Vegan: high carb low fat

Options
13»

Replies

• kayimm
    kayimm Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hey, Margarita,
    You are not alone. I am also a vegetarian. I am not fully vegan, because occasionally I eat cheese or eggs. I am working on clearing all the animal based food, leather, gel caps, etc off my shopping list. I haven't quite had the weight loss, because I am middle aged. I have to watch the calories very closely, lose the sodium, stay off the alcohol, and work out every day.
  • margaritadiamantopulos9
    Options
    kayimm wrote: »
    Hey, Margarita,
    You are not alone. I am also a vegetarian. I am not fully vegan, because occasionally I eat cheese or eggs. I am working on clearing all the animal based food, leather, gel caps, etc off my shopping list. I haven't quite had the weight loss, because I am middle aged. I have to watch the calories very closely, lose the sodium, stay off the alcohol, and work out every day.

Keep it up although I do follow the high carb low fat I did not lose weight once I plateaud on almost 3000 calories a day I don't really watch my calories I just do macronutrients which has worked for me very well

I eat when I'm hungry and stop when I am full that is what has worked for me the most
    Keep on keeping on
    Options
    salembambi wrote: »
    Plant based vegan veg fruitarian raw vegan retail 4 80 10 10 rawtil4
    All the same love lol

im vegan but im the type of vegan who eats vegan junk food sometimes and does not care about freelee

I've learned to find what works for me ofcorse I do have days when I have junk vegan foods but mostly whole plant based foods
    Options
    rawroy wrote: »
    I'm here to support anyone interested in moving more towards a healthy low fat plant based and vegan lifestyle! The more the merrier because it will benefit our health, the animals and the planet!

• rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    rankinsect wrote: »
    That's awesome and I feel the same way everyone's like so what do you eat and I say the same thing I'm like pizza and pasta and potatoes and there like I could never I would be so "fat" or I need the protein I always try to explain its not about carbs it's about what kind and what you put on them !!

It's not about carbs or what kind or what you put on them, it's about calories, in terms of weight loss.

Protein, however, is a real need for your body. No amount of fat or carbohydrate will ever contain nitrogen, so none of them can ever build even a single amino acid. You absolutely need sufficient protein to stay alive.

Of course, there are vegan sources of protein, but you have to mix your protein sources to get a complete protein (most plants have low levels of at least one amino acid). That requires a little extra planning. The only thing you truly can't naturally get on a vegan diet is vitamin B12, for which you will need supplements.

by the way, b12 is in the soil, so the cow eats the grass and the cow gets b12, buttt these days our soils dont have the b12, so many americans on high meat diet are b12 defecient :) everyone can benefit from a b12 supp, i personally take sublingual drops once or twice a week, because even once in your body, it stays a loong time before we become defecient...

a little off topic but, some meds will rob you of B-12.PPIs(proton pump inhibitors) are notorious for this. so if you are on any meds look at the side effects. now I dont eat a lot of red meat. most days I am meatless,but Im not vegan or vegetarian and have nothing against those that are.

Vegans and meat eaters get there Vitamin B12 from eating processed foods. Just because you are eating meat does not mean you are exempt particular nutrients. Have you ever checked your dog and cat food labels, cereal boxes, meat and dairy products? Processed foods are fortified with all of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients we humans and domesticated pets need. It's more relevant for those that eat raw or low fat plant based food and eliminate most processed foods. I myself, love nutritional yeast and sprinkle that on everything! Salads, popcorn, pasta, tacos, etc because it's so good! I even carry it with me when I go out to eat!
    Options
    That's awesome and I feel the same way everyone's like so what do you eat and I say the same thing I'm like pizza and pasta and potatoes and there like I could never I would be so "fat" or I need the protein I always try to explain its not about carbs it's about what kind and what you put on them !!

It's not about carbs or what kind or what you put on them, it's about calories, in terms of weight loss.

Protein, however, is a real need for your body. No amount of fat or carbohydrate will ever contain nitrogen, so none of them can ever build even a single amino acid. You absolutely need sufficient protein to stay alive.

Of course, there are vegan sources of protein, but you have to mix your protein sources to get a complete protein (most plants have low levels of at least one amino acid). That requires a little extra planning. The only thing you truly can't naturally get on a vegan diet is vitamin B12, for which you will need supplements.

by the way, b12 is in the soil, so the cow eats the grass and the cow gets b12, buttt these days our soils dont have the b12, so many americans on high meat diet are b12 defecient :) everyone can benefit from a b12 supp, i personally take sublingual drops once or twice a week, because even once in your body, it stays a loong time before we become defecient...

a little off topic but, some meds will rob you of B-12.PPIs(proton pump inhibitors) are notorious for this. so if you are on any meds look at the side effects. now I dont eat a lot of red meat. most days I am meatless,but Im not vegan or vegetarian and have nothing against those that are.

Vegans and meat eaters get there Vitamin B12 from eating processed foods. Just because you are eating meat does not mean you are exempt particular nutrients. Have you ever checked your dog and cat food labels, cereal boxes, meat and dairy products? Processed foods are fortified with all of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients we humans and domesticated pets need. It's more relevant for those that eat raw or low fat plant based food and eliminate most processed foods. I myself, love nutritional yeast and sprinkle that on everything! Salads, popcorn, pasta, tacos, etc because it's so good! I even carry it with me when I go out to eat!

