I think I have to quit my dieting

Options
My name is lorraine and Im 18 years old. I weigh 141and I plan to lose 10 to be 130 and I started this diet on Tuesday but I need advice.

On Tuesday I started a diet and I've been doing good so far with eating well and everything. My main problem is that money is tight and my mom can't go to the grocery store till next week Sunday. In my fridge all I have is water which I hate now because on a diet you must drink 6 cups of water and I've been doing that which is a struggle. But anyways I have water, milk, peppers and things like that to cook for a dinner and I have ham and cheese and wheat bread for lunch and I have Special K cereal for breakfast. I don't have anything else to eat that I can munch on for snacks in between and so I've been eating like little hand fulls of cereal and honestly I'm in starvation! We can't afford to go to the market till the other Sunday and I don't know what to do.

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    First of all you have to stop looking at it as a diet. You have to see it as a healthier lifestyle. I never heard that you have to drink 6 glasses of water while on a diet. I think you should drink more than that everyday regardless what you are doing. Water is usually the only thing I drink. Try it with some lemon wedges in it or my personal favorite is a sliced cucumber. I do understand being broke though. There are days when I have little money so the kids and I will go get something cheap from the grocery store that is no where near healthy. Sad as it is healthy food is more expensive. I have found that cereal really isn't that good for you. But I always have regular oatmeal in the house. It is so much better for you than Special K and much cheaper. It also keeps you full longer. What do you have your calorie goal set at?
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Do you have any eggs? You could do an omelet with the ham, cheese & peppers. Any peanut butter? Just do the best you can with what you have until you can do differently. Any positive step is a start - such as drinking that water ;)
  • ldilone13354
    ldilone13354 Posts: 125
    Options
    To be honest I don't really have a calorie goal, nor did I know you were suppose to have one, I'm just trying to eat healthy everyday and I work out at 9Am by going for a jog or walk. Obviously money is tight right now so I don't know what I'm suppose to do because I can't go and buy something till Sunday so I don't know if I should break my diet and eat what I can which is 3 times a day. I usually wake up at 12 if I wasn't on a diet but now that I am I wake up at nine and workout, at ten eat breakfast and in two hours have a snack and that's ho the rest of my food schedule goes. I'm eating 5 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and drinking down water which I hate.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    I do have eggs and peanut butter with jelly but its by smuckers which is really fattening. It has 230 calories and I think 5g of fat.
    I mean, what do you think that I can make out of that for a snack in between my meals?

This is everything I have

Water
    Ham and cheese
    Whole wheat bread
    Smuckers peanut butter which is really fattening, I don't dare to eat it.
    Eggs
    Milk
    Special K cereal
    And meat which I cook for dinner.
    03221961 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    By looking at your profile picture you really don't look like you need to lose weight. Just enjoy the way you look and accept yourself you look great!!
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    By looking at your profile picture you really don't look like you need to lose weight. Just enjoy the way you look and accept yourself you look great!!

Your so sweet, thanks! Even though I look skinny, I have a stomach and I suck it in and that's how I live my life haha.
    Also my thighs have stretch marks all over and my thighs are really saggy except for my legs because their very toned but not my thighs. I have stretch marks so bad that I can't even wear shorts. The main reason why I'm on a diet is because I just want to lose 9lbs and also tone my legs so that my thighs can get nice and that my stretch marks and go away,
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    Do you have any eggs? You could do an omelet with the ham, cheese & peppers. Any peanut butter? Just do the best you can with what you have until you can do differently. Any positive step is a start - such as drinking that water ;)

I do have eggs and peanut butter with jelly but its by smuckers which is really fattening. It has 230 calories and I think 5g of fat.
    I mean, what do you think that I can make out of that for a snack in between my meals?

Water
    Ham and cheese
    Whole wheat bread
    Eggs
    Milk
    Special K cereal
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    First of all you have to stop looking at it as a diet. You have to see it as a healthier lifestyle. I never heard that you have to drink 6 glasses of water while on a diet. I think you should drink more than that everyday regardless what you are doing. Water is usually the only thing I drink. Try it with some lemon wedges in it or my personal favorite is a sliced cucumber. I do understand being broke though. There are days when I have little money so the kids and I will go get something cheap from the grocery store that is no where near healthy. Sad as it is healthy food is more expensive. I have found that cereal really isn't that good for you. But I always have regular oatmeal in the house. It is so much better for you than Special K and much cheaper. It also keeps you full longer. What do you have your calorie goal set at?

