Do your knees "crack"?

Options
My knees make this loud cracking sound when they bend, and also when stretching during exercise. It feels weird and gets me some odd looks from other people, but it's not painful or anything.

Does that happen with any of you? Any idea what causes it?

Replies

• suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    knees crack, hips pop and occasionally other things crack. Usually others can only here the knees though. I don't know what causes it, I look forward to what others say!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    yes

its' not bone it's gas bubbles / ligaments generally - it's called crepitus

consult someone if painful or swelling

otherwise can just be normal / sign of aging etc
  • tosi1312
    tosi1312 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    50 push-ups oughta fix it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm only 23 and I'm cracking up like an old person ! :lol: (no offense to older people)
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Well, I AM an old person (51) and mine have been cracking forever! The part that has changed since I"ve gotten this old is the aching joints....sigh...

it will happen to all of you too eventually!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    yes

Yup. It's done it since I can remember, so I guess this supports me being an old, crotchety person since birth...
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    yes

Yup. It's done it since I can remember, so I guess this supports me being an old, crotchety person since birth...

Seconded!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    If it concerns you or there is swelling invloved, then make an appointment with your doctor. Otherwise, ask him/her about it at your next scheduled visit.
    I have crepitous in my knees from an accident >20 years ago.and my other joints because of bad genetic luck. I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis at 34.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    as long as you aren't in pain- it's fine. if you have pain- go see a professional.
  • QueenofHearts023
    Options
    crazyravr wrote: »
    Ahhh the joys of sports and staying active hehe.

It's because I'm active??

But..

I was super lazy in high school and it still happened... :anguished:
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    My ankles often do this, even when just walking. No pain or anything though.
  • ald783
    ald783 Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My knees and one of my ankles constantly do this. If I crouch down they both crack super loudly. They've always been that way and I've mentioned it to my doctor and he said it's fine. As long as they're not causing you any pain, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Yup. Knees, ankles, sternum (weirdest thing ever)...my ankles have been cracking since I was 12.
  • NerineLuna
    NerineLuna Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Yep, I have the same 'problem'! Consulted a docter about it when it was actively troubling me in terms of doing sports and being active, at which point I was told it probably had to do with being a growing teenager. They couldn't find anything else wrong with me or my knees, so they told me to be patient and see if it still happened after I stopped growing. Unfortunately, it did, so I went back for check-ups every year or so. They have never been able to find anything, and since at this point it doesn't give me any pain or other uncomfortable side-effects - it's just the 'cracking' - I've been told not to worry about it.

So, I think most people in this thread are right. As long as it doesn't give you any pain, and does not pose an actual problem - as in, it doesn't impede movement or anything - don't worry about it. If it does, go see a docter. :)
  • tcatcarson
    tcatcarson Posts: 227 Member
    Options

No it's not - my knees crack all the time and I'm not getting any older.

No I'm NOT.
  • steph2740
    steph2740 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Could possibly try a joint supplement to help
  • ovidnine
    ovidnine Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    My knees and elbows do. They don't do it as often when I'm taking my glucosamine regularly.

They still do some, but not constantly.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    yes

Same. I've cracked since I was a kid.
  • JennyTor1
    JennyTor1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I was younger, my knees would crack whenever I flexed them very far. Then I started doing martial arts, and the problem went away almost completely. I think it was strengthening my leg muscles, particularly those around the knee that made the difference.