty.

Asparagus was another vegetable I fell in love with early on. It's unfortunately hard to find at its best right now (it's one that tends to be affected more by being out of season), but a good way to try it is either roasted very briefly or something like this: http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/prosciutto-wrapped-asparagus-with-lemony-bread-crumbs (you can also use bacon).

Adding vegetables to other foods -- like making a soup with vegetables or a pasta sauce with some zucchini and spinach added or a stir fry is a good option too. I make a vegetable omelet almost every morning with some kind of green (spinach most commonly) plus some other vegetable -- this morning I sauteed some onions and zucchini, added spinach, and then added my eggs and feta cheese. That's another tasty way to work in some vegetables if you like omelets (I also eat them for a fast dinner sometimes).
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

If you can find them, then you could also probably get them to eat the brussels sprout leaves in the same manner. They have a very nice subtle brussels sprout flavour and the consistency of a collard green.

Where do you get just the leaves? Or do you mean peeling the sprouts? Hmm...now I want to try that!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    For the record, roasting veggies and a lot of other ways to make veggies 'taste good' don't work on everyone. I hate most veggies, and roasting them has had no effect in making them taste better to me. (though I will confess fried cauliflower isn't half bad!)

If you're looking for other veggies to eat, you might consider adding things to a salad. I tend to prefer raw veggies over cooked, so adding spinach leaves and carrots to a salad is much better for me than trying to cook them. I will also eat sweet peas and I love corn. Both are mild enough they're good to start with and try. And, both come in single serve steam packs in the freezer section.

One thing I will suggest is don't get canned veggies if you can possibly avoid it! Even veggies I like I don't like canned versions of. If you can't get fresh, frozen is good too. There's also some frozen ones with seasoning if you want to try something and see if you like it.

Another vote for avoiding canned vegetables.

baby.jpg
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Right now I only eat carrots, potato and turnip. These are the only vegetables that I've really grown up eating so basically they're really the only vegetables I know. I want to start adding more vegetables to my eating so I'm looking for some vegetable recipes that would appeal to a fairly picky eater. I'm not really concerned how they're prepared (baked with oils, boiled, wrapped in bacon) because however I prepare them, it's better than getting no vegetables at all. I will work around those vegetables to my diary.

Parsnips.....these are like white carrots (they're related). They cook faster than carrots, so yummy.

Cauliflower - prices on fresh are crazy expensive right now. Look for frozen. This is a really mild flavored veggie. Roasted is great (but not for frozen). Just steam it and add spices (butter, garlic salt and pepper). The flavor is so mild that people even mash this with potatoes.

Fresh green beans. I grew up eating canned, but fresh green beans are soooooo much better. You can choose lightly steamed for a firm texture, or fully steamed for a softer texture. Grilling is a good way to cook these too.
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I used to dislike veg, I would only have sweetcorn, potatoes and tomatoes. Anything else I could not get over that feeling of wanting to sick whenever I tried it.

I started eating veg by making sure it was with my meat, like i would eat them together to cover the taste and first I still disliked it.Then making alternatives for potato like cauliflower mash.

I found after gym that veg could be bought cheaply to use that day and then I would just have random veg. I found myself really like spinach and green beans and roasted vegetables are awesome, you can just add herbs on it to alter tastes.

Now I can even appreciate the taste of most vegetables or can mix them/stir fry them.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Zoodles are a favorite here, cooked in olive oil and garlic with a bit of crunch still left in them.

Roasted cabbage is a new one for me this week. Served with grilled chicken seasoned with a bit of olive oil and the Bragg's organic sprinkle seasoning. I threw in some garlic cloves to roast with the cabbage and it was delicious.

• soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here's another vote for raw veggies. I like most veggies any way you cook them, roasted or grilled especially. But, I know my daughter is more willing to try a new veggie in the raw. Zucchini is very mild tasting and very versatile. I just had some in a sauteed veggie wrap with mushrooms, spinach and red peppers...with an ounce of bacon and a half ounce Sharp cheddar, haha! Hey, only 327 cal!
  • mjwarbeck
    Options
    mjwarbeck wrote: »

Where do you get just the leaves? Or do you mean peeling the sprouts? Hmm...now I want to try that!

No I mean the actual leaves of the plant. You take the leaves, remove the main stem and then julienne the leaves. You can often find them at fresh markets or in the garden (we actually didn't have many actual brussels sprouts, but lots of leaves...it is great as just like kale, they survive well into the winter...will be harvesting the last plant this week (it's been minus 10C with snow).
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Steamable frozen veggies FTW.