To be honest I don't really have a calorie goal, nor did I know you were suppose to have one, I'm just trying to eat healthy everyday and I work out at 9Am by going for a jog or walk. Obviously money is tight right now so I don't know what I'm suppose to do because I can't go and buy something till Sunday so I don't know if I should break my diet and eat what I can which is 3 times a day. I usually wake up at 12 if I wasn't on a diet but now that I am I wake up at nine and workout, at ten eat breakfast and in two hours have a snack and that's ho the rest of my food schedule goes. I'm eating 5 times a day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner and drinking down water which I hate.
  • castelluzzo99
    castelluzzo99 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I would say just try to figure out a good calorie goal and then make sure whatever you eat fits in that goal. If you are so hungry that you are "starving", then you really do need to eat more. Make a sandwich. One sandwich is probably going to be fine. Figure out how much milk and cereal will make 400-500 calories and eat that. Boil a couple of eggs. Peanut butter is okay--just measure or weigh how much you eat. It will fill you up. It's better than starving!Seriously!

It's better to eat not-as-healthy food than to starve. There was a guy who was walking across America in 100 days, and he wasn't eating enough. He was vegan and trying to stay vegan during the trip. He was doing a marathon every day, burning like 4000 calories a day and eating less than 3000. He almost had to quit. He finally decided that junk food that was full of fat, in addition to his healthy food, was better than starving.

Now, I know you aren't doing a marathon every day. But the point is, if all you've got is what you listed, then just eat reasonable portions (count calories if you are worried about it), and when you can go shopping next week, then get the healthy food you are used to. You won't gain 5 lb doing this. Trust me!
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You should have a calorie goal. MFP is a great tool to figuring out how many calories you should eat daily. Since you have very little to lose your calorie goal will probably be a lot higher than you think. And go ahead and eat the jelly. As long as you aren't eating a ton of it you will be fine. Everything in moderation. I haven't denied myself anything. If I want some chocolate and it fits into my calorie goal for the day then I am going to have that chocolate.
  • Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    I guess you'll just have to come over and I'll cook filet mignon with asparagus and pinot noir.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    I would say just try to figure out a good calorie goal and then make sure whatever you eat fits in that goal. If you are so hungry that you are "starving", then you really do need to eat more. Make a sandwich. One sandwich is probably going to be fine. Figure out how much milk and cereal will make 400-500 calories and eat that. Boil a couple of eggs. Peanut butter is okay--just measure or weigh how much you eat. It will fill you up. It's better than starving!Seriously!

It's better to eat not-as-healthy food than to starve. There was a guy who was walking across America in 100 days, and he wasn't eating enough. He was vegan and trying to stay vegan during the trip. He was doing a marathon every day, burning like 4000 calories a day and eating less than 3000. He almost had to quit. He finally decided that junk food that was full of fat, in addition to his healthy food, was better than starving.

Now, I know you aren't doing a marathon every day. But the point is, if all you've got is what you listed, then just eat reasonable portions (count calories if you are worried about it), and when you can go shopping next week, then get the healthy food you are used to. You won't gain 5 lb doing this. Trust me!

Everyday starting tomorrow I'm going to start doing a tv 20 minute workout and the next day I'm going for a jog in the morning. I'm going to try and change my workouts everyday but I'll still be waking up at nine in the morning.I have everything for breakfast lunch and dinner but my main problem is the snacking, since I don't have anything for snacks that's what is making me hungry.

Today I ate the last fruit which was pineapple for a snack and it didnt fill me up. I was so hungry an then I had my lunch which was a turkey sandwich with cheese on whole wheat bread and for a snack I ate a handful of Special K cereal because I don't have anything else. I swear today I was starving.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    At 18 and with only about 10 lbs to lose (you didn't say how tall you are), it sounds like you really just need to focus on the exercise rather than what you are eating right this moment. Walking/jogging is good, and I would also look at doing lunges - awesome for toning the problem areas you mentioned! You can find a lot of helpful exercise instructions on the internet for form, and YouTube for video instruction. You can do it at home without having to invest in special equipment. Building muscle will help you burn more calories and you should soon see progress.

Do not be afraid of Peanut Butter!!! yes the smuckers or brands with jelly or added sugar may not be the best choice, but PB itself is a source of good fat which your body needs for healthy skin and hair and to feel full. One slice of whole wheat toast with little PB would be a filling snack. I think the way you are structuring your eating, meal/snack/meal/snack/meal is ideal. This will prevent you from getting too hungry and keep your metabolism boosted. Sometimes we have to make do, and frankly a spoonful of PB is gonna make you feel more satisfied longer than a handful of cereal when you have limited options. I don't get food stamps until the 5th, single mom here, and believe me by this time each month my pantry and fridge are pretty bare. Top Ramen for dinner tonight!

