So I CAN eat a 1,000 calorie dinner?

I have been stressed all week about tonight as I was having friends over for dinner. So worried about wasting my hard work. I am only 5ft tall (148lbs) and 1200 calories a day doesn't leave a lot of room for extras.

I ended up pre-logging, eating at a (small) deficit all week to bank calories, and today, I made sure I worked out , giving me about 1400 calories to play with. I ate a tiny breakfast (chickpeas) and a very small high protein lunch (2 plain hard boiled eggs) totalling under 400 calories.

This meant that I was only slightly over goal with my over the top 1000 calorie dinner! (Mind u, I stuck to smallish bits of everything).

Even better, when I checked my weekly net calories, I still have about 1400 calories left for tomorrow (not counting any of tomorrow's exercise calories). More indulgence ahead. Woot!

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Damn! That's some planning. Enjoy!
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Hooray!

This happens to me regularly. Its maybe the best perk of exercise. I was miserable on 1200 calories when I adhered to that for years. Ultimately it wasn't sustainable for me, and when I was injured and sick the pounds came on because I *cough* loved food more than 1200 calories allowed.

Now my average consumption is about 1550 (ok, last month more like 1700... grr). I've been steadily losing on average 5lbs / month for 14 months now. I'm so happy for exercise calories.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    A binge-out once in a while won't hurt you. :)
  • mlinci
    mlinci Posts: 403 Member
    A 1000 calorie dinner isn't a binge, no need to associate such a negative word with it.

Most family dinners or other social dinners that have more than one course would be at least 1000 calories, and the OP described exactly the right way to incorporate such occasions in your reduced calorie lifestyle - eat a bit less before or after, and aim to incorporate it in your calorie allowance (if not daily, then weekly). And even if you are a bit over your calories, just continue on your plan the following day.

I am picking up this point because calling a perfectly normal occasion a binge perpetuates the negative and guilt-inducing relationship that many people have with food. I would personally call it a treat, rather than a binge.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    elaineamj wrote: »
    and a very small high protein lunch (2 plain hard boiled eggs) totalling under 400 calories.

How big are those eggs? 2 plain boiled eggs? isnt that like 140 calories not 400. Just thinking maybe you are over estimating.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    and a very small high protein lunch (2 plain hard boiled eggs) totalling under 400 calories.

How big are those eggs? 2 plain boiled eggs? isnt that like 140 calories not 400. Just thinking maybe you are over estimating.

I think op meant under 400 cals for breakfast and lunch
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

Using weekly calorie goals instead of daily isn't binging
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »

I think op meant under 400 cals for breakfast and lunch

makes more sense
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    If I know I have to eat BIG calories for dinner I will make sure I do exercise in the morning so I don't feel bad ;)
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Very nice planning indeed! I try to do this also. After all, that's what a tool like MFP is here to help with!

1000 calories for dinner is definitely not a binge haha. Now, if someone saved up 1000 calories so they could eat a bag of snickers bars at snack time...lol, possibly a bit different ;)
  • Lenora001
    Lenora001 Posts: 4 Member
    Great way to plan ahead
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    edited January 2016
    Thanks everyone! This is making me feel so very much better about how to make this a permanent lifestyle choice. For that matter, on Friday I even had a 700 calorie lunch (boss ordered pizza) and between Fri and Sat, I still am under for my weekly net calories!

The pre-logging really helped me. Gave me the confidence to know just how much I could eat and not feel guilty. (also I cooked skinny, healthy versions of everything).

I have been so stressed as I have plans almost every weekend for the next little bit involves food. Even a wine tour revolving around tasting wine an chocolates soon (how on earth do I count those calories?)

just the week before I again had friends over and despite my very best efforts, ended up with a 700 calorie dinner. With a 1200 calorie plan, my typical dinners are only 300-500 calories. I beat myself up badly after that. But now I know I could have just eaten less or exercised more for 1-2 days after and been just fine.

The key for me though will be not to loosen up too much. I still need to be vigilant and log everything. I am still very new at this and can veer the other way too easily. I don't want to justify too many extras.
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    As long as you are planning for infrequent dinners like this it is perfectly acceptable! Way to go planning and exercising to create a deficit for it first.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    1200 for a day is very low. Can I ask is that not not to few calories.
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    How do you look at your net weekly calories? Do you just calculate them yourself or does MFP show you?
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    I did exactly the same thing for last night. I had a 1400 calorie dinner. I skipped breakfast, protein shake for lunch. Hit the gym for an hour weight training and 45 mins cardio and had a splendid guilt free night.

I was up 2.5 pounds this morning, but I know it's just the water retention and alcohol talking.

I find this much more sustainable being able to plan for special meals and treats. I have never felt more in control.

• ernestrodgers82
    ernestrodgers82 Posts: 203 Member
    Usually I have the 1,000 calorie dinner, blow my net calorie goal for the day and then spend the NEXT few days working out of the hole that I dug for myself. Good on you for planning for the event ahead of time.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member

I am 36f and only 5ft tall with a small frame. Even at maintenance most charts say I will be about 1400-1600 calories. So small eats for the rest of my life.
    samchez0 wrote: »
    How do you look at your net weekly calories? Do you just calculate them yourself or does MFP show you?

I use the Nutrition tab in the MFP app. I didn't trust it at all until I went back last night to edit all my exercise calories for the week - I cut them all in half. So 80 cals for 30 minutes of low impact cardio, etc.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

Using weekly calorie goals instead of daily isn't binging

+1 it's just life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member

It's probably not too low for her age, gender, and height.