Oatmeal Help!

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member

Here are a couple ways I make my "oats". They're actually "zoats" though--I use grated zucchini to bulk them up because I cannot be bothered with a measly 40grams of oats for that calorie count. Protein powder as well.

4tjs4hzq7xp1.jpg
    plv9exo6f55m.jpg
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited January 2016
    gcaban2016 wrote: »
    This is how I make it and it's only 133 calories! Very tasty!

how is it only 133 calories? most oatmeals are 150 calories a 1/2 cup(40g).unless you are using plain instant oatmeal?
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I add fruit,nuts,chia seeds,sometimes hemp seed and protein powder to mine. sometimes I leave the protein powder out and put fruits,nuts,peanutbutter,and some spices like cinnamon. the possibilities are endless
  • keepitreal2017
    keepitreal2017 Posts: 2 Member
    Oats made with water, cook in microwave and top with low fat cottage cheese. Stuck on it for over a year now mmmmm. Carbs and protein, depending on what calories u want meal to be make accordingly.
  • scfarrant
    scfarrant Posts: 30 Member
    Oats are yum. I am certain they will start to gradually grow on you!

My favourite at the moment is: one packet plain oatmeal, 1 tbsp ground almonds (very filling), half a banana (sliced), sprinkle of pomegranate seeds/raisins/whatever's available, some chia seeds (optional-- jury is out on how good they actually are in your diet). Stick in microwave for 1m30.

Another secret if you really don't like them, is to make a smoothie with oats in it and then they are barely noticable. My favourite breakfast smoothie is: 1 banana, 2 tbsp plain yoghurt, 1 cup milk (whichever kind you prefer, soy works nice in a smoothie), 1 packet plain oatmeal.

One common misconception is that you can only do oats with milk. Untrue! They are also really nice mixed with your favourite yoghurt like you would with granola, and like the tips above, you can go wild on fruit, nut, seed combos!
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    arditarose wrote: »
    Here are a couple ways I make my "oats". They're actually "zoats" though--I use grated zucchini to bulk them up because I cannot be bothered with a measly 40grams of oats for that calorie count. Protein powder as well.

4tjs4hzq7xp1.jpg
    plv9exo6f55m.jpg

This looks so amazing, esp the second picture... I totally love that you added sprinkles as if it wasn't fun enough already!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

4tjs4hzq7xp1.jpg
    plv9exo6f55m.jpg

This is pretty much what I meant by 'you have to add a lot of calories of toppings to make it tasty' lol.
  • The_Ugly_One
    The_Ugly_One Posts: 23 Member
    As I said in another post, I don't know why everyone automatically tries to make oatmeal sweet. I find it gross. Try making it with low sodium chicken broth, garlic powder, and black pepper. Only add as much salt as you absolutely need to. I also add some sliced avocado on top occasionally. It's a million times better than sweet, syrupy, sugary oatmeal.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Made oatmeal for dinner last night...cooked it in chicken broth and v8 with corn, topped it with cheese and salsa - very yummy!!! Avocado, what a great idea, will have to add that topping to the leftovers!!!
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Baked or steel cut.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i just poured chocolate milk in mine and will have it for lunch
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    I would recommend Quaker Lower Sugar Maple & Brown Sugar Oatmeal and then add some cinnamon to it; the result is about 125-130 calories and it tastes great (IMO).
  • lucyheatpad
    lucyheatpad Posts: 1 Member
    I make overnight oats with protein powder added to make it much more filling! My basic recipe is
    • equal amounts of oats, nonfat plain greek yogurt and unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I will either do a half cup of each or a third of a cup depending on how hungry I am)
    • plus half scoop of protein powder (usually quest PB flavor, but vanilla or chocolate work fine as well)
    • plus cinnamon or other spices
    • plus some fruit (usually berries or chopped up apples).

You can also add nuts, banana or PB2 or a nut butter of your choice, depending on your caloric restrictions. I mix it all in a jar, let it sit in the fridge sealed overnight. In the morning I transfer it to a bowl and microwave it for warm oatmeal. This makes a thick, filling breakfast meal.
  • sdrinkall1
    sdrinkall1 Posts: 1 Member
    First I use steel cut oatmeal,, much better texture.. I add craisins, dried coconut, sliced almonds, and a touch of Stevia or brown sugar,, along with skimmed milk... So Yummy
  • dkpaulson58
    dkpaulson58 Posts: 2 Member
    Just discovered a great overnight crockpot recipe....1 cup steel oats, 4 cups water, 1 T cinnamon, 1-2 peeled and chopped up apples (I used Honeycrisp). Stir, set on low for 8 hours, I did it overnight. The next morning I spoon 1/2 to 1 cup into a bowl, add tsp of brown sugar and 1/4 cup of almond milk. It's delicious!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member
    I don't like rolled oats at all...I love steel cut oats, but rarely make the time to prepare them so I compromise with Coach's Oats...very similar texture to steel cut, but I can make them in 4 minutes in the microwave.

During the week I keep it pretty simple and usually just add almond slivers and some honey that my neighbor brings over every couple months or so...he's a bee keeper.

On weekends and sometimes for dinner I like to make savory oats...one of my favorites uses Kimchi and the other is a kind of Thai inspired creation cooked in chicken stock and then adding a bit of soy sauce, sauteed Thai chiles, ginger and garlic; a poached egg, avocado, and garnished with cilantro and green onions.

I enjoy oats, but if you don't I see no reason to force the issue. Yes, they are pretty nutritious...but so are a lot of things.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    sdrinkall1 wrote: »
    First I use steel cut oatmeal,, much better texture.. I add craisins, dried coconut, sliced almonds, and a touch of Stevia or brown sugar,, along with skimmed milk... So Yummy

Yes - much better texture.....unless it's over cooked. 8 hour crock pot doesn't work for me.....too mushy (maybe my crock pot is too hot).

Anyway - salt. Be sure to add salt before cooking

Pumpkin puree, brown sugar and cinnamon. Splash of milk.

There are savory recipes for oats too. http://www.shape.com/healthy-eating/meal-ideas/16-savory-oatmeal-recipes
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

4tjs4hzq7xp1.jpg
    plv9exo6f55m.jpg

This is pretty much what I meant by 'you have to add a lot of calories of toppings to make it tasty' lol.

Yep. The lowest calorie one I can come up with is 400 calories. I think the "cherry pie" one was 425. I baked it too and ate the whole thing out of a pie glass so it was worth it.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    I use steel cut oats too - I love the chewy texture. My fave topping is maple syrup and raisins or a few nuts.

The best thing I ever learned was that you can soak them in water overnight and then put it right on the stove the next morning to cut your cooking time down. I do this while camping too. You'll see recipes that tell you to boil the water first (not necessary), to soak overnight and eat without cooking (ew IMO) etc. I just add the oatmeal to a pot, add the water & cover and put in fridge. Take out the next morning, pop onto the stove and in about 8 mins it's cooked (instead of 30ish).