Do you tell people in your real life that you are trying to lose weight?

Options

Replies

• michaela4910
    michaela4910 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I do. Some of them try to encourage me as well. Many of my work mates are trying also.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I haven't told anybody except my hubby and parents as im really proud of myself so far!
    its hard tho as I want to show my progress photos so far and be like see I know im fat but im getting less fat! my inlaws r skinny and have always been skinny in a condescending way
    I plan on waiting till I reach my first big goal of the weight I was when I met my husband a few years ago and a 50lbs ago!
    the thing that makes me want to post is I have friends posting before and afters on fb as they have done the body coach diet thing or herbalife crap etc and I just want to prove that it can be done slowly and safely instead of going full burn (which is likely not going to stay off)

the other thing is once someone knows and your out for a meal you get asked 'oh can u eat that on your diet' or push their views of diets which have worked for them even if your diet is working for you!
    anyway real people or fb people are not getting to know till at least the end of this year! fingers crossed!
  • ivvassileva
    ivvassileva Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've told my boyfrind (not that I had to, we bouth gined a lot since we moved in together), my parents and a few girls at work. My boyfriend doesn't believe in dieting or restriction and is pushing me to work out. My mom has been struggling with loosing weight since childbirth (more than 20 years ago), so she is very supporive. I work on a desk and most of the girls at the office are trying to eiter loose some weight or to stay in shape, so it's not embarrassig at all. Moreover, it's nice to have someone to share ideas, recipies, workout tips and such on a daily basis and someone to order salad with hen everyone else is having
  • CariTJR
    CariTJR Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My partner knows, because how do you explain weighing everything as you're cooking otherwise? And also, I tell him everything anyway....He's very good though, very encouraging. My Mum knows too, but she never makes a big deal out of it, she only comments to say 'well done' when i've reached a milestone.
    I don't advertise it on social media though, but I do discuss it with work colleagues, but mainly because two of them are also trying to lose weight, one is going to Slimming World and the other one is just 'watching what she eats'. But it's interesting to see the different approaches and whether they work.
    We can also encourage each other, and then it's not so hard to say 'no thanks' when yet another person brings in more cakes to work, as you're not the only one passing them up!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    These responses are great. I really appreciate it. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes to keep things private. There are some people who I will talk about it to if they ask me (my sisters mostly) but I don't really like to talk about it to just anybody. I know my hubby is proud and just wants to brag on me, but that kind of attention make me uncomfortable.
  • lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Only if they ask.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I thought I was the only weirdo :) I feel unaccountably shy about the whole thing! to be fair, I'm only 3 weeks in and it is very early days yet. I know this time feels different to me, but i'm not ready to admit it to the rest of the world. I just say, "we'll see - it's early days."

I don't talk much about it - just mention i'm counting calories and leave it at that. I didn't want to tell my coworkers, but ended up mentioning it to one coworker. Then it came up during a staff lunch and now everyone knows. I'm staying pretty quiet about my accomplishments though.

I told my husband from the very beginning. in the past, I didn't and I think that made it too easy for me to secretly binge. Thankfully, he doesn't make a huge deal about it and is very supportive. When I had a bad day and was longing to binge, he brought me an orange and I felt better after I ate it. We don't talk about it much from day to day but he is SO THRILLED I am doing this :)

I finally pushed myself to tell one of my closest friends yesterday. She is a vegan fitness buff and has spent so many years trying to gently encourage me. At one point, she even worked out with me weekly. I ended up only briefly talking about it, not going into detail abut MFP/counting calories (she's more into not counting but eating healthy). Still, I was very happy I shared with her. Next, I want to tell my best friend. I haven't seen her in a few weeks so there just hasn't been a "right time". I know she will be thrilled for me and will have a lot of helpful tips. She lost a ton of weight on WW a couple of years back and has kept it off.
  • bri170lb
    bri170lb Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I've lost a lot of weight, 123 pounds, so it's really obvious. People comment every day and I don't mind. I give them the short version of what I am doing. Sometimes people will ask for more information and sometimes they will be inspired to try to work on themselves as a result. It feels great to know that I have inspired a few folks.

A couple of weeks ago the managers of my gym asked if I would talk to a newspaper reporter about my success. I did and they wrote an article about me. You don't go any more public than that.

I'm not embarrassed about myself. I am who I am. I love me no matter what I look like and so do my family and friends. I felt like it would be a good thing to share about how great I feel and how much my health has improved just by losing weight and exercising.

I still have a little way to go. So far no one has told me I'm going to blow away. When they do, I will consider it a victory, not an insult!
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have tried before and have received responses like, I won't be able to, or comments on my food, so I don't tell many people now.
  • Owlie45
    Owlie45 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    My close family and best friends know. Other than that nope. Anyone outside of that tend to make comments like "should you be eating that?"
    So it's just easier not to say anything.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I do much better when I don't talk about it. It's between me and no one else, and that way the only one who has expectations is me!
  • lessthanyesterd4y
    Options
    I recently have found that telling people I trust I'm trying to lose weight does help me because I'm talking about my goals. No everyone is going to be open to discussing weight loss but I've learned you need to not give up on yourself.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Nope. If anyone notices I'll be gracious, but I don't like that kind of attention. Last time I mentioned it and people would congratulate me. It was really weird and uncomfortable. My husband knows but he knows not to fuss about it and loves me either way.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have a friend I talk about it with and people at the gym. I don't talk to my family because of the constant questions asking how much I have lost and unsolicited advice. It really isn't about the numbers and I don't need to hear what they read in a magazine, or saw on Oprah or Dr. Oz.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    No because I've been down this road so many times before and given up. But this time feels different. I still don't plan to tell anyone though except my husband. Although my sister in law is on here and we are friends so she at least knows I'm tracking my food
  • shrinkingtina
    shrinkingtina Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    The only person who knows anything about what I eat or what I do for exercise in the real world is my husband. He goes grocery shopping with me and notices if I'm on or off a treadmill. But other than that, I see no need to tell anyone. They'll notice as I drop the weight.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    No! I'm in the Dorothy Parker camp:
    'Never complain, never explain.'
    I have one designated weight loss buddy & we tell each other everything!
  • jaymich001
    jaymich001 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have found telling friends sometimes is not good. I just want to lose 10-20 pounds. When I pass on a cookie or a drink they ask why, so I tell them. Their responce is oh you dont need to lose any weight (I appreciate their complements). According to my BMI I should weigh 124 but I think thats too skinny. About 135 would make me happy.
  • MyBoyG
    MyBoyG Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I don't go around announcing it, but my hubby and my boss are my best supporters. My boss knows because he too is trying to slim down, and eat better. We try to keep each other honest at work, and hubby keeps me honest at home. The two places I eat most :)
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I dunno....for me I didn't tell anybody much of anything for one main reason: Fear. I didn't want to fail and have everybody know about it. That was the biggest one. I also didn't want people judging me or bugging me about food choices. It had gotten to such a point where I just really was closed off about my weight. When I really started working with doctors, nutritionists, etc., they all said to tell everyone so that could be a source of help.

Once I started losing weight, it was a big pain because everybody would ask what I was doing, and would then look at me like I just sprouted green antenna's when I told them. As if, "Well, I'm not doing THAT. That's crazy." That always bugged me. I always felt like saying, "Well CLEARLY whatever YOU are doing is working So much better!" LOL

The more I've gotten into this journey, the easier it's become to actually talk about it.