Brussel sprouts

bmhorton12
bmhorton12 Posts: 92 Member
What is the best way to fix Brussel sprouts? I'm in week 2 of my weight loss journey and I really want to try new things. I like most vegetables I've tried, but I have never tried Brussel sprouts. I have no idea how to cook them or what I should add to them to healthfully enhance their flavor. Help please!

Replies

• I love them! I love them roasted in the oven. If you have some extra calories, fry them up with a bit of bacon or pancetta.
  • ontosinc297
    ontosinc297 Posts: 43 Member
    I like to slice them and fry them up in a little bit of olive oil on a cast iron skillet. Add some salt and pepper to taste or even some bacon. Mmmm....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Roasted is the best IMO. No contest.

But I also like to shred them up and either
    *toss with pasta and parmesan,
    *or cook in a skillet with diced garlic, onion and red pepper, then crack 2 eggs over the top, cover and cook until the eggs are done.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited January 2016
    I second roasted, cut them in half and rub in butter, olive oil or bacon drippings, and salt and pepper. I used to hate brussel sprouts, now I can't get enough!
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    another vote for roasted.

I also lop off a bit of the stem then cut them in half lengthwise and sautee them in a bit of fat (butter or oil - your call) with some garlic powder, salt, and pepper. This is how my wife like them best. She likes the slightly charred on the edges. For a bit of brightness, hit it with a squirt of fresh squeezed lemon at the end.

Sarcasm's idea of doing it with a bit of bacon or pancetta...I am sure that is kickin'.

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Roasting is my favorite preparation too. I halve the brussel sprouts, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, line a cookie sheet with foil, add a little olive oil and seasoning (my favorite is garlic salt and black pepper) to the foil, toss the sprouts in the seasoned oil, and roast for about 15-20 minutes (turning them after about 10 minutes).
  • Treece68
    Treece68 Posts: 780 Member
    I can make no other suggestions then the ones here brussel sprouts are oh so good! I want some now!
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member

*or cook in a skillet with diced garlic, onion and red pepper, then crack 2 eggs over the top, cover and cook until the eggs are done.

I second this. Tried it a few weeks ago and tasted amazing. Also made like a fried rice.
  • mattyc772014
    mattyc772014 Posts: 3,543 Member
    And here is a great recipe. Roasted brussell sprouts with grapes, fig jam, walnuts and mint yogurt.
  • runfreer
    runfreer Posts: 23 Member
    Roasted! I like to drizzle them with balsamic before serving. Even my picky kid that hates anything but meat and bread loves them cooked this way.
  • bmhorton12
    bmhorton12 Posts: 92 Member
    Thank you!!! Can't wait to try these!
  • cessi0909
    cessi0909 Posts: 654 Member
    I fry them with some bacon and then add salt and onions. Nom nom I could eat them all day.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    cut in half and added to a few slices of chopped up frying bacon, sauteed until soft and a little burnt.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited January 2016
    Another vote for roasting. I adore brussel sprouts. I like to mix them with cubes of butternut squash. Toss with a little EVOO, salt & pepper, and just a bit of shredded parmesan. Roast in 350 oven for about 20 minutes. Divine!!

I also make a lovely salad with raw brussel sprouts and kale. I call it Christmas salad because it's green and red. So pretty and tasty, too!

Sorry, I never measure anything so don't know the exact nutrition breakdown.

Christmas Salad

Finely shredded brussel sprouts
    Finely shredded kale (prefer Lacinato)
    Pomegranate arils (seeds)
    Sliced or chopped almonds (or other nuts)

Lightly dressed with a lemon vinaigrette:
    Lemon juice and zest
    Minced shallots
    Dijon mustard
    Honey
    EVOO

Massage the shredded kale (this makes the greens more tender). Add the brussel sprouts, pomegranate arils and nuts. Toss with dressing and serve. Can be made in advance and refrigerated, but add the pomegranate arils just before serving so they stay bright and fresh. Enjoy!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    if large, cut in half.. olive oil, celery salt and dill seed, roasted
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member

I'm adding this to my "to cook" list this week. YUM!!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    I always roast them but sometimes add a little raw chopped bacon before roasting. Yum!
  • Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey
  • Nell8i8
    Nell8i8 Posts: 61 Member
    Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey

LMAO!! good looking out there
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey

I've been watching GoT for three seasons and, although they keep saying so, winter still hasn't come yet . . . . .

So does that mean it will take 3 years of eating brussel sprouts before you can expect a significant effect?