Ok I'll bite - is "cooking and food prep" really exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    One thing to consider OP, is that although they logged the exercise calories, they may not always be eating them back - either over the course of the day, or week. They may be logging it for the same reason I still log exercise - to have something on the newsfeed, get some encouragement, maybe get some chats and discussions going, etc
  • alismommy1992
    alismommy1992 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Caitoriri wrote: »
    I.... guess it counts loosely as "activity", if your daily calories are set to your RMR and you're logging absolutely everything you do..........????? I mean, you're burning more calories than if you were sitting on your butt. Though it's still kind of a stretch.
    Or maybe the people on your feed are doing squats with 20lb turkeys. You never know.

Hahaha 20lb turkey
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Or, you know... if this is your kitchen: 12-e-69-st-kitchen-2-nyc.jpg

Or if you are this guy:
    tcnljghdmnyu.jpg

I'm just now realizing there are penguins in this kitchen...
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    One thing to consider OP, is that although they logged the exercise calories, they may not always be eating them back - either over the course of the day, or week. They may be logging it for the same reason I still log exercise - to have something on the newsfeed, get some encouragement, maybe get some chats and discussions going, etc

Noted, thank you!
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Lol I did a double take when I saw the Penguins. The first time I looked at the photo, I was too busy thinking I wish that was my kitchen!
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Not for me. It's part of "lifestyle".

That's what I'd think too. I'm sure there are people who do a lot of walking/moving etc. for hours prepping food. But if that's a regular thing, like for your job, I'd probably change my activity level from low to medium or something. Not log it every time.

Now if you normally sit on your butt all day and then on saturday spend 7 hours on your feet moving around helping prepare a large meal somewhere, ok, you could probably count that as an hour of walking or something.

But I have a feeling those people are going to be sad they aren't losing weight after burning all those extra calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ovidnine wrote: »
    Not for me. It's part of "lifestyle".

That's what I'd think too. I'm sure there are people who do a lot of walking/moving etc. for hours prepping food. But if that's a regular thing, like for your job, I'd probably change my activity level from low to medium or something. Not log it every time.

Now if you normally sit on your butt all day and then on saturday spend 7 hours on your feet moving around helping prepare a large meal somewhere, ok, you could probably count that as an hour of walking or something.

But I have a feeling those people are going to be sad they aren't losing weight after burning all those extra calories.

Other option: get an activity tracker and go by that. They know when the steps are fast or slow and adjust the calorie burn accordingly. After I get my initial ~4500 steps (the level for sedentary) I get maybe 15 calories for 1000 casual steps (like cooking or housecleaning) but get closer to 40-50 for 1000 steps of actual fitness walking (3.5-4 MPH). When I teach, it is kind of in between because I may be on my feet most of the day, but it is a combination of casual steps and purposeful steps when I change classrooms or have recess duty. I do not log anything except swimming and water aerobics. I know my Garmin calorie adjustment is pretty close to accurate because I have been losing at an expected pace.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »

Lol I did a double take when I saw the Penguins. The first time I looked at the photo, I was too busy thinking I wish that was my kitchen!

I saw them. I first thought that this was probably the hotel in Memphis (I think) that has the penguins that live in the lobby fountain but I see that it is an "eat-in" kitchen. I would love to have about 20% of that kitchen. More space than my little galley.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    kae612 wrote: »
    I see it all over my feed, people burning hundreds of calories by cooking! I wear a step counter, and I spent 2h cooking today, and my step counter told me I have burned no calories. Is this real?
    Nope.

Cooking isn't exercise.
    Picking your nose isn't exercise.
    Reaching for something on the top shelf isn't exercise.
    Doing laundry isn't exercise.
    Netflix marathons aren't exercise (despite the deceptive name).
    Rubbing the dog's belly isn't exercise.
    Battling internet trolls isn't exercise.
    A bubble bath isn't exercise.
    Playing armchair quarterback isn't exercise.
    Cursing after stepping on a lego isn't exercise.

BUT. You'll find people who log those things anyways. They're just lying to themselves.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    kae612 wrote: »
    I see it all over my feed, people burning hundreds of calories by cooking! I wear a step counter, and I spent 2h cooking today, and my step counter told me I have burned no calories. Is this real?
    Nope.

Cooking isn't exercise.
    Picking your nose isn't exercise.
    Reaching for something on the top shelf isn't exercise.
    Doing laundry isn't exercise.
    Netflix marathons aren't exercise (despite the deceptive name).
    Rubbing the dog's belly isn't exercise.
    Battling internet trolls isn't exercise.
    A bubble bath isn't exercise.
    Playing armchair quarterback isn't exercise.
    Cursing after stepping on a lego isn't exercise.

BUT. You'll find people who log those things anyways. They're just lying to themselves.

You do put yourself at risk of carpal tunnel syndrome however.

• MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    If Im doing something and someone asks "what are you doing?"...and my answer isnt "exercising" or "working out" it doesnt get logged. And "activity" starts when Ive been doing it for 10-15mins. The rest is just life.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Ah yes, the "If it makes a fat person sweat it must be cardio" rule. People will defend that nonsense to the death. Absolutely no one is fooled except the people logging it.

After a while you just start being amused by the bizarre things people want to reward themselves with MOAR FOOD for doing.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »

I'd take it with the penguins... probably you'd get lots of exercise chasing them around too.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    It depends. I do have people on my list that do it -- in most cases what they are logging falls outside of what they usually do. I log heavy cleaning a few times a year when I clear my house out and wash down walls.

Be annoyed if they do that and complain they aren't losing weight.