I don't think i can do this

Options
I just started trying to lose weight again. i'm up to 225 pounds and I am exhausted and hungry all the time. last time I lost 50 pounds it's because I wanted this guy I had a crush on to like me back and that was my motivation and it helped a lot. i got down to 205 pounds. he never did like me by the way. now, I don't have any motivation except i'm sick of being fat and ugly. I am hungry all the time. I am exhausted all the time. i'd like to get under 200 but at this rate i'm going to start gaining. I think one of the main things that is making me fat is the exhaustion. i'm not getting enough sleep. my schedule makes it very hard for me to get enough sleep. this whole situation makes me really angry and frustrated. there's more to it but I guess that's enough for now. thanks for any ideas, feedback or sharing your own stories.

Replies

• strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Maybe your deficit is too aggressive. Maybe your exercise regime is too aggressive. You don't have to be hungry all the time to lose weight.

You need to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss. There are a ton of stickies in this forum to help you get started losing weight in a realistic, sustainable way.
  • angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    you CAN do this. we're here to help. ♥
  • bspringer544
    bspringer544 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Honey, I feel your pain but the only person who can help you is you. If you really want this you need to be strong. Find courage from within- not MFP, your boyfriend, or anyone else- or you'll never succeed.

I can tell you from my own experience, however, that it gets easier with time. I'm a compulsive eater who started out with zero impulse control. Now, after only two months, I find it harder to eat ENOUGH... Never mind reaching or exceeding my goal.

Just start small. Work on figuring out your sleep deprivation first before you embark on a lifestyle change. You could also consider finding out how many calories you require to maintain your current weight. Eat at that for a while until you're mentally prepared to start losing then perhaps try reducing your calorie intake by tiny increments each week. 50 or 100/day/week, for example.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    What are you looking for - someone to tell you that you can? Someone to tell you that you can't?

Sleep is important. Other than that other factors like self image, depression, habits and choices are all factors that can make or break weight loss.

If you think you can't - you won't.

Start there. Then figure out how. We are, as a community, a great resource. There is probably nothing that you are experiencing that someone here hasn't lived. Ask. Get support. Get it done.

Good luck.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,980 Member
    Options
    You can do this! Don't do it for some guy. Do it for you. Be your own motivation. This app is very helpful. If you start eating better that may help with the tiredness. Exercise will also help even though it may seem like you are too tired to exercise. Just start with a short walk around your block every day and gradually increase the length of the walk. Just don't give up. You may be tired of being fat, but don't believe for one minute that you are ugly. Start with small steps and take it one day at a time.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    suck it up buttercup.

every adult in this place fights to make time for sleep, food planning, exercise, family, work, kids, hobbies, life, etc.

its called..... life.

when you want to commit to it, then you will. right now, you are looking for someone to validate your excuses.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A long time ago I read "Being fat is hard. Losing weight is hard. Choose your hard."

It really resonated with me, because it is so true. Not losing weight isn't the easy way, it's just the familiar way. Sure, there will be changes needed, but they pay off.

If you're hungry - learn to use your calories in a more filling way. I'm a volume eater and use veggies and low cal foods to bulk up my meals.

Not getting enough sleep - either prioritise it more, or resign yourself to doing without it.

Thing is, the more you lose and the healthier you get, the better you feel.

You don't need to completely change your life. Small, sustainable changes are the key.

• haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Are you a shift worker? I'm wondering what's up with the sleep issues.
  • ghimm
    ghimm Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    There is also such a thing as head hunger. Many of use food as a crutch for when we're unhappy, bored, etc. Our head tells us we're hungry all the time, even if our stomach really isn't, and it's really hard to tell the difference! Try to decide if you're head hungry or really hungry with a few techniques: 1) When you are feeling hungry, try drinking a large glass of water and see if you still feel hungry. 2) Tell yourself that you will get a snack in an hour then go do something else. If you aren't really hungry, you will likely forget about it.
    If you're actually hungry, eat something. Make sure your meals are filling so that you feel satisfied.
  • katthomas
    katthomas Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. This is not easy. It takes work and dedication. But it also takes support. Do you have supportive people in your life? I have found a lot of negativity on these forums. People who think all it takes is will power. I'm not one of them. It sometimes takes some deep searching into yourself. It is true that no one can do this for you. You have to find the motivation that works for you. First ask yourself why you really want to lose weight and get healthy. Then ask yourself what changes you can reasonably make and sustain to reach your first goal. Make small goals at first. When you reach that first goal - Celebrate! Then move on to the next goal remembering how strong you are and the strengths that helped you succeed the first time. Before long you will be amazed at your progress. And when you do miss the mark realize that is ok. No one is perfect. We all go wrong once in awhile whether we admit it or not. Learn from it and move on.

