measuring eggs

Options
2»

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Mavrick_RN wrote: »
    With all this weighing and measuring and cracking and beating, how much variation do you get from the average of 70 calories per large egg?

Mine are regularly 5-6 grams over. Yes, it's within the 20% buffer, but I prefer to log exactly that. If they were all closer to 50 grams, then I probably wouldn't bother with it.
  • goodwifey82
    goodwifey82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Is there really much difference without the shell calorie wise?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Is there really much difference without the shell calorie wise?

No. People are over complicating this.

An egg is about 70-90 calories at 45-52g. But even if your egg weighed 20%+ difference - it's a total of 18 calories. Statistically speaking even if all your eggs weighed 20% more than average and you are eating an egg a day, it is still only 14-18 cals. 14-18. Maybe - of course it could be more white than yellow? Are you going to separate them as well, what about the part that sticks to the egg shell? What about the part that sticks to the pan?
    As long as you are consistent in your methods it doesn't matter.

Calories are not exact - not only will the same food type vary from item to item (a grape from a sunny place has more sugar, an egg from certain hens has a larger yellow) but the exact calories absorbed vary from meal to meal. It isn't exact. Never will be.

You should measure and reduce variability as much as possible because it helps in your own tracking and decision making but it should not make you crazy. Eggs are a place were variance is small and measuring per unit probably makes sense unless they make up 20% or more of your diet. Then you might think about variance as something highly important. (But you probably have other problems then.)

Think of it this way. Your actual isn't necessarily what you record. Consider to persons:

Person A - logs minutely everything to as perfect as possible. Average calories are 1523.2 for the last 2 months with a deficit of exactly 500 cals a day. Her weightless has been steady at about 1 lb but some variability is occurring due to exercise, undigested food and time of month. Very consistent.

Person B - logs well but not perfectly - in fact, forgets to log about 200 cals a day every day (that half donut she eats off her husband). Initially was losing well at about 1500 (assumed deficit of 500) but wasn't seeing the expected 1 lb loss. She adjusted and is eating at about 1300 (recorded actual is around 1500) and now losing at about 1 lb. But she's consistent.

Who gets to goal first?

You may be under logging or, less likely over logging food and vice versa for exercise. It doesn't matter IF you are consistent.

Value precision (consistency) vs accuracy. It will take you further.

accuracy-vs-precision.jpg

And yes, accuracy and precision together is always better, but it should not drive you crazy.

• wrenak
    wrenak Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    If I'm frying it or using my breakfast sandwich maker, I weigh the whole egg, crack it into the hot receptacle, put the shell back on the scale, and log the difference. If I'm scrambling the eggs or adding it to something I'll put a bowl on my scale, turn it on so it's set to 0, then crack the eggs into the bowl.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    wrenak wrote: »
    If I'm frying it or using my breakfast sandwich maker, I weigh the whole egg, crack it into the hot receptacle, put the shell back on the scale, and log the difference. If I'm scrambling the eggs or adding it to something I'll put a bowl on my scale, turn it on so it's set to 0, then crack the eggs into the bowl.

Do you weigh the pan before cooking and after you serve the egg?
    How about the part of the egg that sticks to the bowl?
  • goodwifey82
    goodwifey82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I just find this all rather strange and time consuming. Just eat the damn egg......
    I'm pretty sure (correct me if I'm wrong) the calories on packaging is for the egg inside the shell anyways. So what is the point?
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I've only weighed my eggs twice that I can remember and it was recently. If I did before, it was a year ago or more.

I was actually surprised that my large eggs weighed way less than they should have. I still logged as a large and moved on. It wasn't really a planned weighing anyway as I was weighing and hitting tare for other things. They next box of eggs I weighed one out of curiosity and it was what it should be.

I'm just glad the price has come back down lol. There for awhile there price was so high they were a precious, expensive and guarded food in this house.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I just use the info for an egg from the container. Eggs are sized before you buy them, so even if it's not 100 accurate, it's pretty close. The difference is not enough for me to make another dirty dish by weighing.
    ^^This. If you major in the minors you'll drive yourself nuts. :)

Agreed.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I just use the info for an egg from the container. Eggs are sized before you buy them, so even if it's not 100 accurate, it's pretty close. The difference is not enough for me to make another dirty dish by weighing.

Another vote for this. However, I only eat 1 egg a day. If it's off by 10 calories, its no big deal. If you're eating giant omelets with 4-6 eggs everyday, it might matter a little more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I just log the size of the egg on the carton - ie large, extra large, etc. I don't weigh or measure.

This is what I did with supermarket eggs. However, the size of the eggs I get from back yard farmers varies wildly so I weighed them. Then they stopped having inventory due to the egg shortage and I started buying eggs at the supermarket again. I'm finding around 50% of eggs in a carton are one size smaller than advertised.

I weigh them in the shell but use the size option in the MFP database as I know the weight option does not include the shell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_egg_sizes

c92290c52df463469e06655f9a768e9a.png
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just use the egg size.
    I'm anal about weighing in grams, but I just use the size for eggs. I weighed them for a bit (grams of the liquid, edible, raw portion), and I discovered that while they might be off by a few grams, they always averaged out to the correct amount when I ate 3 - 4 of them.

Ditto. If I'm eating 20 eggs a day, the discrepancy would matter. But I'm not, so I don't.