How do you not eat out as much?

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I eat out a couple times a week (Friday/Saturday) quite often.

Try to go to restaurants where there will be good choices. Ditch the "just get an appetizer" idea, since often appetizers are higher cal and not that filling. Avoid extras like high cal drinks and bread on the table and many of the appetizer options and get something balanced with protein and vegetables, not fried. Look at the portion and if it's too large, decide in advance how much you will eat and stick to it. Log and add extra fat beyond what was obvious, because it was likely there. Eat more lightly the rest of the day or else use your exercise calories to cover it. (I have some high exercise days on the weekends, so tend to be fine with having higher cal on the weekend too -- although my higher cals are Fri/Sat and my exercise cals come on Sat/Sun.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Plan different activities or meeting places.
    Find friends who like to do different things.
    Plan your order ahead of time and you'll be fine. Share a dish that is extra large portion or plan to take half home.

I only eat out once a week personally but it isn't that hard to make choices that fit my goal.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    I still eat out often. I look up the nutrition information beforehand and pick something that's going to fit into my goal.

This.

It would be very impractical and unsustainable for me to stop eating out.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Since there's no real way to avoid it without cutting down on your social life, I love the idea of embracing it. Instead of going with the appetizers, there are often lighter options on the menu. Research the nutrition of your favorite joints beforehand. Make sure to always include a vegetable side to help with volume and satiety.

I'm also a big fan of red wine, because you can sip that glass for a loooong time and it's fairly reasonable calorically.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of throwing parties. They can be potluck or they can be themed potluck such as everyone bring a Mexican dish. Don't forget the recipes. If you have enough time, it can be great fun to cook a themed potluck together in the hostesses kitchen. CICO is all about portion control. Think of how much money you would save by doing this and couple it with some active outings as well.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have a really, really hard time with this because of my job. I am constantly doing breakfasts, dinners, lunches with clients. It is hard to pass up opportunities to meet with people when they are the ones in control. I like the ideas here and I have come up with a couple to assist me as well:

1. the "fake" drink. I get invited for drinks often and I feel like a dick saying yes them ordering a water. But, it is what it is, so there are lots of pellegrino with lime in my future. When it is a coffee date, I go with a decaf americano

2. speak up and order first. Maybe others will be inclined to follow your lighter lead, and if they don't, too late, you already ordered a healthier option

3. I try not to open the menu all the way. I keep on the left hand side where apps, salads and soups are. This way I'm not swayed by something fabulous on the inside section of the menu.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    olive1968 wrote: »
    I have a really, really hard time with this because of my job. I am constantly doing breakfasts, dinners, lunches with clients. It is hard to pass up opportunities to meet with people when they are the ones in control. I like the ideas here and I have come up with a couple to assist me as well:

1. the "fake" drink. I get invited for drinks often and I feel like a dick saying yes them ordering a water. But, it is what it is, so there are lots of pellegrino with lime in my future. When it is a coffee date, I go with a decaf americano

2. speak up and order first. Maybe others will be inclined to follow your lighter lead, and if they don't, too late, you already ordered a healthier option

3. I try not to open the menu all the way. I keep on the left hand side where apps, salads and soups are. This way I'm not swayed by something fabulous on the inside section of the menu.

Another way to "fake" drink is to take a class of wine (or whatever the passed drink is at a cocktail party), hold it, carry it around...and never actually take a drink of it.
  • olive1968
    olive1968 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I think if I could carry a glass of wine with me all night and not drink it, I wouldn't have to be a member of MFP. lol When I am really in the zone though, I can nurse one for a long time.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I order a healthy salad with protein and bring along a small container of low calorie salad dressing. I measure at home so I know what I'm eating.