melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Brain function benefits!

And here I thought carbs were brain fuel the whole time... :'(
  • kisk
    kisk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Well they are brain food, but with under 20-50/carbs a day your liver produces ketones which IMO is a better brain fuel. I've been keto for 2 weeks and feel amazing!
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    kisk wrote: »
    Well they are brain food, but with under 20-50/carbs a day your liver produces ketones which IMO is a better brain fuel. I've been keto for 2 weeks and feel amazing!

If it is so superior, why does the body use it as a last resort?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I'm curious, how many ketones are produced by your body versus my body? I consume an average of 40% of may MACROS as carbs. Maintenance is around 2500-2800 calories. So, bad math is 250 grams. In terms of carbs I consume 5 to 10 times what you consume(if you are consuming 20 to 50 grams). Do you have quite a bit more ketones then me?

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    Consider joining the MFP subgroup, the Low Carber Daily. Everyone there is low carb from almost no carbs to 150 g or so of carbs per day. Most are very happy to share their diaries and their months or years of advice. A nice group. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

My main pieces of advice when going low carb would be:
    • Increase your fats. Many have a hard time accepting that fats don't make you fat. Replacing carbs with fats is healthy and tasty for most people, and a good way to make sure your caloric deficit is not too low.
    • Eat carbs but restrict the type. Most of us find it easiest, and healthiest to reduce carbs in this order: sugar and food with added sugars (candy, baked goods, soda, syrups, honey, and even salad dressings with sugar in it- go full fat), grains and flours (rice, corn, quinoa, wheat flours, baked goods except for some made with coconut or almond flours), starchy root vegetables (potatoes, yams, turnips, onion and carrots are reduced), and finally fruit (grapes, tropical fruits like bananas and mangos are high in sugar and usually avoided, apples, oranges and pears are moderated, and berries are eaten the most often... Usually).
    • Eat green leafy veggies freely.
    • Increase your sodium, and possibly potassium and magnesium. Reducing carbs causes water loss which lowers your electrolytes. This can makes you feel headachy, tired, sore, sick and nauseated. If you drink salty bullion/broth once or twice a day, salt your food, or even add a teaspoon of salt to your water you will be able to avoid the keto flu - usually just a low electrolyte flu. Often 3000-5000mg is often recommended.

Good luck.

This ^

Most people that follow low carb/keto see it as a lifestyle change and not just a diet. Especially those that follow it for brain function benefits.

Brain function benefits!

What the what now?

Please ...give us at least one credible source for "brain function benefits" ...that would be excellent to read

Research in the benefits of ketones for the brain is still rather preliminary.
    http://download.springer.com/static/pdf/461/art%3A10.1186%2Fcc10020.pdf?originUrl=http://ccforum.biomedcentral.com/article/10.1186/cc10020&token2=exp=1453772747~acl=/static/pdf/461/art%253A10.1186%252Fcc10020.pdf*~hmac=e531e86153c30cc78a96ec35af327c5f8fc513904327777118c961d646ccd898

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0899900710002807

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0952327803002217
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Consider joining the MFP subgroup, the Low Carber Daily. Everyone there is low carb from almost no carbs to 150 g or so of carbs per day. Most are very happy to share their diaries and their months or years of advice. A nice group. :)
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

• Increase your fats. Many have a hard time accepting that fats don't make you fat. Replacing carbs with fats is healthy and tasty for most people, and a good way to make sure your caloric deficit is not too low.
    • Eat carbs but restrict the type. Most of us find it easiest, and healthiest to reduce carbs in this order: sugar and food with added sugars (candy, baked goods, soda, syrups, honey, and even salad dressings with sugar in it- go full fat), grains and flours (rice, corn, quinoa, wheat flours, baked goods except for some made with coconut or almond flours), starchy root vegetables (potatoes, yams, turnips, onion and carrots are reduced), and finally fruit (grapes, tropical fruits like bananas and mangos are high in sugar and usually avoided, apples, oranges and pears are moderated, and berries are eaten the most often... Usually).
    • Increase your sodium, and possibly potassium and magnesium. Reducing carbs causes water loss which lowers your electrolytes. This can makes you feel headachy, tired, sore, sick and nauseated. If you drink salty bullion/broth once or twice a day, salt your food, or even add a teaspoon of salt to your water you will be able to avoid the keto flu - usually just a low electrolyte flu. Often 3000-5000mg is often recommended.

Good luck.

This ^

Most people that follow low carb/keto see it as a lifestyle change and not just a diet. Especially those that follow it for brain function benefits.

Brain function benefits!

What the what now?

Please ...give us at least one credible source for "brain function benefits" ...that would be excellent to read

My frequent headaches went away. Does that count?
  • umayster
    Options
    Hello
    My name is Gayle. I am on the low carb diet and I just started. I'm having a tough time getting started. I don't know if I'm doing right or not ? Anyone else having a rough time?

