Trouble breathing.. What to do??

Options

Replies

• beatyfamily1
    beatyfamily1 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If your doctor says it's ok maybe it's too much at one time. Space out your walking throughout the day.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    First congrats!
    Second, you are growing another human being and your body is making many changes to accommodate that so it will definitely affect your fitness level. Sounds like you are overexerting yourself... keeping active means moving (even just stretching and walking) so try to take it easy and talk to your doctor if you have any concerns.

Thank you :) my doctor told me even an hour was a bit excessive but i dont believe that to be true?

Your statements about listening to your doctor contradict themselves between the first thread you started on this very subject and this latest thread on the same subject. You can do the wise thing, listen to both your doctor and body, which means not putting yourself into situations causing breathing difficulty or you can continue with what you are doing and risk not just your health, but that of your unborn child .... pick one.
  • mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Hi everyone thank you for your advice, my doctor told me an hour should be fine and that excercise is a good thing to help with the delivery of the baby. Im not trying to lose weight im just trying to "stay active"

I remember your other thread and your phrasing was not that your doctor said it was ok but that your doctor advised you cut back because you couldn't breathe properly

You still can't breathe properly because you are not supposed to be walking at 10% for an hour or dieting when you are pregnant

Your priorities are wrong, you are acting selfishly and you should absolutely go back to your doctor and talk to him honestly about your thought processes

Im sorry but i never said that i am dieting.. I am gaining weight quite a bit actually i just like to stay active, i love walking on the treadmill the doctor told me to cut back from an hour and a half so i did.. To an hour.... And its not working out for me so im going to try 30 min in the morning and 30 at night like the other advice i got.. Im afraid that any activity that i do causes shortness of breath and its not from the baby but from gaining so much weight. Im 5'9 and before i got pregnant i was 128 lbs today i am 158lbs in a matter of 3 months...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    That is a significant weight gain in 3 months and I would assume you have been eating over maintenance plus have some significant water weight

With my first I put on 54lbs the entire pregnancy of which I lost around 30lbs within a week of having my son ...

At 5'9 128lbs is borderline underweight but I'm pretty sure you know that

The attention you need should be from your obstetrician and primary care physician
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    How about trying a less exhausting exercise like swimming instead? You can get great exercise AND stretching with less stress on your lower body, which will be better as the baby grows. Many pregnant women at my fitness center switch to swimming somewhere in the second trimester and swear by it during the third. They say they feel much better balanced too.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I can only echo those who've said that if you're having trouble getting enough oxygen then so is your baby. Surely you understand that lack of oxygen can cause devastating consequences to a developing fetus? Please -- for your baby's sake you need to have a very honest discussion with your doctor about your weight related anxiety and your compulsion to exercise excessively.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    How about trying a less exhausting exercise like swimming instead? You can get great exercise AND stretching with less stress on your lower body, which will be better as the baby grows. Many pregnant women at my fitness center switch to swimming somewhere in the second trimester and swear by it during the third. They say they feel much better balanced too.

How about listening to her dr??? Swimming can also be rigorous and lead to shortness of breath
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I can imagine you're eating a lot, panicking and trying to work it off by treadmill walking (which is probably keeping you out of the kitchen too). Listen, I put on 5 stone when I was pregnant. 70lb. 70lb.
    There was nothing I could do. I had absolutely no self control. I was the size of a house.
    Why I'm telling you this, is because I managed to get a better body afterwards than I had ever had in my life. But it wasn't going to happen when I was growing my beautiful son.
    Here's another confession that I feel horrible about. I dieted when I breast fed. I really regret it. Feeding was a nightmare for 13 months.
    Anyway, go for some gentle walks, slow swims, yoga and stop when your breathing gets weird.
    Get fat. Have your healthy baby. Good luck.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Hi so ive posted before that i am pregnant and was having trouble breathing walking on the treadmill for 1.5 hours so i cut back to an hour (3.1 mph @ 10% incline) i just hit my second trimester but my energy hasnt kicked in. And even just an hour i can barely breathe.. Am i burning less calories? Is it bad to be pushing thriugh?

