Gaining Muscle

Options
My goal is to gain muscle not just weight in general. I'm having a hard time getting in all the calories I need,sadly. Does anyone have any tips on how to increase my caloric intake? Many small meals throughout the day, eat more for a certain meal, etc.

Thanks guys

Replies

• William4MVP
    William4MVP Posts: 166 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Eat. Quit fearing fat gain, inevitable. Just don't be a dumb *kitten* and eat pizza every day if your metabolism isn't fast enough to handle that.

also make sure you're actually pushing yourself in the gym otherwise you're not going to make no gains.
  • KeatonByrd96
    KeatonByrd96 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I play A D1 sport in college so pushing myself in the gym has never been a problem especially with them up our *kitten* constantly ha! Yea I guess I have just been focusing on macros and not just downing everything in sight (reasonably) thanks for the feed back @LiftingTillDeath
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Eat. Quit fearing fat gain, inevitable. Just don't be a dumb *kitten* and eat pizza every day if your metabolism isn't fast enough to handle that.

also make sure you're actually pushing yourself in the gym otherwise you're not going to make no gains.

agreed. But more importantly if you have a paid person regulating your diet for your sport, listen to that person.
  • JarrodStowe
    JarrodStowe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You probably already know this but they recommend .75-1g of protein per lb of body weight + heavy compound lifts + adequate rest. That's the same working formula since bodybuilding started. The protein should be consumed in those portions even on rest days.

I don't know about others but I weigh 247 lbs and 247g of protein every day is TOUGH.....not only because it makes you super full but its also the equivalent of 3 lbs of lean meat a day...some 1300 calories alone without fats or carbs. That number skyrockets for calories if you're eating fatty meats like pork shoulder or chicken wings.

The inevitable struggle is building an arsenal of proteins that you can consume at those rates every day...if possible. There's a plethora of information out there in regards to high protein meal plans, if you want a quick simple approach, one small weapon in your arsenal, learn how to make beef jerky....obviously you should cut back on the sodium a bit.

Jerky is made with the "round" roasts....eye of round, top round, bottom round. Slice thing, season, and dehydrate in your oven. You can make several pounds of jerky for a fraction of the store price and carry them with you. If properly dehydrated the jerky should last quite a while and provide a constant high protein snack.

• pbryd
    pbryd Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Calories are easier drank, rather than ate.

Make some smoothies with whey, milk, peanut butter etc, the list is endless but you'll find plenty of high calorie shakes to suit your tastebuds with a quick google.
  • KeatonByrd96
    Options
    Sweet that's a good tip for sure I'll look into doing that no doubt! thanks @JarrodStowe
  • KeatonByrd96
    Options
    I have looked into different shakes before and with calories they are perfect but in regards to macros some smoothies are hit and miss I'll give t a Google though @pbyrd thanks!
  • iggy7117
    iggy7117 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A good way to gain lean muscle mass is to drink a weight gain protein shake after your workout, Lift heavier weights doing less reps, and add creatine daily. if you start gaining fat then add a program like Get ripped in thirty days three times a week in addition to your muscle building efforts.
  • KeatonByrd96
    Options
    I do all of that already @iggy7117 my problem is not gaining enough mass due to my inability to eat/drink enough calories in a day thanks for the input!
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've been getting in my extra protein with the Tuna Creations ready packs (lemon pepper). I'll eat 2 and that's almost 40g of protein and not super filling, plus it's only a couple hundred calories total and good for on the go. It's hard for me to get 210 g of protein a day, so those really help.

Good luck bro.
  • Spook_Nuke_Em
    Spook_Nuke_Em Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I've been getting in my extra protein with the Tuna Creations ready packs (lemon pepper). I'll eat 2 and that's almost 40g of protein and not super filling, plus it's only a couple hundred calories total and good for on the go. It's hard for me to get 210 g of protein a day, so those really help.

Good luck bro.

Ahhhhh calories. I started reading other people's comments lol.

I just double my protein scoops for extra calories.
  • KeatonByrd96
    Options
    Right on thanks man I'll give that a try too I'm on a pretty slim college budget is the only thing @Spook_Nuke_Em
  • motherofdragons84
    motherofdragons84 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    My goal is to gain muscle not just weight in general. I'm having a hard time getting in all the calories I need,sadly. Does anyone have any tips on how to increase my caloric intake? Many small meals throughout the day, eat more for a certain meal, etc.

Thanks guys

Try for some more calorie dense foods. I have a hard time with a huge volume of food because it bloats me. I go for nuts and avocados to boost calories and fat.

• KeatonByrd96
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel then I find myself sitting around dying for a good hour and half after a huge feed haha thanks for the input that sounds pretty legit to me @motherofdragons84
  • JarrodStowe
    JarrodStowe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Had two more thoughts.....nonfat powdered milk and vital wheat gluten protein can be very inexpensive and calorie dense forms of protein.

Powdered milk especially(3 servings), 240 cal 24g protein, 120% calcium, 60% Vit D, and you can drink it in one small cup. It's casein protein dense so its a perfect end of the day filler for all night protein supply to muscles.....sort of like cottage cheese on crack.....plus its relatively cheap and has a very long shelf life.
  • haydenkball
    haydenkball Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is generally pretty cheap and his in calories. Watch out for the fat though... 2 tablespoons of the crunchy Jif Peanut Butter is like 190 calories. So eat a couple Peanut Butter sandwiches and you'll be set. You can throw some sliced bananas on that *kitten* for optimal tastiness as well
  • KeatonByrd96
    Options
    @haydenkball that sounds delicious as *kitten*! For sure going to have one of those! And thanks for the additional feedback @JarrodStowe I never even considered powdered milk! Cheers guys!!
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Insufficient data. specify Age, height, weight, percent body fat, current calorie intake, and goal/s.
  • matthewstephenfoy
    Options
    Eat butter!
  • matthewstephenfoy
    Options
    Drink raw eggs!