Butt building workout?

Options
Has anyone successfully built a nice sized butt through strength training. Most butt toning exercises make it more toned but smaller and less shapely.

Replies

• awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    From what I understand building it up takes a lot of time compared to other muscles! But I do donkey kicks, squats, pelvic raises and if you go to the gym they have machines that state that they work the glutes!
  • xclassiqx
    xclassiqx Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    From what I understand building it up takes a lot of time compared to other muscles! But I do donkey kicks, squats, pelvic raises and if you go to the gym they have machines that state that they work the glutes!
    What she said.
    Add in deadlifts, lunges, split squats, jump squats, jump lunges, bridges, squats with lateral leg raise,side lunge, half squats, step-ups, box jumps, prisoner squats for variety. Try to target all sides of the glute and add weight for resistance. Eventually lift heavy to really see results.
  • marioalberto1
    marioalberto1 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Barbell Squats, walking lunges, romanian dead-lifts is all you need IMHO. You can add some hip thrusts /glute bridges also.
  • awise19
    awise19 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    What she said and also deadlifts, lunges, split squats, jump squats, jump lunges, bridges, squats with lateral leg raise,side lunge, half squats, step-ups, box jumps, prisoner squats. Try to target all sides of the glute and add weight for resistance.

I love working the butt!
    All those are amazing too!
    & yes if you google it, it will show you what muscle in the glute that each workout actually works. So if you want to raise it there are certain workouts, if you want to shape it there are certain workouts. It is pretty great!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for a workout that focuses on a specific body part you're already doing it wrong. A proper training regimen should make sure the whole body is seeing appropriate work. Go through a proper training regimen that, over the course of a week, hits the whole body _hard_ and your butt will benefit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,619 Member
    Options
    It's not the exercises, but the amount of volume and resistance along with calorie surplus. So I would say up to 16 to 24 sets.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amcsouth
    amcsouth Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My favourites are deadlifts, squats (all types) and lunges. Once you got proper form start increasing the weight. What works for me is lifting heavy with fewer reps! And don't neglect the rest of your body :)
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Has anyone successfully built a nice sized butt through strength training. Most butt toning exercises make it more toned but smaller and less shapely.

please show me these pictures of women who squat, deadlift, and do barbell hip thrusts who are LESS shapely in their glutes.
    they don't exist.
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    It's not the exercises, but the amount of volume and resistance along with calorie surplus. So I would say up to 16 to 24 sets.

IDEA Fitness member

ignore this nonsense.
    no one should be doing 16 to 24 sets of anything.
    the weight you use should be challenging for you. 3-12reps is ideal, per set.
    you really shouldn't need endless sets. if it's the right weight you'll only be able to do 1-3 sets.
    make sure you warm up properly and stretch, use a foam roller after too.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Squats.
    Deadlifts.
    Lunges.
    Barbell hip thrusts.

And to grow a muscle you pretty much need to eat at a calorie surplus or at least at maintenance.
  • theepervette
    theepervette Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    good post,
    i have a "big" butt.. but want to tone and firm
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

ignore this nonsense.
    you really shouldn't need endless sets. if it's the right weight you'll only be able to do 1-3 sets.

Hypertrophy can be different from strength. When training specifically for hypertrophy you need more "volume" than when training for strength. I agree that 16 to 24 seems high (but Niner has been training body builders forever so I'm sure there's some science to it) but more than 3 is definitely a good idea for hypertrophy. If you really want to build your butt you might do 5 sets of squats, 5 sets of lunges, and 5 sets of donkey kicks. That's 15 sets right there.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

ignore this nonsense.

16 - 24 sets isnt endless. But your 1-3 sets is laughable.

To the original poster I ask you this, as a more ACCURATE reply: HOW MUCH WEIGHT DO YOU WANT TO GAIN?

Women make fun of bodybuilders and use words like "tone" which doesn't exist, and talk about how they don't want to get bulky, then when it's time for the *kitten* questions, then you want toknow how to make it "bulky" (add more mass) Toning is building muscle on a small scale.

There is no butt lifting exercise or any of this other nonsense you might see from someone selling a dvd or other wise trying to talk you into it. You load a muscle, break it down, feed it, rest it, and it overcompensates for the work by packing more nutrients in itself and making itself bigger and stronger. How much bigger and stronger is a function of your intake and workout.

You can't create much change in mass with a non-sedentary muscle without feeding it. Unless you're trying to deny the basic laws of thermodynamics.

So again, you're talking about bodybuilding now, and the chance of you putting on some fat, then cutting back later to see what you added, since it's hard to add muscle mass without adding some amount of fat, especially for a female. So again, as usual, it comes down to dietary intake. Deadlifts, squats, glut bridges/thrusts, etc. for the work goes without saying. But don't start the usual female "chasing of the tail" trying to see big change in glute composition. Most women start over doing it and run into other problems later from this as they usually already had weak hip flexors, and most people don't know how to squat or lack proper strength and mobility to do proper squats for reps. So remember to stretch the hips after all of this work.

To sum up, i wouldn't recommend trying to build up your *kitten*. Learn how to do real movements and over time you'll have the *kitten* that you're supposed to have. 99% of women on youtube or in a magazine have had the *kitten* they've had, or close to it, their whole life. It's a genetic thing more than anything.

And again, if you're trying to lose weight and still trying to lose 50 lbs or even 10, where is the extra protein and nutrients going to come from to feed your changing of your *kitten*. You're not eating enough to survive on, per se, so trying to change muscle mass while on a deficit is a no no that bodybuilders are fairly aware of. You merely increase your chance of injury, fatigue, etc.
  • tattedbarbz
    Options
    I know things like squats and deadlifts work.. but I think there are some exercises that work your butt but dont necessarily build it.
  • uglybooty
    uglybooty Posts: 9
    Options
    I completely agree. I'm looking for the same thing. I notice people doing the Brazilian Butt Lift actually lose their booties. They look flat. I am looking for a way to lose weight and not lose the little butt that I do have as well as make it more round and plump.
  • Kkonowal
    Kkonowal Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Brazil butt lift.... Its AMAZING
  • AbdicoVeritas
    Options
    I've started rock climbing recently and if there's one thing that is very noticeable about all the girls that have been climbing for a while is that they have amazing butts! Also makes belaying more fun and it's a great sport anyways, very social too.
    As for lifting: other's gave decent advice it seems. Lift heavy, have good form, eat your proteins, sleep well and progressively overload. Can't go wrong!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    Options
    I know things like squats and deadlifts work.. but I think there are some exercises that work your butt but dont necessarily build it.

For the most part, you can't actually build new muscle without gaining weight and I see you still have 50lbs to lose. Lift while losing to maintain muscle. Worry about building when you are closer to goal.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,674 Member
    Options
    I used to have really big glutes when I was a speed skater. I'd suggest doing some of your cardio on rollerblades or a slide plank.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,006 Member
    Options
    Bump