Would you live in this home??... (sad story)

Options
Nikki_WantsIt
Nikki_WantsIt Posts: 204 Member
Back in the 70's there was a pregnant wife and mother, her son (2 I believe) and her daughter (4?) who were brutally murdered with a bush axe.... Her husband was the main suspect. They had the trial 2 years ago and I attended in support of her very elderly parents who attended my grandparents church. It was very sad and sickening... The man was charged with the murder of his wife, unborn child, son & daughter..... It was insane sitting in the same room as a piece of scum who did such a thing...
Anyways, the house is located in a nearby neighborhood. It's actually directly across the street from my cousins house.
People do live in that very house and they MUST know about what happened in that house... I mean, do realtors have to tell you when things like that have happened in your potential home?? If not, then they had to have known when trial time came.. the house was all over our local news.

My question is: Would you live in this house if you knew about this horrific (to say the least) tragedy?....

Replies

• ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I would rather not know, and be able to pick a place without having something like that on my mind. All kinds of things have happened of which we are unaware.

Slight tangent - Read Ash Wednesday, by Chet Williamson. It is a horror story in which suddenly the apparitions of anyone who has died appear, in the exact spot where they died, frozen as in the moment at which death occurred..
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Why not? It's just a house. As long as the bloodstains came out or the carpet was replaced, it wouldn't bother me at all.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Is it a nice house?
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i am a wee drunklish...this is creepy.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    Yeah. Probably.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Yes , I don't see why not.
  • m76b
    m76b Posts: 1,498 Member
    Options
    nope... I will be thinking about that every single minute:noway:

but that's me!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Was it sold at a tidy discount?

It's a house. A thing. It has neither a soul nor ghosts. With some estimates of over 100 billion people having lived and died on this earth, there is a very good chance that someone died in the general vicinity of wherever you may be standing at any given time. The water you drink has been recycled millions of times by other humans and animals as it is with the food and its base elements. Such is life and death.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteous
    Options
    nope... I will be thinking about that every single minute:noway:

but that's me!

I bet the ghosts would stare at the tramp stamp you're going to get soon lol
  • chocolate_totoro
    chocolate_totoro Posts: 827 Member
    Options

It's a house. A thing. It has neither a soul nor ghosts. With some estimates of over 100 billion people having lived and died on this earth, there is a very good chance that someone died in the general vicinity of wherever you may be standing at any given time. The water you drink has been recycled millions of times by other humans and animals as it is with the food and its base elements. Such is life and death.

this
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    All kinds of things have happened of which we are unaware.

I agree with this. Lots of people live in homes that horrible things have happened in, and they just don't know. Sometimes you may never know, sometimes you can search news story archives and find out all kinds of stuff (some people find that interesting). It's life. It's still a good home. It's not the home's fault. The only problem may be that it might be difficult to make friends and have them over, if lots of people associate the home with the horrible memories and the friends they lost. In situations like that, it can be difficult for people to go into the home without breaking down and crying, as much as they want the people living there to be happy and not think about the bad stuff, some reactions are just hard to not have.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I imagine just about all older houses or flats has had someone die in them, it is just part of life. I know through the years I have lived in more than one that had a death in them.
  • slw87
    slw87 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Yeah the house didn't kill anyone...
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I would live in the house. I have looked up whether or not the real estate agent has to tell people, I only found that they have to in certain states. That may have changed or what I found could have been wrong, I looked it up after watching a horror movie.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I grew up on a property where the wife had allegedly poisoned her husband with mushrooms. We lived in Niagara on the Lake which was the site of MANY battles circa 1812 and terrible deaths. And I now live right where the Battle of Beaverdams (also 1812) took place. Nothing TOO scary has happened...(but that's another thread)

A property's history goes back far further than we tend to think...bad stuff has been done most everywhere at one time or another. They make fascinating stories and great midnight scare-tales. I wouldn't really want to live somewhere where something so brutal happened so recently, but I bet the price was reflective of the history. I might be able to put most things out of my mind and buy such a place.

But an multiple axe murder only a few years back...yi....I dunno. Same with those people that moved into the old mortuary in Connecticut...a little too Amityville-like I suppose.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

Profound.
  • DanIsACyclingFool
    DanIsACyclingFool Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    You know what's even more frightening?

That the murder happened in the 70's and the trial was in 2011!
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    This doesn't answer your question, but why did it take 40 years to bring the man to trial?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    When my husband and I were moving house the estate agents sent us the details of a house where a man had killed his wife and kids and himself.... It was a right bargain, but my husband refused point blank to go and look at it.

I would have gone to see if it felt creepy....
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't...I just wouldn't feel comfortable. I'm probably being superstitious but....no. Even if it were dirt cheap, I still would not live there, especially if it happened recently.