Changing what you eat is a big adjustment. It took me a bit over a month till eating became routine after dropping my carb consumption to less than 50 grs a day. Give it time, you are revising a lifetime of habits.
  • neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Brain function benefits!

What the what now?

I can tell you from personal experience that my brain function has improved significantly since eating a low carb diet.

The change in my mental acuity was first brought to my attention by a colleague who noticed the change. Since she brought it to my attention I have been paying more attention.

The change is significant - in alertness, ability to think on my feet, and speed of recollection of facts AND in emotional well being. I had attributed declines in each of these areas to general exhaustion - and had not expected any change since changing my diet does not alter the fact that I am still completely overwhelmed and chronically short on sleep. I was completely flabbergasted when what was going on was brought to my attention - so it is not confirmation bias, at least in my case.

It may well be that for me the change is an indirect result of eating a low carb diet, rather than direct, because it is the low carb diet that keeps my blood glucose within normal range. But whether it is direct or indirect, it is a result of the low carb diet I am currently eating.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably one of the most useless charts I've seen him post so far.

Oh ye of little imagination.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Found a crossover of obese men and overweight/borderline obese women. Both on 500 cal deficit, men for 50 days women for 28 (one cycle). Starting with keto then switching to low fat so going from baseline to ~30 to ~200 g/day of carbs :-

97hbzqmk15qk.png

ok ?..no source so no idea of the parameters of these diets or dieters? Provided or self-reported? Or any other factor that could be taken into consideration

Also unclear if 28 days in total or 28 days each dietary approach nor numbers men/ women...ages ...unusual timeframe when bringing into play the obvious hormonal fluctuations

On the surface, although there's really no point in looking at that kind of chart without all the relevant information provided, that possibly demonstrates that removing carbs then reintroducing them causes swings in water weight as there appear to be only 3 weight points and Linear mapping between

Points are start, end of low carb, end of low fat.
    Lines are individual subjects.
    Duration as specified, same for both diets. 28 days on each for women etc.
    Carbs as specified.

No 5kg+ rebound on reintroducing carbs.

But I realise you're only feigning interest. Over to you to produce evidence of this alleged massive water regain.
  • WhatLouAte
    WhatLouAte Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Good luck.

This ^

Brain function benefits!

What the what now?

Look on PubMed if you are that interested, read a book: Grain Brain, Keto Clarity, The art of low carbohydrate living. Sorry I don´t have time to search out articles for you. If you are generally interested do some research on it...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Yep, probably one of the most useless charts I've seen him post so far.

Oh ye of little imagination.

Here I thought scientific charts should not be up to your imagination. Silly me.
  • stevencloser
    Options
    Found a crossover of obese men and overweight/borderline obese women. Both on 500 cal deficit, men for 50 days women for 28 (one cycle). Starting with keto then switching to low fat so going from baseline to ~30 to ~200 g/day of carbs :-

97hbzqmk15qk.png

ok ?..no source so no idea of the parameters of these diets or dieters? Provided or self-reported? Or any other factor that could be taken into consideration

Also unclear if 28 days in total or 28 days each dietary approach nor numbers men/ women...ages ...unusual timeframe when bringing into play the obvious hormonal fluctuations

On the surface, although there's really no point in looking at that kind of chart without all the relevant information provided, that possibly demonstrates that removing carbs then reintroducing them causes swings in water weight as there appear to be only 3 weight points and Linear mapping between

Carbs as specified.

But I realise you're only feigning interest. Over to you to produce evidence of this alleged massive water regain.

Losing fat and regaining water weight, hmmm. Initial weight - what you keep losing + what you regain = ???
  • umayster
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

If glucose is so beneficial, why does your body get rid of it as fast as possible?
  • stevencloser
    Options
    umayster wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »

If glucose is so beneficial, why does your body get rid of it as fast as possible?

If your body wanted to get rid of it as fast as possible why does it keep making more if you don't eat enough?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

97hbzqmk15qk.png

Carbs as specified.

Hm, most of the women didn't lose weight at all.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    umayster wrote: »

Good luck.

This ^

Brain function benefits!

What the what now?

My frequent headaches went away. Does that count?

I've heard the best way to get rid of a cold is to give it to someone else...
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    OP, making large changes in your diet is hard at first. Give yourself a couple weeks and see where you're at. If you still don't like it, it's ok to not do a low carb diet. It's not for everyone. Remember, this is something you'll need to do the rest of your life, and if you're not happy with it, you won't stay with it.

There are plenty of people that do better with a low carb diet. And there are plenty of people that do better on a regular or higher carb diet. It's ok if you don't like it. you have to find what works FOR YOU.