I'll just say, I wish when i was 18 and really just needed to lose 20 lbs, that I had known more about exercise and got it under control then, rather than trying to do it now at 48 with 100 lbs to lose! All the best to you, you are beautiful.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    You should have a calorie goal. MFP is a great tool to figuring out how many calories you should eat daily. Since you have very little to lose your calorie goal will probably be a lot higher than you think. And go ahead and eat the jelly. As long as you aren't eating a ton of it you will be fine. Everything in moderation. I haven't denied myself anything. If I want some chocolate and it fits into my calorie goal for the day then I am going to have that chocolate.

I'll take your advice! :) even though I don't have much, I'll try my hardest to make something of what I have and on Sunday I'll get everything I need.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Stop thinking it's a diet! It's not!!!! It's a lifestyle change.
    Eat today like you will eat for the rest of your life.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options

Water
    Ham and cheese
    Whole wheat bread
    Eggs
    Milk
    Special K cereal

Excess calories make you fat, not PB & J. Do some research, calculate the number of calories you should be eating and count your calories and you can eat anything as long as you stay close to your calorie goals. Keep drinking the water, you'll get used to it and actually will come to crave it.

Things you can make with the items you have: Ham & Cheese sandwich, omelette w/ ham and cheese, PB&J sandwich, cereal w/ milk, french toast w/ PB&J. You didn't mention what kind of meat you have for dinner, but if there's enough you can have leftovers from it as well. Snacks can be the same stuff as you eat for meals. Again, you just have to stick to your calorie goals.

You might also try going to your local food bank to get some more food.
  • ldilone13354
    Options
    At 18 and with only about 10 lbs to lose (you didn't say how tall you are), it sounds like you really just need to focus on the exercise rather than what you are eating right this moment. Walking/jogging is good, and I would also look at doing lunges - awesome for toning the problem areas you mentioned! You can find a lot of helpful exercise instructions on the internet for form, and YouTube for video instruction. You can do it at home without having to invest in special equipment. Building muscle will help you burn more calories and you should soon see progress.

Do not be afraid of Peanut Butter!!! yes the smuckers or brands with jelly or added sugar may not be the best choice, but PB itself is a source of good fat which your body needs for healthy skin and hair and to feel full. One slice of whole wheat toast with little PB would be a filling snack. I think the way you are structuring your eating, meal/snack/meal/snack/meal is ideal. This will prevent you from getting too hungry and keep your metabolism boosted. Sometimes we have to make do, and frankly a spoonful of PB is gonna make you feel more satisfied longer than a handful of cereal when you have limited options. I don't get food stamps until the 5th, single mom here, and believe me by this time each month my pantry and fridge are pretty bare. Top Ramen for dinner tonight!

I'll just say, I wish when i was 18 and really just needed to lose 20 lbs, that I had known more about exercise and got it under control then, rather than trying to do it now at 48 with 100 lbs to lose! All the best to you, you are beautiful.

Thank you so much for your kind words and advice! My mother is on food stamps too that's why we all have to wait haha. :)
    I'm also doing squats and dumbell sidebents 50 times. I'll start doing the lunges too. Actually I'll do them tomorrow! :) I'm 5'7 and even though I look skinny, seriously im not. I suck in my stomach everyday and to be honest before I even started this diet I would eat whatever whenever! I'm a girl who loves fast food and especially pizza so Thats why I'm on this diet. For change and to fix my body,
  • ldilone13354
    Options

Water
    Ham and cheese
    Whole wheat bread
    Eggs
    Milk
    Special K cereal

Excess calories make you fat, not PB & J. Do some research, calculate the number of calories you should be eating and count your calories and you can eat anything as long as you stay close to your calorie goals. Keep drinking the water, you'll get used to it and actually will come to crave it.

Things you can make with the items you have: Ham & Cheese sandwich, omelette w/ ham and cheese, PB&J sandwich, cereal w/ milk, french toast w/ PB&J. You didn't mention what kind of meat you have for dinner, but if there's enough you can have leftovers from it as well. Snacks can be the same stuff as you eat for meals. Again, you just have to stick to your calorie goals.

You might also try going to your local food bank to get some more food.

For meat I have chicken, I also have whole grain rice and beans which is something I would eat for dinner.

My mother is on food stamps so I have to wait till Sunday to go to the market.
  • ecdce
    ecdce Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't even know what you're asking. You have to eat food and the only food you have to eat is what is at your home. Ergo, eat the food you have. There aren't any other options and there's not really anything to discuss. Peanut butter, ham and cheese sandwiches, and bell peppers for a couple of days aren't going to make you fat.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    First of all you have to stop looking at it as a diet. You have to see it as a healthier lifestyle. I never heard that you have to drink 6 glasses of water while on a diet. I think you should drink more than that everyday regardless what you are doing.

THIS

Lifestyle change that will be FOR EVER and water is the bomb! I drink anywhere between 3-4lt a day. Maybe add something to it if you don't like it. :flowerforyou: