Is diet soda really making me fat?

Options
I am trying to loose weight and I was wondering everyone's opinions on diet soda. It has zero calories, but many chemicals... Diet Coke really is my vice... Help!

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Too many calories makes you fat. My opinion is that diet soda tastes bad so I don't drink it. But I know a lot of thin people who drink a lot of diet soda.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Eating and drinking too many calories makes you fat. What you eat or drink doesn't matter. Just keep to your calories.
  • random255
    random255 Posts: 18 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I drink plenty of Diet Coke. My weight keeps moving down as I'd expect it to. I'd say you're fine. Drinking a decent amount of water helps too, so that your body doesn't feel the need to retain water weight. But the Diet Coke itself is just fine. Coke Zero too, for the win!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    No.
  • 75in2013
    75in2013 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Drink diet soda if you enjoy it :)

I think it's very important that you feel good while dieting. Don't try to deprave you of things that you like.

Since diet soda has zero calories it won't conflict with your diet goals. So it's easy to incorporate in your diet.

• clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I drink Diet soda all the time and have lost 50 lbs.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat and drink is full of chemicals.
  • jeepinshawn
    jeepinshawn Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I must 102lbs, I did and always have frank a lot of diet soda.
  • 100df
    100df Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    There are studies around the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas that say it's possible that they lead to cravings that lead to people overeating. I cut my consumption of diet sodas specifically because I think the caffeine led to not being able to go to sleep at night. Through tracking when I feel hungry, I have discovered that when I don't adhere to my "one a day" rule, I do feel hungrier.
  • adawson55510
    adawson55510 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm on a 16 week diet for a show and was craving a diet coke bad last night i actually had a dream about it lol. I just cut it for the reasons as said above chemicals and artificial sweeteners can't be optimal. But i'm sure a few a week won't do you any harm.
  • FabianMommy
    FabianMommy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I cut out all artificial sweeteners because I found it made my cravings for sugar worse but your mileage may vary. To answer your question, diet soda won't make you fat as it has no calories but like with everything, moderation is the way to go.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    As others have already mentioned, the soda itself and its chemicals aren't getting you fat. The result of drinking the chemicals on your hunger signals that may be your issue. I drank many diet sodas in my life and I wasn't ever overweight until I hit my 40's when my metabolism took a nosedive. I still use a Splenda now and then, but I try not too also. Everything in moderation, I guess.
  • jellybaby84
    jellybaby84 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Of course it won't make you fat.

Terribly unhealthy though. And I say that as a 6 can a day diet coke addict - thinning teeth, heart palpitations, nervous energy, sporadic insomnia. It's not a good thing to be addicted to if you can avoid it.

I'm quite thin though. I'll drink diet coke instead of eating or drinking something with calories so, as far as weight alone goes, it's a help not a hindrance.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    susan100df wrote: »
    There are studies around the artificial sweeteners in diet sodas that say it's possible that they lead to cravings that lead to people overeating. I cut my consumption of diet sodas specifically because I think the caffeine led to not being able to go to sleep at night. Through tracking when I feel hungry, I have discovered that when I don't adhere to my "one a day" rule, I do feel hungrier.
    I cut out all artificial sweeteners because I found it made my cravings for sugar worse but your mileage may vary. To answer your question, diet soda won't make you fat as it has no calories but like with everything, moderation is the way to go.
    wkwebby wrote: »
    As others have already mentioned, the soda itself and its chemicals aren't getting you fat. The result of drinking the chemicals on your hunger signals that may be your issue. I drank many diet sodas in my life and I wasn't ever overweight until I hit my 40's when my metabolism took a nosedive. I still use a Splenda now and then, but I try not too also. Everything in moderation, I guess.

These ^
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Personally, I really enjoy diet cola and lost while drinking it daily.

At its worst, I consider it a luxury purchase. It would be one of the first things I look at it I need to save some money
  • kyrannosaurus
    kyrannosaurus Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    The soda isn't making you fat. I drink it all the time, lost weight, no problem. It is however absolutely terrible for your teeth. I work in dentistry but don't listen to my own professional advice. I can't seem to kick the habit.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Nope. I've been drinking it for most of my life and have never been fat.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Drink diet soda almost every day and I am lean and thin. I drank diet soda every day when I was anorexic and was way underweight
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Everything you eat or drink has 'many chemicals' - chemical compounds are what everything is composed of. Diet soda will not make you gain (or retain) weight and is not unhealthy in moderation. In the rat studies where they found adverse effects, it was fed to the rats in massive doses which would be the equivalent of a human drinking something like a case (24 cans) of diet soda per day, every day.
  • memo1974
    memo1974 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I found this article on health.com. Also, to answer some of the earlier comments: being skinny or thin got nothing to do with being healthy.

The article:

When taken at face value, diet soda seems like a health-conscious choice. It saves you the 140-plus calories you'd find in a sugary soft drink while still satisfying your urge for something sweet with artificial sweeteners like aspartame, saccharin, and sucralose. But there's more to this chemical cocktail than meets the eye.

Artificial sweeteners have more intense flavor than real sugar, so over time products like diet soda dull our senses to naturally sweet foods like fruit, says Brooke Alpert, RD, author of The Sugar Detox. Even more troubling, these sugar stand-ins have been shown to have the same effect on your body as sugar. "Artificial sweeteners trigger insulin, which sends your body into fat storage mode and leads to weight gain," Alpert says.

Diet soda is calorie-free, but it won't necessarily help you lose weight. Researchers from the University of Texas found that over the course of about a decade, diet soda drinkers had a 70% greater increase in waist circumference compared with non-drinkers. And get this: participants who slurped down two or more sodas a day experienced a 500% greater increase. The way artificial sweeteners confuse the body may play a part, but another reason might be psychological, says Minnesota-based dietitian Cassie Bjork. When you know you're not consuming any liquid calories, it might be easier to justify that double cheeseburger or extra slice of pizza.

Drinking one diet soda a day was associated with a 36% increased risk of metabolic syndrome and diabetes in a University of Minnesota study. Metabolic syndrome describes a cluster of conditions (including high blood pressure, elevated glucose levels, raised cholesterol, and large waist circumference) that put people at high risk for heart disease, stroke, and diabetes, Bjork explains.

When you drink diet soda, you're not taking in any calories—but you're also not swallowing anything that does your body any good, either. The best no-calorie beverage? Plain old water, says Bjork. "Water is essential for many of our bodily processes, so replacing it with diet soda is a negative thing," she says. If it's the fizziness you crave, try sparkling water.

Excessive soda drinking could leave you looking like a Breaking Bad extra, according to a case study published in the journal General Dentistry. The research compared the mouths of a cocaine-user, a methamphetamine-user, and a habitual diet-soda drinker, and found the same level of tooth erosion in each of them. The culprit here is citric acid, which weakens and destroys tooth enamel over time.

Just one diet soft drink a day could boost your risk of having a vascular event such as stroke, heart attack, or vascular death, according to researchers from the University of Miami and Columbia University. Their study found that diet soda devotees were 43% more likely to have experienced a vascular event than those who drank none. Regular soda drinkers did not appear to have an increased risk of vascular events. Researchers say more studies need to be conducted before definitive conclusions can be made about diet soda's effects on health.

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20739512,00.html