Why 1200 MFP?

Options
13»

Replies

• ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I understand resistance to the scale. If you get the results you want without it, go you! When what I always did to maintain wasn't working anymore in my late 40's, I had to try something different, which was get a scale. Whew-- I never really realized what a hassle all that estimating was! A scale was so much less effort AND more accurate! And I lost the weight I wanted to as expected when accuracy improved. It's $15 and it saves effort, IMHO.

Also, a lot of people have had long term success at 1200/day. They tend to be small in stature and not terrifically active, and it works for them. I can hit all my macros in 1200 and can feel satisfied several days, but it's just not enough for me long term at my regular activity level. Bottom line: more calories keeps me more consistent. It takes trail and error to find your sustainable deficit calories, and it is very individual.

ETA: The closer to GW, the smaller the deficit and the smaller the margin of error. That means more accuracy helps more than ever--another reason for using a scale. Plus wine. :wink:
  • MsDonaB
    MsDonaB Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I started with MFP's fave level of 1200, but I decided I was setting myself up for failure because, like you, I was "hangry". I currently get about 30 minutes of intentional movement a day and MFP shows I burn around 250 calories. I increased my calories this past week to 1400. I weigh in on Monday mornings, so we'll see if it worked or not.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    trjjoy wrote: »
    I weigh about 95% of the things I eat. And it happens on some days, like today, that I come in at less than 1200 calories for the day. I'm not starving, even though I hiked Table Mountain yesterday. Low-cal jelly, cucumber slices, black tea (no sugar and no milk), and enough water are what get me through successful days like today. I also find that a late breakfast is very helpful, ie my eating ''window'' is smaller, eg from 1pm to 8pm.

I'm sorry. I mean no disrespect, but I don't consider coming in "under 1200 calories for the day" a successful day. It's called under eating,
    I've been there so I know how little food that is and forget getting a balanced diet for under 1200 calories.
    I do believe a smaller eating window helps a lot of people met their goals.
  • frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Ive managed to lose close to 60lbs this year. My one piece of advice......eat more food!!! For something to work, it has to be sustainable longterm and 1200 calories isnt sustainable. Youll just end up regaining all the weight you lose. Id suggest using the online calculators to determine how much food you need to maintain your current weight and then cut 100 cals/day each week until you create a 400 calorie deficit. It wont produce fast weight loss, but youll be able to stick with it. Id also recommend eating at least 600 calories for breakfast. It really helps control night time cravings.

This^^^trying to stick to 1200 calories set me up for binge eating when I never had a problem with binge eating in the past. Eat more and lose slower. It's sustainable and healthier for your body and your emotional health.
  • ren3liz
    ren3liz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ive managed to lose close to 60lbs this year. My one piece of advice......eat more food!!! For something to work, it has to be sustainable longterm and 1200 calories isnt sustainable. Youll just end up regaining all the weight you lose. Id suggest using the online calculators to determine how much food you need to maintain your current weight and then cut 100 cals/day each week until you create a 400 calorie deficit. It wont produce fast weight loss, but youll be able to stick with it. Id also recommend eating at least 600 calories for breakfast. It really helps control night time cravings.

This^^^trying to stick to 1200 calories set me up for binge eating when I never had a problem with binge eating in the past. Eat more and lose slower. It's sustainable and healthier for your body and your emotional health.

I've adjusted my goal to 1lb/week so it changed my goal on MFP to 1420 I think (still sedentary -- so + some exercises calories when I work out). I weighed in at 11lb lost on Thurs 1/21 and the scale has been up between 2-5lb since then. Shrug. Water weight. Confused on what number to believe. Oh well. I did just buy a scale today so I can start weighing consistently - prior to this I only weighed at work (this is how I gained 30lb apparently - never weighing myself).
  • ren3liz
    ren3liz Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ren3liz wrote: »

I've adjusted my goal to 1lb/week so it changed my goal on MFP to 1420 I think (still sedentary -- so + some exercises calories when I work out). I weighed in at 11lb lost on Thurs 1/21 and the scale has been up between 2-5lb since then. Shrug. Water weight. Confused on what number to believe. Oh well. I did just buy a scale today so I can start weighing consistently - prior to this I only weighed at work (this is how I gained 30lb apparently - never weighing myself).

HA, I should say - that is not HOW I gained 30lb. :) But I think I would have taken action sooner had I been looking at a number on a scale.