My baby food diet tip...

Here's a food tip: I had a wisdom tooth out a couple of weeks ago and could only eat soft food for the first few days. That's when I discovered some baby food (particularly the fruit puree stuff) is nutritious, delicious and low calorie. So I still sporadically eat it! Like if I don't have time to make a breakfast smoothie then I'll grab "Ella's kitchen: blueberry and banana baby brekkie". Or if I'm having 3pm slump cravings I'll grab "Ella's kitchen: sweet potato, pumpkin and apple puree". It fills the gap and is quick, handy food. #BabyFoodDiet

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Nooo thanks, I'll skip it!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    OmgodG NO!

Just no

• Sued0nim
    63 calories for a pack weighing 120g and designed for a 4 month old
    1g protein
    Less than 0.5g fat
  • scon37
    scon37 Posts: 32 Member
    Ha ha. I still eat meals, particularly lunch and dinner (I'm not a big breakfast person so sometimes I do have baby food for brekkie) but it's instead of junk food or snacking.

And some of the fruit puree ones are yummy! No joke! It's not too different to a fruit smoothie really. But it's really handy to grab on the go. Where in the past I've had grabbed crisps or chocolate. Now in getting vitamins in the form of pureed fruit!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    I don't mind baby food, I still crave cerelac from time to time (which I also discovered after an oral surgery), I just can't justify the price of having it more often. Baby food is not convenient, it's generally expensive - especially if you are having it in adult portions. If you are having only one pack for a snack, a microwaved cinnamon apple would be less expensive and still handy for nearly the same volume.

It's great that you have found something you enjoy, it's just not worth basing a whole diet on it.
  • Sued0nim
    Economically you'd be better making a smoothie or puree

But if it works for you go for it

(Just don't talk about it in RL too often mk? :))
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    My friends think I'm really weird when I do this, but ever since I was in middle school and a friend introduced me to it, I've been having baby food fruit purees for snacks sometimes... :# They are really nice tasting and the ones I eat only have fruit in them, no sugar added. But kinda embarrassing if you do it in public, so I don't know if I can recommend it...
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Not healthy for babies, not healthy for YOU! :)
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    i used to love the baby bananas but then they started mixing it with another fruit and it wasnt good anymore.

my grandma (who raised me) would always get me a jar or two when she went to the grocery store LOLOL
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Ella's kitchen makes adult pouches. You can find them in the applesauce or the snack aisle depending on the store at Target. They are a little bigger quantity I think and not marketed as baby food which will earn you far fewer strange looks :)
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    I enjoy apple or other fruit purees, but I get mine from the same isle that has the jarred peaches and such - they are more marketed towards 10-13 year olds which means I still get some weird looks eating my tub/pouch of apple puree :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Well, it is food.
    When my dd was a baby I didn't buy commerical prepared baby food. I pureed foods myself and froze them in individual portions for later. I don't get the attraction of eating pureed food unless you have a medical condition but you can easily prepare a batch yourself for less money.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Whisky tango foxtrot !

No! This are made for small children to intrusive the baby food is supposed to be the "in beyween" bottles and doodS children also solid food. They require less calories. Skip the baby food for you and eat "real food", not the pieces stuff.

On a side you said you you'll
  • wandererlust
    wandererlust Posts: 64 Member
    I think I would much rather blend something up myself that pay such a high cost for baby food. Plus...it's baby food. Not for me.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Wasn't this a Tracey Anderson thing a few years ago?
    Anyway, it sounds like a rather expensive way to eat a tiny amount of something really bland!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    scolaris wrote: »
    Wasn't this a Tracey Anderson thing a few years ago?
    Anyway, it sounds like a rather expensive way to eat a tiny amount of something really bland!

That's what I was thinking.

My mouth can make a puree of a 30-cent banana really fast! Apples and pears, too! And they're even pre-portioned! ; )
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    OP - sounds like you found something that works or you, congrats and good luck!
  • crb426
    crb426 Posts: 661 Member
    edited January 2016
    I'd focus on the applesauce aisle and the many different flavor combos.

But even then, I would rather eat the actual whole fruit than a ground up version.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Sorry-saw I didn't complete my thought before posting.

If you like the fruit baby food, why not try your own purée, canned fruit is always good and not expensive (at least where I live). You could also buy apple sauce with cinnamon. Some even come in their own "squeezable" containers. Is it the consistency or the taste you like the most?

If it is the, you should maybe looking into fruit dishes. If it the consistency you can look into your own purée with what ever you want to put on it.

Baby/infant formula can be really really expensive. Buying it for two people instead of just the toddler can get potentially lead to malnourishment. I know you said you eat real meals during the day, but skip the baby food. It's called "baby sitting".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I love baby food bananas. I'll get them once in awhile as a snack.

I also like the dried oatmeal stuff that you reconstitute with milk. But I don't eat it anymore because it tastes best with a boatload of sugar mixed in.

Baby food veggies/fruit is no different than no sugar added applesauce. It's just the fruit/veggies cooked down and pureed. The OP didn't say it's the only thing she eats, and if it was who cares as long as she eats a healthy number of calories? And as far as the cost, who cares as long as she's not picking your pocket to pay for it?