Is diet soda really making me fat?

Options

Replies

• Naomipandybaxter
    Naomipandybaxter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I try and focus on the challenge of upping my cups of water throughout the day, I find switching from Pepsi max to water has made my skin look brighter and my digestion better, it maybe plain but you can argue with the results
  • BeetChew
    BeetChew Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Can you imagine a world where we would send famine victims diet soda?

"They can't lose any more weight! Quick send them some Diet Coke! That'll fatten them up!"

Coke Zero tastes better though.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    eating too many calories makes you fat. A zero calorie drink cannot make you fat.
  • sandi4711
    sandi4711 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

wkwebby wrote: »
    I still use a Splenda now and then, but I try not too also. Everything in moderation, I guess.

These ^[/quote]

Try stevia - it's non caloric and all natural

• coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    No. Consuming more calories than you burn is making you fat.
  • ponycyndi
    ponycyndi Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have lost 35 lbs without my diet coke. I was tired, cranky, and crabby enough, no need to make things worse.
  • MNMsMonique
    MNMsMonique Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I drink diet soda all the time and have constantly lost weight. I think the research has said that some people overcompensate for the extra calories saved by eating more. But if you are eating right and watching calories there is nothing wrong with diet soda when trying to lose weight. I think it gets a bad rep from all of the extra stuff added in that may be unhealthy (which has nothing to do with weight).
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    Diet coke really is not zero calories. The serving size contains less than 5, so it can be reported as zero. If you drank enough it would make an impact. For instance 3600 Fl oz would be around 1200 calories.
  • OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Diet soda does not make you gain or lose weight.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Everything is a chemical. Water is a chemical.
    There is nothing in diet soda that will slow your metabolism or cause you to gain fat.
    Any claims to the contrary by articles, reports or other forms of media are misinformed fear mongering.

Carry on.
  • RicMackie
    RicMackie Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    No, it is not....probably. There are no calories. So, no carbs, protein, or fat. Is is the excess of those 3 which convert to body fat. Although I don't have this problem, I've heard that the artificial sweeteners "can" be triggers for some; triggers cravings for more sweets and such. Like PonyCyndi above, Diet Coke (and others) are Godsends and helped me lose weight.
  • AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No. I lost 23 kg and still going while drinking diet soda like mad. It has no effect on weight loss.
    Diet coke really is not zero calories. The serving size contains less than 5, so it can be reported as zero. If you drank enough it would make an impact. For instance 3600 Fl oz would be around 1200 calories.

I have a can in front of me. 0.2 calories/100 ml. If you drank enough you would die from too much water before it makes an impact on weight loss
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I have an occasional diet soda, or sometimes if I have a 2 liter I'll drink the whole thing. Uhhh, otherwise I don't drink alot of diet soda.

Just don't forget your water.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

I'll make sure I don't drink 300 cans of Diet Coke in a day, so I should be safe.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I cut Diet Coke out of my diet about 6 weeks ago. I never felt like it had any effect on my weight in and of itself (because it doesn't have any calories), but I cut it out as part of an overhaul of my overall diet. TBH I feel a lot better now but that is also attributable to eating better in general. Can't hurt to cut it out of your diet, but it seems unlikely that keeping it in your diet if you like it is going to sabotage your weight loss. Just make sure your calories in are less than your calories out and you should lose weight. A Diet Coke here and there won't change that.
  • helaurin
    helaurin Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Obviously, it doesn't add to your caloric intake, so the diet drinks don't directly affect your weight. Besides what others have mentioned (chemicals, sodium, cravings for sweets and/or caffeine, impacting ability to sleep), I have recently heard that another issue to avoid carbonated beverages (which includes diet sodas) is that the carbonation temporarily stretches the stomach - which means that the "I'm full" signal would be delayed. I didn't see anything about it on the web, but I believe it was on a show about the current obesity epidemic in the US.
  • LinFlemmer331
    LinFlemmer331 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I was a diet soda addict! I drank them to fill me up at times and still gained weight, lots of weight. Everything I have read says that it fools your brain into thinking sugar is coming, and when it sees there is no sugar, your brain signals to eat more. As for a calorie is a calorie, I no longer believe that. Watch the movie, "That sugar film". Eye opening! Even if you believe that diet sodas don't make you fatter, that is a lot of chemicals entering your body, do you care about that? Good luck, what ever you decide.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    In a word... NO! excess calories make you fat! It's a stupid myth. I have been drinking diet drinks for three years now and lost 60lbs and have kept most of it off. I drink at least 4 diet drinks a day...
  • faidwen
    faidwen Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Although they don't contain CALORIES, they may contain lots of SALT, which in turn __MAY__ cause you to retain water.

:)
  • quiarga
    quiarga Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of a diet Coke over regular Coke. (However the opposite is true with Pepsi.) I used to drink them a lot more frequently, but now only on occasion. I like a diet soda with spicy food like if we have Mexican or Thai for dinner. Otherwise, I stick to water now and my morning coffee.

As long as it doesn't cause further cravings, it's still 0 calories!