measuring eggs

Options
I was wondering how you guys normally log eggs..
Should i crack and beat them and measure the liquid in ml or weigh them before cracking??

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I just log the size of the egg on the carton - ie large, extra large, etc. I don't weigh or measure.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    mifii10 wrote: »
    Should i crack and beat them and measure the liquid in ml or weigh them before cracking??

unless you are eating the shell, weigh it cracked (grams) beating it will not affect the weight.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Weigh the egg uncooked, that's what I did anyway.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I just use the info for an egg from the container. Eggs are sized before you buy them, so even if it's not 100 accurate, it's pretty close. The difference is not enough for me to make another dirty dish by weighing.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    I just use the info for an egg from the container. Eggs are sized before you buy them, so even if it's not 100 accurate, it's pretty close. The difference is not enough for me to make another dirty dish by weighing.
    ^^This. If you major in the minors you'll drive yourself nuts. :)
  • cddroid
    cddroid Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I use the info on the container.
  • cnbbnc
    cnbbnc Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »

This
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Lmfao some people are making weighing eggs more difficult than it needs to be. Just throw the pan you're going to use on the scale, tare, and weigh the cracked eggs. I don't know why someone would be getting an extra dirty pan.

I do not recommend not weighing eggs as some suggested. Although high in protein, eggs are also calorie dense. Continuously making serving size mistakes with them can really add up.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    mifii10 wrote: »

I put a bowl on my scale, tare it so it reads "0" and crack my eggs into it. Then I log the raw egg by grams. No scrambling necessary and I can still cook the egg however I want.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I throw the whole carton on my scale before turning it on. It shows zero, pull out my eggs, and then put the empty shells on top of the carton. The negative weight on the scale equals the actual weight of the used egg.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I just use the egg size.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I look at my packaging and log the brand...I have never measured or weighed my eggs. If my brand is not available, I just log what kind of egg it is...i.e. medium, large, etc.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    I scan the the egg box using the app and then enter how many eggs used
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    Depends on how tight you need to be with your logging. I weigh then without the shell. If i am weighing the rest of my food, i have the scale out anyway so its easy. Accuracy matters to me. ocd much? yes.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Scrambled, I weigh them after I crack them. If I'm frying them, I weigh the whole egg first then weigh the shell after, because the skillet doesn't sit well on the scale without pushing the eggs to the edge.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,617 Member
    Options
    I use the info on the packaging even if someone threw a couple extra large eggs into my large carton.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I always crack them into a bowl, whether weighing them or not (weighing for me is the norm). I always have, so I can fish out any bits of shell. I don't like crunchy eggs lol.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just use the egg size.
    I'm anal about weighing in grams, but I just use the size for eggs. I weighed them for a bit (grams of the liquid, edible, raw portion), and I discovered that while they might be off by a few grams, they always averaged out to the correct amount when I ate 3 - 4 of them.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    I just use the egg size.
    I'm anal about weighing in grams, but I just use the size for eggs. I weighed them for a bit (grams of the liquid, edible, raw portion), and I discovered that while they might be off by a few grams, they always averaged out to the correct amount when I ate 3 - 4 of them.

Ditto at this point, lol.
  • Mavrick_RN
    Mavrick_RN Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    With all this weighing and measuring and cracking and beating, how much variation do you get from the average of 70 calories per large egg?