Does exercise help anxiety?

Options
Just wondering whether people find that exercise positively impacts their mood/anxiety?

I've felt pretty anxious recently for a multitude of reasons, and am thinking of trying to commit to running regularly as I've heard exercise can help. I've never really been into exercise though, so don't have much experience of it.

Just wondering what your personal experiences are like?

Replies

• BillyBoy56
    BillyBoy56 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the answer is an emphatic - YES! I am grateful that I am fit enough to cycle to work every day, because without that I am sure I would be back on the meds I was taking a few years ago. Cycling is more than physical exercise to me, it is my daily meditation time. Even on those cold rainy days that I just don't feel like going out, I always feel better after. The key is to find an activity that you enjoy, and don't force yourself to reach lofty goals, just start moving and have fun - you'll notice the difference very soon.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you enjoy running. Probably not if you hate running (may even add to the issue).

I can't comment directly on anxiety, but I can say running helps my mood and focus. Try it and see how it works for you.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,153 Member
    Options
    Exercise has a positive effect on emotional well being. It won't get rid of the problems, but will help you cope with them. It is also much more healthy than emotional eating.
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    YES! for me it certainly is my happy place when I get to exercise. Nothing like putting on your music and zoning out. It's my meditation and the best place to get in touch with who I am. Nothing has let me see who I am like pushing my limits. I know what I can do and what I cannot.
    I think it's awesome that you want to start running. Find a good play list and go for it! I can almost guarantee it will at least give you an outlet to deal with any anxiety.
    I remember telling myself lots of times "It's been an awful day, I can't wait til I get to go run". :)
  • JennieMaeK
    JennieMaeK Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Exercise has definitely helped with my stress. Not quite the same I know, but before I used to go to food for comfort. Bad day at work - eat. Fight with my husband - eat, you get the picture. Now something like that makes me want to run. 5k on the treadmill (too cold right now to run outside) and I feel so much better.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    I started with walking during a very stressful time in my life and it really helped. I would imagine that running would be just as good if not better.

It definitely helps MY anxiety. I feel way less anxious on the days I exercise, and feel a bit more so on the days I don't. It also helps me sleep a lot better, less waking up in the middle of the night.
    In my eyes there are no downsides.
  • TaraTall
    TaraTall Posts: 339 Member
    Options
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I agree with dewd2 that if you don't actually enjoy running, it might not have the desired affect.

I've noticed just about any and all cardio helps with anxiety, at the time. Like if I'm feeling anxious and go for a run or hop on the elliptical, I feel much better during and afterwards. However, I can't go for a run during work or social situation or when trying to fall asleep. So it helps, definitely, but it's no cure.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to anxiety but mood absolutely. Exercise release endorphins which make you feel good.

I third what @dewd2 said though if you hate running it might not, find some exercise you like, running, swimming, lifting whatever you can enjoy. Although if you keep it up you may start to enjoy a certain exercise more.
  • missxlisa
    missxlisa Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Yes! I often have panic attacks at night, but only after a rest day
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Just wondering whether people find that exercise positively impacts their mood/anxiety?

I've felt pretty anxious recently for a multitude of reasons, and am thinking of trying to commit to running regularly as I've heard exercise can help. I've never really been into exercise though, so don't have much experience of it.

Just wondering what your personal experiences are like?

YES!

Find something you enjoy doing, find an environment you are comfortable in, and find something that is just challenging enough for you.

For me, exercise can relieve stress and help me sleep better. The trick is finding the right fit. I can do cardio with choreography and want to throw things at the TV. Forget group exercise because it takes me back to gym class (ugh!). I do at home walking workouts instead. Turn my brain off and move is more my style. Yoga is a great relaxer. I don't do the most challenging yoga, but more importantly I enjoy it.
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    For me, yes.

A lot.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    if it's something you enjoy, then yes, it can help. it's not necessarily a cure but it gives me a good time to find peace in my mind.
    i get squirrelly now if i don't get to do runs
    I've also found yoga helps my anxiety
  • minniestar55
    minniestar55 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    It helps me...maybe give it a try & see how you do.
  • amandabullock120
    amandabullock120 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    YES!! I have anxiety. Sometimes so bad I can't do normal everyday things.. I have found that working out daily helps tons
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    Yes, it absolutely does!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes it does...but I would stress finding something you enjoy...doing something you hate will probably just make things worse.
  • caffeinified
    caffeinified Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always feel better on the days I work out as compared to the days I don't. Mood, anxiousness, whatever is plaguing me. It just makes me feel better. So yes! And good luck finding the right workout that does the same for you!
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    TaraTall wrote: »
    dc06uyxqmxrm.jpg

+1!
  • lucypeaks
    lucypeaks Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    It pretty much cured my post natal depression 3 years back. It was ongoing for ages, took control and it slowly melted away thanks to exercise and looking after myself again. Obviously it may not be the same for everyone, however exercise releases endorphins (happy chemicals!) therefore it makes sense that it relieves anxiety in the majority of cases :) x