Why 1200 MFP?

Options
So it's my understanding that 1200 is the calorie goal MFP spits out as the default for women a lot of times; it is my calorie goal presently.

I've ran my numbers through different calculators recommended here and received significantly higher calorie goals for me to lose... not sure what to do.

Stats:
F, 29, 183lb (started at 194) and losing steadily.
Sedentary desk job but I do work out at moderate intensity 3-5 days/wk.

In short, Could I be eating more?

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Probably.

What goal did you tell it? What activity level? If you tell it 2lbs/ week and sedentary, yeah, it's going to give you 1200. It's going to estimate low for your TDEE and then subtract 1000 calories a day, which would actually be less than 1200 but that's as low as it goes. Tell it 0.5 to 1lb a week and maybe lightly active. I don't think many people are as "sedentary" as MFP seems to think.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    TDEE calculators include exercise. MFP follows NEAT, which does not, and is why you log exercise separately.

If you feel satisfied with your hunger and results at 1200, then stick with it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    MFP figures out your maintenance calories (excluding exercise) by looking at your:
    • non-exercise activity level
    • height

Then it takes that number and, for each half pound you tell MFP that you want to lose per week, it subtracts 250 calories. So if your maintenance number is 1800 and you say you want to lose 1 pound per week, it does the math:

1800 - (2 x 250) = 1800 - 500 = 1300

The minimum goal it will give you is 1200. In the example above, if the person chose to lose 1.5 pounds per week, the math would be:

1800 - (3x250) = 1800 - 750 = 1050

Since 1050 is less than 1200, MFP will set the goal at 1200.

Many (most?) women run into the 1200 calorie goal when chosing to lose above 1 pound per week, unless they are very heavy to start with.
  • ren3liz
    ren3liz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    2lb per week sedentary, you nailed it. So it sounds like I should stick with 1200 and then just eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories (and I pretty much always want to). I measure with measuring spoons, cups, and eyeball portions - I don't use a scale - so there's a good chance I'm eating a couple hundred more calories than I think I am, anyway. Either way, I'm losing... I just find that I have to be EXTREMELY diligent to keep 1200, and I don't have room for the finer things in life, like red wine. :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Most other calculators include exercise in your activity level and thus would include an estimate of those calories required to fuel that activity in your targets...MFP does not.

You also have to make sure you're comparing apples to apples in RE to rate of loss goals...many calculators will take a % cut from your TDEE...say 20% which may or may not be comparable to telling MFP you want to lose 1 Lb per week or 2 Lbs per week, etc.

I think most people who get 1200 are probably setting a goal of 2 Lbs per week with an activity level of sedentary (even though they're probably not) and not taking into account any exercise activity.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    So assuming I will stick with my goal of 2lb per week for a bit longer, what is the better choice - switch my activity level to "lightly active" and see how the calorie goal changes, or keep it @ sedentary and use the "extra" calories?

I don't have a fitbit or anything like that, so my exercise calories are what the treadmill spits out at me or an MFP estimate- I don't enter things like dog walks, etc. Knowing those estimates run high I don't eat back ALL of those calories, but I'm always hungry enough to eat a portion.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    Also, I am amazed at the people on these forums that say they aren't hungry enough to meet their calorie goal. Even a low calorie goal like 1200. I'm starving, give some of your food to me! Haha :)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    How long have you been eating at the 1200 calories? How fast are you losing? If you want to eat more and accept the fact that you might lose slowly, go for it. Being not miserable is pretty important to sticking with things long term, so if that glass of wine is worth it, do it.
  • ren3liz
    Options
    I have been at this since 11/23 and have lost 11lb in total. My initial goal was 1lb per week, I upped it to 2lb per week on 1/4 participating in a weight loss competition at work. So I've lost almost exactly 1lb per week overall, loss stalled over the holidays.

(also - thank you everyone!!)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    ren3liz wrote: »
    Also, I am amazed at the people on these forums that say they aren't hungry enough to meet their calorie goal. Even a low calorie goal like 1200. I'm starving, give some of your food to me! Haha :)

A lot of those people are eating more than they think (i.e., not accurately weighing/measuring/logging food.)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

most of them are eating more than they think they are.

after all, if 1200 cals was enough to stuff you to the point of not being able to eat anymore, no one would have a weight problem.....
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    This may help with how the 1200 is calculated...
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

also... a decent digital scale can run about $20 - you'd be surprised how bad your eyeballs are.
    GET THE SCALE. lol

if you want to see what mfp calcs your baseline at - set your goal to maintenance and check the recommended values for sedentary, lightly active, etc. Then you'll better understand what is being recommended in terms of the amount of calories you should consume.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    So it's my understanding that 1200 is the calorie goal MFP spits out as the default for women a lot of times; it is my calorie goal presently.

