Cutting Techniques Post Bulk

Options
1235»

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I missed this earlier on, but is anyone experimenting with IF for their cut? I finished bulking late February and unintentionally wound up eating at/around maintenance (i.e- I wasn't really logging). So I've gradually, over the past few weeks now, gotten myself down to 2,000 calories. Having been at 3,000 during my bulk (which was glorious), I was really struggling to keep it at 2,000. But I just started IF this week, and it seems to help? I might wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night, but it typically subsides and then I'm good until 10am when I go into my feeding stage.

I work out first thing in the morning, too. I just bought BCAA powder the other day and as soon as I'm healed up from this hand injury, I'm going to try that and see if it gives me more energy. My lifts too, have sucked pretty hard since cutting-- during IF or not! :\

If you can consider eating between 1 and 10 intermittent fasting, then I do. I never really cared to read up much on it, it's just how I eat.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Sorry if I missed this earlier on, but is anyone experimenting with IF for their cut? I finished bulking late February and unintentionally wound up eating at/around maintenance (i.e- I wasn't really logging). So I've gradually, over the past few weeks now, gotten myself down to 2,000 calories. Having been at 3,000 during my bulk (which was glorious), I was really struggling to keep it at 2,000. But I just started IF this week, and it seems to help? I might wake up feeling hungry in the middle of the night, but it typically subsides and then I'm good until 10am when I go into my feeding stage.

I work out first thing in the morning, too. I just bought BCAA powder the other day and as soon as I'm healed up from this hand injury, I'm going to try that and see if it gives me more energy. My lifts too, have sucked pretty hard since cutting-- during IF or not! :\

IF can be an effective technique as you can still have large meals and maintain volume, but its really all personal. I wasn't a fan of IF, but i know several who love it on their cuts.
  • pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    There's a 5/2 fasting protocol, eat normally for 5 days, with two non-consecutive days of fasting.
  • BroScience83
    BroScience83 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    sprints.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    Following
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    following
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    following Thank you!!
  • Acidique
    Acidique Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am ready to start cutting for the first time. I am dropping back to 1700 cals daily, which works for me, but I have never done it with the minset of cutting. Obviously don't want to lose anymore muscle than I have to. Is it appropriate for me to lift 5 days a week for about 45 minutes and leave out cardio, keeping macros on point with high protein etc?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Acidique wrote: »
    I am ready to start cutting for the first time. I am dropping back to 1700 cals daily, which works for me, but I have never done it with the minset of cutting. Obviously don't want to lose anymore muscle than I have to. Is it appropriate for me to lift 5 days a week for about 45 minutes and leave out cardio, keeping macros on point with high protein etc?

I'm not sure how the mindset is different, I personally can't stand the "cutting" term - it's just being in a deficit to lose, like every other person trying to lose weight/fat.

You can do cardio - it'll keep you fit and increase your deficit/food. Continuing to lift and keeping protein up will help with muscle retention
  • Acidique
    Options
    I guess I just meant I've never eaten in a deficit after purposely bulking to gain muscle. I've always just eaten at a deficit to lose fat and gone way down in calories to a ridiculous level. I wanted to make sure lifting 5 days a week while cutting is not too much. Thanks for the information and the advice!
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Now this is why I stay active in here. This is an awesome post. FOLLOWING!
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I guess I just meant I've never eaten in a deficit after purposely bulking to gain muscle. I've always just eaten at a deficit to lose fat and gone way down in calories to a ridiculous level. I wanted to make sure lifting 5 days a week while cutting is not too much. Thanks for the information and the advice!

Don't go "way down". Keep the deficit moderate and keep lifting. If you choose to have cardio in the mix then evaluate your deficit.
    I lift 4-6 days a week when I am in a deficit and haven't had any problems over the past 4-5 years.

• Acidique
    Options

Don't go "way down". Keep the deficit moderate and keep lifting. If you choose to have cardio in the mix then evaluate your deficit.
    I lift 4-6 days a week when I am in a deficit and haven't had any problems over the past 4-5 years.

This is what I needed to hear. Thank you. :) And no, I won't be going "way down" ever again. I lost weight back then, but I was miserable and obviously it wasn't something I could maintain. Besides, I really like having muscle. I feel better and it looks much better than just losing fat.
  • no44s4me
    no44s4me Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I find the author of this site to be pretty much point on.
    https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/how-to-lose-fat-without-losing-muscle/
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options

Following