So true people dwell on the negatives things or what they think is negative and run with it like as a vegan I don't go to meat eaters and scrutinize what they do just bc I don't agree with it.
  • rawroy
    rawroy Posts: 106 Member
    Options

So true people dwell on the negatives things or what they think is negative and run with it like as a vegan I don't go to meat eaters and scrutinize what they do just bc I don't agree with it.

From our experience, the negativity started with friends and family when they heard we were Vegan. My "wife and I have gotten the it's Gay, Weak, too Skinny, Cult comments and everyone turned into an expert on nutrition and told us how B12, Iron, and Protein deficient we were. To be honest, we really haven't changed our personality because everyone still loves us if we don't mention that we are Vegan. Funny how that works. So our new motto is to stop bringing it up at family functions because we don't want to waste energy talking to someone who is just looking to make fun of The Vegans. Guess what, now they introduce us as "The Vegans"...wtf! Well..if your going to do that..then don't get offended if we talk about veganism to people who are really interested! We are the minority now but we can hold our own in conversations but it gets childish to the point guys just say "Mmmm Bacon" and laugh there *kitten* off. Maybe...just maybe some meat eaters will see this side of the fence here. Just tell your friends and family you are Vegan and see how much support you get! It might even be too hard to do because you even judge yourself!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Do you wear or own leather? Do you take medicine that comes in gel caps? Are all of your household cleaning products, makeup, medicines, etc certified to be not tested on animals? Do you have leather trim in your car? Do you eat any foods or medicines that contain gelatin or come in gelcaps?

None of those things are Vegan.

Note, I'm not trying to be difficult or poke fun, but there are about 50 of these threads a day where people say that they are or are going Vegan for various reasons and it almost never turns out that they are and are in fact, only considering eating a plant based diet and usually under some misguided notion that it's a better diet for weight loss... technically none of those are Vegan since none of them are centralized or focused on the animal welfare aspect or involve the ethical concerns regarding treatment of animals.

Such as up thread, someone linked a Peta thread. Peta, while claiming to be Vegan and promoting animal welfare, are responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of animals a year, many of those euthanization, many simply death by neglect as they free them from factory farms only to allow them to die in a habitat that they are not suited to survive in.

even if they arent perfect vegans, its no reason to bash them... veganism is amazing thing they try do to help the animals and environment, shouldnt we support them, say great well done keep it up, instead of focus on the bad always?
    im vegan everywhere in my life, i know so many people that are as compassionate as me , we just try sread a good message, not like were jahovas witnesses or anything :)

its all about the good message, thats amazing guys, it saves animals, thousands of litres of water goes to produce your steak, thousands of hectares on land goes to feed just the animals we are over producing to keep up with the human tastebuds, while many are starving because of that,going plant based gives you EVERYTHING you need (someone up there mentiones mixing foods to get the complete protein, is correct, rice and beans does that)
    and is deliciousssss

He's not bashing, he's explaining what being vegan really is...lately it just seems to be trendy to call one's self "vegan" because they eat a plant based diet...not because they're actually vegan. Being vegan goes way, way, way beyond diet and simply being trendy.

ETA: I'm not vegan, but I eat a substantially plant based diet.
    Options

From our experience, the negativity started with friends and family when they heard we were Vegan. My "wife and I have gotten the it's Gay, Weak, too Skinny, Cult comments and everyone turned into an expert on nutrition and told us how B12, Iron, and Protein deficient we were. To be honest, we really haven't changed our personality because everyone still loves us if we don't mention that we are Vegan. Funny how that works. So our new motto is to stop bringing it up at family functions because we don't want to waste energy talking to someone who is just looking to make fun of The Vegans. Guess what, now they introduce us as "The Vegans"...wtf! Well..if your going to do that..then don't get offended if we talk about veganism to people who are really interested! We are the minority now but we can hold our own in conversations but it gets childish to the point guys just say "Mmmm Bacon" and laugh there *kitten* off. Maybe...just maybe some meat eaters will see this side of the fence here. Just tell your friends and family you are Vegan and see how much support you get! It might even be too hard to do because you even judge yourself!

I have found that to be true as well. I'm a hair stylist and people noticed that I had lost weight and they ofcorse asked me what I had done to lose it and I said I follow a vegan diet for health and ethical reasons and the lady started telling me about b12 iron and protein meanwhile this is coming from a lady that almost ALWAYS brings McDonald's Starbucks Burger King or some kind of super unhealthy FAST food while she's in my chair getting her hair done. ? Don't lecture me Cmon really? So she goes and tells her daughter that I am a vegan and she starts telling me how bad she feels for me that I can't eat meat and how much she loves steak blah blah blah. And I'm like I actually feel bad for you and the animals. And she was so flabbergasted by that. She's like you don't miss it? I'm like eating the dead carcass of an animal and ingesting pus and blood ......? No I don't miss it thank you for your concern though lol