Oatmeal Help!

Options

Replies

• Mattr1
    Mattr1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why do people use instant oats? Old fashion are so much more tasty and dont take any longer. 3 min in the microwave, i add Brown sugar, cinnamon, chia, nuts,raisins and almond milk
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Mattr1 wrote: »
    Why do people use instant oats? Old fashion are so much more tasty and dont take any longer. 3 min in the microwave, i add Brown sugar, cinnamon, chia, nuts,raisins and almond milk

They taste the same to me, honestly.
  • Tanyawendell
    Tanyawendell Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like mine a little thick (I use less water), but I put in in 1/4 cup of each of different fruits - raspberries, apple, blueberries, strawberries, blackberries. Some days all of them. Applesauce will work if you don't have the apple. Its what I eat every morning. I throw in some Splenda packets (not sure how peeps feel about that but I'm OK with it)
  • madddfitness
    madddfitness Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love to put vanilla, cinnamon, a little agave, pecans/walnuts with a little bit of almond milk. Also, if you don't like oatmeal you could try chia seeds with coconut milk, vanilla and agave and put it in the fridge over night. It kinda of turns into a pudding consistancy. It's great with berries or nuts or whatever ya like!
  • dsdunn123
    dsdunn123 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do my oatmeal a little differently than most people, I think. I use steel cut because I like the texture, then instead of sweet I go savory, a little bit of shredded chicken, crushed red pepper and garlic powder mmmm. Try it. Trust me.
  • crisplof
    crisplof Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi! I love 0.5 cups of quick Oats, with 8 grinded unsalted almonds, some blueberries, a lot of cinnamon, and 1 cup of breeze vanilla almond milk. It's really really good :)
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal the same way for 60 years, exactly the way my parents made it for me: Quaker 1 Minute Oats, cooked on the stove. After putting it in a bowl, I add a small amount of butter and milk and a teaspoon of sugar. The texture is nice; it's not gummy. In fact, it is comfortably just right. Only do this on the weekends, but as my childhood comfort food, it is perfect.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Mattr1 wrote: »

They taste the same to me, honestly.

Ditto
  • bigbodybake
    bigbodybake Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a t spoon of pb2 chocolate peanut butter, and half a thing of oikos Greek yogurt, about 270 calories, be full for 4-5 hours
  • jamebb
    jamebb Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Are you cooking it with water? That might be your first problem. Unless it's made with some kind of milk (dairy, soy, nut) oatmeal tastes awful to me. Then you can add dried or fresh fruit and (a small quantity of nuts. Good spices include cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, or cardamom. I eat this a couple of mornings a week.

There are also lots of baked oatmeal recipes that you can try.
    http://kristineskitchenblog.com/2015/12/14/gingerbread-baked-oatmeal-cups/
    This one was featured on the mfp blog and I made it last weekend. It was pretty good and convenient for breakfast, It was a bit sweet, so i would reduce the molasses or maple syrup a little.
  • Sarah_Shapes_Up
    Sarah_Shapes_Up Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds add some volume to it, and unsweetened cocoa powder add lots of taste and fiber. Other than that, fruit, sweeter, peanut butter, cinnamon, and I enjoy green tea matcha powder.
  • OneTwentyThree
    OneTwentyThree Posts: 186 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not a lot of people do this, but adding a little bit of salt makes it tastier. I prefer the texture of steel cut oats and I eat them plain cooked in water. It's not something I crave to eat but it keeps me full for hours, I don't think oatmeal needs to taste amazing.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    Inspired by good old southern shrimp and grits, I've been making savory oatmeal for years. A typical blend will be oatmeal, diced tomatoes, mushrooms, and a little sauteed onion. Another favorite combo is spinach, mushrooms and just a little blue cheese. Basically, if I'll put it in an omelet, I'll put it in oatmeal!
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I've been reading this thread with interest, and checking out some of the suggested recipes with an eye to making my breakfast less boring. :)

I have a question though - many recipes seem to mention "old-fashioned oats". What exactly does this mean? Does it refer to any oats that aren't labelled as "quick", or is there a particular type I should look for? I have 'large flake oats' in my pantry right now and I'm not sure if I can use them in a recipe.
  • laural121
    laural121 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I put a few tablespoons of flavoured yoghurt in with the oatmeal and a splash of milk and let it sit overnight. I prefer it cold and thick, then I add some fruit if I feel like it
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I do overnight oatmeal with some blueberry preserves, fresh blueberries, chia seeds, greek yogurt, and lemon zest... its so good.
  • astronomydomine
    astronomydomine Posts: 8 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm really enjoying making chilled oat/chia puddings atm. One of my favourites:

25g rolled oats
    5g chia seeds
    110ml Lipton light peach iced tea
    180g unsweetened 0.5% Chobani (or any similar Greek or strained yogurt)
    Ground cinnamon
    Ground cardamom
    Vanilla
    Stevia liquid

=224 cal

Mix it all together, pop it in the fridge overnight (or at least an hour if making for a snack), delicious.
  • melissaremygibbs
    melissaremygibbs Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast. I love it. It keeps me full all morning and it's great especially on cold mornings.

I cook 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup water in the microwave for a 1 min 20 sec.

Then I add I tblsp. Butter, 1 tblsp. Brown sugar, and a 1 tblsp. Almond milk.
  • tonimyers93
    tonimyers93 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon! I put blueberries in mine too :)