You can do this! I know you can. You are beautiful and strong.
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    You won't if you tell yourself you can't. I have been at this for two years and there are many days I struggle. The whole end of last year was a struggle with some life changers that came up. Every day is a new chance.

Not sure what your sleep issues are but for the hunger start with a small goal each week. You have done it before so you know you can do it. It is just wanting it enough now.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    You CAN do it.

Focus all your anger and frustration at changing the situation.

One meal at a time, one day at a time.

Feed your body good, healthy food that meets its needs. Start some gentle exercise -- walking is great. Prioritize sleep.

You CAN do it.
  • JoJean12
    JoJean12 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Good points being made.

Just to add, the first step to losing weight is really wanting to. Don't bother if its a half ***ed attempt because you are doomed to failure.
    I got serious when I looked at myself in my full length mirror while I was sitting in a chair. I saw my stomache hanging over my pants and was sickened.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    You can do it. At first my motivation was being sick of being sick! It gets a whole lot better as you do it. A few months later you will feel so different. I'm not kidding. My life is so much different, better, than ever. Yours can be too.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately with that attitude you're probably correct. When you really are ready you'll have a positive attitude and will be able to succeed. You just may not be ready yet. The time will come when you realize you are more important than the excuses and you'll want it bad enough to do the work. Best of luck.
  • parkyyy134
    parkyyy134 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    d
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can do it, your sleep schedule does need to get as regular as possible. Once that is figured out if you are still tired all the time see your doc and have your thyroid checked, that was my problem.
    I suggest start small, even if you just switch your fast foodchoice for better choices, eat slower etc . educate yourself as much as possible about food you will be on a winning path.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    For now, just commit to learning how to weigh your food and log it accurately for 6 months. Get a good digital scale and use it religiously without fail. If you like to cook, explore some new lower calorie recipes. Only serve yourself one serving and log it. As for the sleep deprivation, look at what is the cause. Shift work? noisy neighbors? noisy family members? reading too much? Find the cause and change to eliminate it. for example, if you spend too much time reading late into the night, set an alarm to remind you to close the book. Remember: If you say you can't, you won't!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Maybe your deficit is too aggressive. Maybe your exercise regime is too aggressive. You don't have to be hungry all the time to lose weight.

You need to educate yourself on sustainable weight loss. There are a ton of stickies in this forum to help you get started losing weight in a realistic, sustainable way.

Cosigned.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I just started trying to lose weight again. i'm up to 225 pounds and I am exhausted and hungry all the time. last time I lost 50 pounds it's because I wanted this guy I had a crush on to like me back and that was my motivation and it helped a lot. i got down to 205 pounds. he never did like me by the way. now, I don't have any motivation except i'm sick of being fat and ugly. I am hungry all the time. I am exhausted all the time. i'd like to get under 200 but at this rate i'm going to start gaining. I think one of the main things that is making me fat is the exhaustion. i'm not getting enough sleep. my schedule makes it very hard for me to get enough sleep. this whole situation makes me really angry and frustrated. there's more to it but I guess that's enough for now. thanks for any ideas, feedback or sharing your own stories.

What's up with your schedule? It's true that when someone is sleep deprived it's harder to lose weight. I'm certainly less satisfied with the same amount of calories when I'm sleep deprived. And it's harder for me to make good choices.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/adult-health/expert-answers/sleep-and-weight-gain/faq-20058198

One explanation might be that sleep duration affects hormones regulating hunger — ghrelin and leptin — and stimulates the appetite. Another contributing factor might be that lack of sleep leads to fatigue and results in less physical activity.