I've ran my numbers through different calculators recommended here and received significantly higher calorie goals for me to lose... not sure what to do.

Stats:
    F, 29, 183lb (started at 194) and losing steadily.
    Sedentary desk job but I do work out at moderate intensity 3-5 days/wk.

In short, Could I be eating more?

For a while, at least (and maybe permanently, if you're fine with a slower loss rate), I would think, based on my experience:

My SW was 183, same as your CW. I'm 60 y/o, 5'5". For about 3 months, I ate at 1500 gross while estimating calories & portions, so was probably really eating more like 1700-1800 if not more, and lost 2lbs/week most of that time. When I started to level off weight-wise around the high/mid 150s, I joined MFP & started weighing/logging my food & exercise. I did 1200 net for a few weeks, 1500-1700 gross (from eating back exercise), and resumed losing around 2 pounds a week.

Once I got to about 20 pounds above goal, I increased calories until I lost at 1lb/week, then at 10 pounds above goal, increased again to go to 0.5lb/week.

A *much* smaller me (60 pounds down, 123-ish pounds) burns fewer calories, of course, so I'm now eating at 1560 net to lose the 0.5 pounds weekly, and seem to be pretty much on that rate. (I'm "reverse dieting" to coast into maintenance at this point, very close to goal.) I do have a higher calorie budget than MFP estimates for this loss level (maybe because I'm more muscular than average for my age? I dunno.). But you're quite a bit younger than I am.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I weigh about 95% of the things I eat. And it happens on some days, like today, that I come in at less than 1200 calories for the day. I'm not starving, even though I hiked Table Mountain yesterday. Low-cal jelly, cucumber slices, black tea (no sugar and no milk), and enough water are what get me through successful days like today. I also find that a late breakfast is very helpful, ie my eating ''window'' is smaller, eg from 1pm to 8pm.
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    2lb per week sedentary, you nailed it. So it sounds like I should stick with 1200 and then just eat back at least a portion of my exercise calories (and I pretty much always want to). I measure with measuring spoons, cups, and eyeball portions - I don't use a scale - so there's a good chance I'm eating a couple hundred more calories than I think I am, anyway. Either way, I'm losing... I just find that I have to be EXTREMELY diligent to keep 1200, and I don't have room for the finer things in life, like red wine. :)

Mine is 1.5 and sedentary and it set me to 1200 as well. I only measure with spoons and cups and the eyeball. I have only started logging again 10 days ago for a challenge at work as well. I feel your pain of giving up the finer things and on some days feeling like I am starving and constantly think about food. Other days I am fine. Just wanted to let you know you are not alone!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I have been at this since 11/23 and have lost 11lb in total. My initial goal was 1lb per week, I upped it to 2lb per week on 1/4 participating in a weight loss competition at work. So I've lost almost exactly 1lb per week overall, loss stalled over the holidays.

(also - thank you everyone!!)

If you aren't super duper hungry and are content eating where you are for the sake of the competition, go for it. I'd make sure you are strength training and getting adequate protein. You are risking muscle loss losing that fast.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

A lot of them are in their first week or two of 1200 and are laser focused on their eating and the idea of weight loss, which can cause you to feel satisfied on little. Especially if they're really focusing on getting in lots of produce and lean protein and water. It typically changes.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    You say you have already been losing weight, are you losing at a rate you want? Then you are eating the right amount of food.

Losing too fast, then eat more.

Forget the calculators, you sound like you have real life data you can use.
  • morganfitnesspal
    morganfitnesspal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Ive managed to lose close to 60lbs this year. My one piece of advice......eat more food!!! For something to work, it has to be sustainable longterm and 1200 calories isnt sustainable. Youll just end up regaining all the weight you lose. Id suggest using the online calculators to determine how much food you need to maintain your current weight and then cut 100 cals/day each week until you create a 400 calorie deficit. It wont produce fast weight loss, but youll be able to stick with it. Id also recommend eating at least 600 calories for breakfast. It really helps control night time cravings.
  • JimKeegan555
    JimKeegan555 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    MireyGal76 wrote: »
    also... a decent digital scale can run about $20 - you'd be surprised how bad your eyeballs are.
    GET THE SCALE. lol.

I have a scale, I was waaay off eyeballing. Buuut a serving (30g) of 5yr cheddar (love it too much lol) is much larger than I thought.