Brussel sprouts

Options

Replies

• bmhorton12
    bmhorton12 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I made the brussel sprouts tonight and they were amazing good!! I cooked them with a little bacon, salt, and pepper. They may be my new favorite veggie. Going to try roasting them next time.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I like them in vegetable soup. And I like to make a hash with potato or sweet potato, ham, and a poached egg - this usually happens when I have leftover roasted potatoes and Brussels.
  • LivisMommy10
    LivisMommy10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey

Haha - too funny.
  • LivisMommy10
    LivisMommy10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Just roasted some tonight - before roasting, tossed them in some olive oil, parm, minced garlic, s & p, fresh lemon juice. Yum!
  • stevephi01
    stevephi01 Posts: 240 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm happy enough with them just boiled.

If you want some variety and have boiled /mashed potatoes left overs, you could try a bubble and squeak bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/164622/bubble-and-squeak may want to change some of the ingredients to fit your calorie budget.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Roast, roast, roast, roast. My fave combo is to use soy sauce, stevia, salt and pepper and then roast. Sometimes I will add garlic and cayenne. Sweet and salty and sometimes spicy. YUM
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Roast with olive oil salt and pepper or sautée in a pan with one piece of bacon.
  • pronetocrash91
    pronetocrash91 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The one time I made them, I roasted them with olive oil and garlic powder. They weren't awful but they weren't something I'd make again. I'll have to try again with different seasonings and stuff.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Roasted, sautéed, steamed or boiled. Your pick.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Clearly everyone here has already listed the best way...Roasted with salt and pepper (after sauteing in a little bacon fat for a few minutes if you have the calories). Mmmmm i'd eat those babies with every meal.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Since you have never had them before please understand the farts will come like the winter in game of thrones. Just wanted to make sure you were ready. Good journey

Ha! You... I like you.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I haven't done this yet, but I'm my hubs and I are obsessed with shallots, portabella mushrooms and garlic sauted together. We had the mixture with asparagus this week (amazing) and I can see it being tasty with fresh brussel sprouts. Hope you find something you like!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I like to slice them and fry them up in a little bit of olive oil on a cast iron skillet. Add some salt and pepper to taste or even some bacon. Mmmm....

^^ My favorite way also. Brussel sprouts are one of my favourite vegetables.
  • michael_jordan7
    michael_jordan7 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the votes for roasted, but I also like the steamable bags of brussel sprouts and then just add a little butter, salt, pepper to taste.
  • leahkathleen13
    leahkathleen13 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Italian spizzat:
    Olive oil to brown some garlic, then add chicken on the bone. Brown chicken.
    Add Brussels sprouts and potatoes.
    Add two inches water and put a lid on it.
    Summer one hour. Salt to taste.

Remove from heat and let set. It's a magical flavor combination! So simple and the product is much more than the sum of its parts. Economical and filling.
  • rontafoya
    rontafoya Posts: 365 Member
    Options

They never once gave me gas and I eat tons of them.

PS: I either roast them with chopped bacon and/or tossed in olive oil or melted butter--first you halve them, and throw the loose leaves/pieces in, they get crispy and nice. I also pan fry them slowly, but they usually do better in the oven.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    I roast them, coat in salt and pepper. Then I toss them in a maple balsamic reduction I made while they're roasting. Sometimes I'll add a little lemon juice or zest to cut the sweetness of the balsamic reduction. It's amazing
  • sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Smoked Brussels sprouts are also amazing. We just put a little bit of dry bbq seasoning on them and put them on smoker it was delicious

I also like to roast them and mix with a little feta cheese
  • Michaelg235
    Michaelg235 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Cut them in half and roast them in balsamic vinegar
  • Amerane
    Amerane Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Stir-fry quick and hot in chili oil and drizzle with a balsamic reduction and lemon juice.