Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Awesome planning!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    As long as you are planning for infrequent dinners like this it is perfectly acceptable! Way to go planning and exercising to create a deficit for it first.

curious, what if you don't plan does it then become unacceptable?
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yep! Gotta have my 1000-1500 calorie meal every week lol
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I regularly have 800-1000 + calorie dinners. With 1700 calories to work with I can have a 300 calorie breakfast, 400 calorie lunch, earn 200 calories from exercise and then go hog wild for supper. Or have a reasonable dinner and then have a 200-500 calorie snack later that night.

#officiallyjealous

• booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    OP, that's the way to do it!!! Great work!!!

I hate when I read posts by people who think that trying to lose weight means that they cannot ever ever EVER enjoy a dinner out, a holiday meal, a birthday party, etc. "I'm going to my sister's for a family function. She's a GREAT cook and will have AMAZING food there, so I guess I'll stick to the celery tray I plan on bringing, and drink a lot of water. Sigh".

I hope a lot of people read your post. It shows that with hard work, and planning, you can enjoy a night out and still lose weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do this all the time. All. The. Time. Sometimes I even have to work for that meal later in the week because it was unplanned. Rarely is it a problem and at worst I may be a little over my net weekly intake but I don't sweat it, I'm in this for life so the odd week a couple hundred calories over my weekly deficit is just fine by me.

I am not a massive planner either, I've got really good at just winging it so it's not necessary for everyone to meticulously plan. Just having a good base knowledge of what you can eat to get a lot of bang for your calorie buck can make this sort of thing easily manageable. So it can work whatever your style!
  • FitGirl0123
    FitGirl0123 Posts: 1,273 Member
    Options
    A binge-out once in a while won't hurt you. :)

In fact it can be very beneficial!
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    OP, that's the way to do it!!! Great work!!!

I hate when I read posts by people who think that trying to lose weight means that they cannot ever ever EVER enjoy a dinner out, a holiday meal, a birthday party, etc. "I'm going to my sister's for a family function. She's a GREAT cook and will have AMAZING food there, so I guess I'll stick to the celery tray I plan on bringing, and drink a lot of water. Sigh".

I hope a lot of people read your post. It shows that with hard work, and planning, you can enjoy a night out and still lose weight.

Thanks! I knew this event was coming up and I was pretty worried. Now I feel like I have a plan on how to handle these types of social events. I think the key is going to be to keep these as "once in a while" type events. I cannot eat 1000 calorie dinners every day (although my 5ft11 husband can!).

I have two restaurant dinners next weekend so I will have to be careful in the upcoming week. I can't wait to get a food scale (on order) so I can be more confident in my numbers. Also, I started trusting the net calories number much more after I went back and halved all my exercise calories.