You say that you aren't trying to lose weight, but in your original question you are clearly asking about how many calories you are burning. It sounds to me like you are trying to lose weight.
    Im sorry but i never said that i am dieting.. I am gaining weight quite a bit actually i just like to stay active, i love walking on the treadmill the doctor told me to cut back from an hour and a half so i did.. To an hour.... And its not working out for me so im going to try 30 min in the morning and 30 at night like the other advice i got.. Im afraid that any activity that i do causes shortness of breath and its not from the baby but from gaining so much weight. Im 5'9 and before i got pregnant i was 128 lbs today i am 158lbs in a matter of 3 months...

It actually doesn't matter whether you are out of breath from activity or because you have gained weight. The end result is the same. You are out of breath. If you are struggling to get enough oxygen, your baby could be as well. You need to go back to your doctor & follow his/her guidelines.

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »

How about listening to her dr??? Swimming can also be rigorous and lead to shortness of breath

I agree, listening to her Dr and cutting back on the exercise is the way to go, but there can be alternate physical activity. Swimming CAN be rigorous but it doesn't have to be (why else are there so many different types of strokes and speeds, and why is it often recommended as a first exercise?) and can actually increase lung capacity.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    if it were me I would just take a long slow walk around the neighborhood if possible if the dr oks it. I did a LOT of walking when I was pregnant for both my kids.because I couldnt do much else either.I have asthma too so that was part of it for me. if you walk slowly you should not get out of breath if its a slower pace, you are still being active and its not strenuous(at least it shouldnt be).That baby is what you should be focused on,if you cant be active you cant be active, there are worst things that could happen when you have lack of oxygen.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone thank you for your advice, my doctor told me an hour should be fine and that excercise is a good thing to help with the delivery of the baby. Im not trying to lose weight im just trying to "stay active"

A 10% incline isn't exactly "staying active".
  • tiny_clanger
    tiny_clanger Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    What do you mean can't catch your breath? Are you fatigued after a period of exercise, or are you struggling to breath after physical exertion?

Shortness of breath is a symptom of several pregnancy related complications. I'd strongly recommend you go back to your doctor and get a referral for a midwife review and scan.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    If you're out of breath then so is your baby - you're impacting the oxygen they're receiving. Seriously think about that. You are restricting your baby's oxygen.

There's nothing inherently wrong with exercising while you're pregnant and often it's great BUT you absolutely need to listen to your body and your Dr. Your body is clearly telling you that it's too much so STOP. What's wrong with a gentle 20 minute walk with the incline down? You still seem focused on burning calories and losing weight, your focus during pregnancy should be on maintaining your health and that if your baby's. You WILL gain weight, more weight. Sone of it baby, some of it fluid and some of it fat. So what? You'll have created a baby! Lose the weight later.

Please talk to your Dr honestly about what's going on for you.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Exactly. I ran a half marathon like the week before I got pregnant. I was in shape. Halfway through my pregnancy I had to stop running. I had planned to run through my whole pregnancy but I just couldn't. By the end, a mile walk was the most I could manage. I also swam.
    You can't expect to keep up at the same intensity you were prior to getting pregnant. Some people can but clearly your body is telling you to cut back.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

Yeah, an hour walk at a relaxed pace is a lot different than a 10% incline, which your doctor may not realize if he/she doesn't use a treadmill at incline.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    ....Seriously what do you have to hear before you realise that you are acting dangerously and selfishly

I am actually appalled by your attitude, you need to grow up and if you can't take responsibility for the life growing inside you on your own, get help

Agreed.
    This is quite sad. OP you have no understanding of the very real damages you are doing to yourself and baby.
    Unfortunately there is nothing anyone can say to make OP understand. It's one of those situations where she will only understand once something happens...God forbid.
  • Himurahotaru
    Himurahotaru Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Never been pregnant but you should definitely lower the incline % because oh my God that's not any kind of leisurely walk. I understand being concerned about gaining weight but you should consider your own health and the baby's health. I'm sure you'd be fine with good eating habits and just being active like walking at a lower incline and not as intense. Save all of the crazy stuff for after the baby is born.
  • mrsaniamanning
    mrsaniamanning Posts: 56 Member
    Options

What do you mean?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

What do you mean?

She means that 10% incline is a big, strenuous incline and not a walk in the park. You're doing too much, too hard and your body is trying to tell you this and you are ignoring it.