Evening cut off time for eating!?!

Options

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I do IF and take in all my calories between 8pm and 2-3am, right before bed,
    I got down to 12% bodyfat doing this. So no, I do not think it matters, unless you suffer sleeping issues or acid reflux and the like.
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    not eating before bed is bullcrap - there is a specific "timing" to eating, however yes you can eat before bed and should

the one guy said he eats 70% of carbs before bed is just retarded....

hes either on steroids or gifted genetics..........

but he is right with the "myth" part - carbs = energy and if you don't use them in the day they store as fat... however you can eat them before bed if your macros are spread out.

you should eat 30-40% carbs before working out 1.5 - 30 minutes before and 25% GI carbs post workout

rest can be spread out how you would like as long as they are clean carbs...... to reach your total macro nutritionally level

I do everything this guy said.
    In addition, before I go to bed, I hook up an IV with Casein Protein. Your muscles will go catabolic if you don't do this. Just make sure your drip rate is set to less than 20 grams of protein per hour. If you add more, the body can't use the extra protein and it will turn into fat. If you use less, you muscle will start to break down.
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I learned recently that not only does your body not need the calories later (my cut off is 6:00 pm) but it actually interrupts sleep. The energy your body should be using to reach & maintain restful sleep, and repair your tired body, is consumed by burning the late night snack or late dinner. So it's really not great on many levels. Plus anything I eat after dinner is usually crap anyway....
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I feel like, provided I still have calories left for the day.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    not eating before bed is bullcrap - there is a specific "timing" to eating, however yes you can eat before bed and should

but he is right with the "myth" part - carbs = energy and if you don't use them in the day they store as fat... however you can eat them before bed if your macros are spread out.

you should eat 30-40% carbs before working out 1.5 - 30 minutes before and 25% GI carbs post workout

rest can be spread out how you would like as long as they are clean carbs...... to reach your total macro nutritionally level

So what will happen if non steroid users or people without gifted genetics eats most of their carbs before bed?

And why should you eat 30 - 40% of your carbs 15 - 30 minutes (or is that 1.5 hours) before and 25% GI carbs post workout? What is a GI carb?

What happens if you eat dirty carbs? What is a dirty carb?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

So what will happen if non steroid users or people without gifted genetics eats most of their carbs before bed?

And why should you eat 30 - 40% of your carbs 15 - 30 minutes (or is that 1.5 hours) before and 25% GI carbs post workout? What is a GI carb?

What happens if you eat dirty carbs? What is a dirty carb?
    In. To hear the answers to the above questions. :tongue:

As to the OP - meal timing has no effect upon weight loss, all other things (e.g., overall caloric intake) being held equal. Your metabolism works 24 hours a day unless you're dead, in which case you have more serious things to worry about than what time to eat your last snack.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Those carbs turn to fat IN YOUR MOUTH and you end up eating lard!
  • broscientist
    broscientist Posts: 102 Member
    Options

Those carbs turn to fat IN YOUR MOUTH and you end up eating lard!

That is why I prefer using an IV bag. I got the perfect stream of Macros and Micro Nutrients feeding my body 24 hours a day. Eating is overrated.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I try not to eat past bedtime, because I really dislike crumbs between the sheets.
  • SilverLotusGirl
    SilverLotusGirl Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    If you're within your calorie and macro limits I don't think it matters much what time you eat. I personally need to eat a little something before going to bed so that when I wake up, I'm hungry but I'm not so ravenous that I start scarfing everything in site before I can make something decent for breakfast.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    No.

But if I know I'm tired and I'm starting to feel a bit hungry, I go to bed. Tiredness can make you feel hungry - I think because your body is looking for energy where ever it can find it.
  • sighcoe
    sighcoe Posts: 4
    Options
    2 hours before you sleep, so that the growth hormone which burns fat will work properly.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I stop eating when I reach my target for the day or I would snack all e evening like I did when I weighed 27lb more! If its not enough I've woken up in the middle of the night, eaten gone back to bed and not put on any weight! The next day I up my calorie goals as that's ridiculous! :smile:
  • kazsjourney
    kazsjourney Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yep i stop when i run out of calories...regardless of the time :)
  • nee90
    nee90 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Digestion slows down when you are sleeping, so it's better to eat 2 hours before bed time or have a light snack 1 hour before.
    You shouldn't go to bed neither with full or completely empty stomach!

Edit: The time depends on how fast digestion works for anybody.
    But this is not just a personal opinion... Both my trainer and my doctor agree.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Midnight. I eat late, I rarely have breakfast at all cause I can not eat before I workout or I will feel sick and need the toilet. So I don't eat till about 3-4pm at the earliest. Then by that time it's almost dinner so I'll have that & then just whatever else I feel like till I go to bed.

It's all BS about not eating before bed & it will slow things down.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift, so there is no eveneng cutoff time for eating. I eat when I'm hungry, I stop eating when I'm not hugry anymore. It's working out so far.
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    if i'm home and eating, 6:30-7pm. which is my usual dinner time, other then tea afterwards i don't eat anything unless i'm hungry
    not one of those that believes in eating to that point regardless, just i feel that gives 3 hours b4 sleep time for the food to settle and start digesting and i've eaten enough for the day at that point anyway

and if i eat just b4 bed i have worse then normal nightmares or weird dreams which is not an unknown thing, it's proven that it can have an effect on how you sleep and your mental state during :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    I like to reserve a spot for a bedtime crisp sandwich, Red Rock Deli Chilli preferably. White bread, of course.

It chases the vat of red down very nicely.

It's all very sophisticated around here.