Does exercise help anxiety?

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    Yes, exercise definitely takes away stress, anxiety, and depression for me.

Since you're "not really into exercise" maybe start with walking before jumping right in to running. Walking in nature, no matter what the temperature, really does something positive for me. YMMV.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    All the exercise I enjoy helps w/ anxiety, stress, depression etc. And when I listen to upbeat music while exercising that helps even more. Exercising outside where I get sunlight (when possible in the winter months) also has a huge positive effect. I'm lucky in that I get runner's high (actually feels slightly euphoric) but only if I run about 3 miles. Also get the same feeling spinning or doing HIIT (like crossfit). I get these benefits from running, rowing (love the river!), bicycling.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Yes. As long as you like the exercise you choose. Running makes me want to die but I love lifting and it's amazing for my anxiety.
  • niamibunni
    niamibunni Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It helps my PTSD and anxiety.
  • Jain
    Jain Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Yes! If I can get outside & have a walk/hike it helps my depression far more than medication ever does. The trick is to find something you enjoy doing. Lifting weights works for me too, but I had to give up my gym membership due to cost.
  • DBL_IronDog
    DBL_IronDog Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yes!! I've suffered from a lot of anxiety and all types of exercise has helped me so much. It becomes my happy place.... my sanctuary. I can sort out my thoughts and get a clearer picture on my issues. So for me its been amazing!!
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It depends. For relatively mild anxiety it's definitely beneficial. It certainly won't hurt in more serious or long standing cases of anxiety, but exercise alone is unlikely to be enough to really help those.
  • gramarye
    gramarye Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I find exercise gives me a way to burn off and escape from some anxieties. Others, if they're more pervasive, will still be there when I return from my run.

So, I'd say, yes, it can absolutely help. But it won't solve underlying problems that cause anxiety, and it wouldn't be much help against panic, in my experience.
  • Saraness
    Saraness Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Just wondering whether people find that exercise positively impacts their mood/anxiety?

I've felt pretty anxious recently for a multitude of reasons, and am thinking of trying to commit to running regularly as I've heard exercise can help. I've never really been into exercise though, so don't have much experience of it.

Just wondering what your personal experiences are like?

Yes and no. Depends on the type of anxiety and your triggers. For example, I could go to the gym everyday and workout for hours on end but if my fiance/mom/sister/anyone I know is still late coming home from work and doesn't pick up his phone I'm going to have an anxiety attack in fear of the worst possible situation. I will also fear the worst no matter what. But, on the plus side- exercising has helped me with my general anxieties. I no longer go to the grocery store and think people are staring at me. So it just depends on you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options
    I should note that I have no problem exercising when I'm stressed or anxious, as exercise is a way to channel the flight or fight response, but when I'm depressed I often have an enormous struggle to get started. Once I've committed, I'm fine, and always glad I forced myself.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes it definitely does! We have all heard that exercise releases endorphins, but it also helps in other ways for stress/anxiety. When you are exercising, it not only can help take your mind off of what is causing your anxiety during that time, but it can affect the amounts of hormones you are producing. This can change how you respond to stress, and weight gain/loss in general. I thought this was a really interesting read https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/optimize_natural_hormonal_production_through_training/
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • crazydogladyjess
    crazydogladyjess Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I find exercise, and working to be healthy in general helps A LOT with my mental health. It makes me feel in control, and is a great way to let go. It gives you a great mood boost.

Find some exercise you enjoy, so that it is not a chore, and go for it!

All the best to you :)
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Absolutely yes. I suffer from depression and anxiety, and exercise has been my biggest mood booster. I've been able to completely go off my anti-anxiety meds.
  • kdalton1979
    kdalton1979 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes I have anxiety and it does help a lot Hun .i only suffer with it wen I'm worried about somat and nerves message me if u wanna chat kk
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    YES!
  • Toronto6fan
    Toronto6fan Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I'd say yes with my child with anxiety, the more active the better. We've also had luck with increasing his protein and water intake.
  • Lovee_Dove7
    Lovee_Dove7 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    Just wondering whether people find that exercise positively impacts their mood/anxiety?

I've felt pretty anxious recently for a multitude of reasons, and am thinking of trying to commit to running regularly as I've heard exercise can help. I've never really been into exercise though, so don't have much experience of it.

Just wondering what your personal experiences are like?

Yes, for me, especially a morning walk.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Yes! It's helped me immensely.

I started out by increasing my walking, then did Couch to 5K (walking/jogging program) and have since run a 7 km and working on building up to 10 km.

Such happy hormones!
  • MikeSanchez2323
    MikeSanchez2323 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For me it is not only the physical exercise that helps me with my anxiety, but also having a routine with my workouts helps me to feel more in control of my life and less anxious that way as well.