Serving Sizes for Fruit and Vegetables

Options
1235»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    You honestly can't look at an apple and say "that looks quite a bit larger than yesterday's apple, it must have proportionately more calories. I should probably consider it as a 'large' apple, which is about a serving and a half"?

ALSO, on precise measurements, do you weigh the core when you're done to see how much you didn't eat? Do you account for the caloric difference in core and seeds vs. flesh? Just how much time are you devoting to this exact study of how many kCals are entering your body?

I don't weigh the inedible part, as that is not included in the calorie counts. I got a scale Christmas 2014 and it is faster and more accurate than using cups. Plus, no washing of said cups.

You'd still have to wash something though. Even if you put raw food directly on the scale I assume (hope) you'd wipe the scale off. But if you are adding ingredients to an already bubbling pot, you are going to have to put the food in something for weighing.

I couldn't care less whether you weigh your food or not but washing a measuring cup seems a silly reason to promote weighing unless you work with a filthy scale.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Medium can be pretty subjective if you are counting calories.
    Well, there's about a 15 calorie difference in between apple sizes. So, unless you are eating a LOT of apples, the delta isn't really a meaningful difference. You know when you're eating a medium apple (say, a pink lady) vs an extra small (like a crab apple). If you NEED to the gram measurements, well, then you'll need to use a scale and calculate to the gram. But for lifestyle use, a loose guideline is perfect. Having been counting calories on and off for 5 years, I can tell you that micromanaging 15 calories will make you crazy, and may cause stress eating.

Been there, done that.

Yes, I see your point and it is a handy quick-reference chart, but for someone like me, (short, old and only 10 pounds from goal weight) those 15 calories can make a difference, if it's 15 here, 15 there, and on and on. Most fruits and veggies are fairly low in calories, so the difference can be negligible, but some stuff is not, and the difference between a serving size and 1/2 cup can be a lot more than 15 calories. For an apple, I don't eat them much so I wouldn't really sweat it but for some stuff I would want to be more accurate.

Speaking of apples, I tried a new one this week, a Ruby Frost. Brand new species, apparently, and very tasty!
  • clslingluff
    clslingluff Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    @christieisready. Thank you!! The chart is fabulous ❤️❤️ would love to be friends