Overcoming Food Temptations

Options
2»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Cat0703 wrote: »
    I work at a hotel and there are constantly leftovers in the break room. I cannot stop at one goodie so I usually picture how many people touched the food (or sneezed on it if I'm really having a hard time resisting) before it made its way there. Turns me right off of even my most favourite food. Gross, I know, but 100% effective!! Suggesting healthy alternatives or bringing something to share from home is good too. There are likely others in the same boat that would appreciate it.

Totally this, lol.
  • jame0529
    jame0529 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    These are all great suggestions, thanks!. My issue is definitely that if I eat one thing, it's a slippery slope for the rest of the day. Not because I'm restricting my calories, but because I just want the yummy treats! I'm going to try to plan ahead, and stock my drawer with healthy alternatives so that I have other options if I really feel the need for a "treat".
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    jame0529 wrote: »
    I work in an accounting firm, and as busy season approaches there will be tons of snacks around the office and lunches being catered. I try to resist and bring my own healthy foods, but when the indulgent foods are laying around all day, sometimes I find it hard to resist. Do you have any tips for avoiding? I was thinking about some type of "money in the bank" every time/day that I don't give in to the temptation. And then at the end of busy season I can treat myself to something.

I like the money in the bank idea! Is it possible to avoid the areas where the food will be? Also, I think if you are able to restrict yourself outside of work, it is ok to indulge every now and then. This really helped me when trying to avoid unhealthy food and cravings https://www.myliporidex.com/blog/30_day_body_transformation_avoiding_the_temptation/

These tips are good, but more apply to things you can control in your home. When it comes to people bringing treats into my work, I just say no to all of them so I am not tempted to have just one here and there, and then another and another....people have stopped offering me things now because they know my "policy."
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I just take one or maybe two big bites of whatever is tempting me. I throw out the rest. Then, my curiosity is satisfied. I find that it is quite rare that something is so insanely delicious that I need to eat the whole thing.

I understand that this strategy is not for the type of person who cannot stop eating once they start, but it's a great approach that works well for me. Good luck!
  • whit37k
    whit37k Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For me if I bring my own food that is all the self control I need - just because I can't stand wasting money! If I bought it, I'm gonna eat it.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Take a veggie tray to share. If you end up where all the food is, you can snack on the veggies while socializing. If you avoid the room altogether, then you just helped a few other people get a few more servings of veggies.

But to be safe, if avoid the room altogether if you can. If you'd rather save your indulgences for other situations, then just tell yourself no. Don't think about it, don't consider your options, just go without.

And if you feel like you must have one, log it ahead of time to help decide if it's worth it.
  • BuffyBourbon
    BuffyBourbon Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    tnm7760 wrote: »
    Take a veggie tray to share. If you end up where all the food is, you can snack on the veggies while socializing. If you avoid the room altogether, then you just helped a few other people get a few more servings of veggies.

But to be safe, if avoid the room altogether if you can. If you'd rather save your indulgences for other situations, then just tell yourself no. Don't think about it, don't consider your options, just go without.

And if you feel like you must have one, log it ahead of time to help decide if it's worth it.

Totally this! I used to work in an office where we had a big snack day EVERY thursday, everyone brought something and we worked through lunch, and then we could leave early on Fridays. I started taking fresh strawberries, and low calorie whipped cream. It felt decadent, and was pretty easy to tell the calories I was having!