Baby Food Diet

Options
So recently I've started to really start paying attention to my weight and what I'm eating. The hardest thing I've been struggling with is lowering my calorie counts. Granted I'm finally on a regular gym plan and drink lots of water but I still get hungry.

Has anyone tried the baby food diet? I'm not looking to replace ALL of my meals. Honestly, I'm more looking at them as a low calorie snack and possibly a low calorie lunch. Any experiences anyone would like to share?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    But you cannot eat baby food for the rest of your life.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    Options
    I like the cookie air diet.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Someone started a thread about it the other day. Just sounds gross.

Just eat less. There are plenty of low calorie grab and go snacks out there that aren't baby food.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Why? Your not a baby. You can chew the same fruit and veggies.
  • julesxo
    julesxo Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Buy apple sauce? Hell of a lot cheaper.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    But you cannot eat baby food for the rest of your life.

Seconded. Grow up! :D
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Why? Your not a baby. You can chew the same fruit and veggies.

This. I would think chewing the same fruits and vegetables would be way more fulfilling (and probably cheaper).
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Are you planning on doing it the rest of your life? If so, go for it. If not, you're probably better off finding another method. I mean, yeah, you can do that, but baby food is so bland. I had to eat it for a week after getting all four wisdom teeth cut out and I got to the point where I ate just because I had to. I didn't enjoy it, it didn't have the flavors I was wanting, so I kinda got to feeling like there was no point, ya know?

If you want to use something for snacks and supplements, juicing does work well for that. It's not a good idea for meal replacement except every now and then, but it's a good way to get extra nutrients and fill you up between meals. I'm not a jucer because I don't like the flavors the different recipes have, but you might find ones you like.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    just starting out and starving = you are lowering your calorie allotment too much.

Start with smaller deficits and work your way down. If you start at crazy low calorie allowances you won't be able to lower your intake later when you are smaller and require less calories to fuel yourself.

shoot for a 1 pound per week loss instead of a 2 pound per week. Eat back 50% of your earned exercise calories.
  • MurpheysA
    MurpheysA Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Well for one I posted this for experiences not your opinions kind of makes people NOT want to ask question.

Also, I'm not talking about the jarred food, there's small meals that are like the marie calenders but they're smaller portions, and less calories.

Also, I never said I would be changing my diet to eat baby food the rest of my lift. This is suppose to be a simple solution for now while I get my cravings under control.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I'll send you the baby food I have. My little one went straight from milk to solids. Kind if annoying I even bought the organic stuff...
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    MurpheysA wrote: »
    Well for one I posted this for experiences not your opinions kind of makes people NOT want to ask question.

Well, personally, I do have experience with the baby food diet, but that was ages ago.
  • MurpheysA
    Options
    just starting out and starving = you are lowering your calorie allotment too much.

Start with smaller deficits and work your way down. If you start at crazy low calorie allowances you won't be able to lower your intake later when you are smaller and require less calories to fuel yourself.

shoot for a 1 pound per week loss instead of a 2 pound per week. Eat back 50% of your earned exercise calories.

Currently my calorie goal is 2000 calories a day. And my goal is to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound a day.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options

Also, I'm not talking about the jarred food, there's small meals that are like the marie calenders but they're smaller portions, and less calories.

Also, I never said I would be changing my diet to eat baby food the rest of my lift. This is suppose to be a simple solution for now while I get my cravings under control.

But what about when you stop eating the baby food? You having cravings now and you're not eating baby food. You are going to end up right back where you started from.
  • MurpheysA
    Options
    dubird wrote: »
    Are you planning on doing it the rest of your life? If so, go for it. If not, you're probably better off finding another method. I mean, yeah, you can do that, but baby food is so bland. I had to eat it for a week after getting all four wisdom teeth cut out and I got to the point where I ate just because I had to. I didn't enjoy it, it didn't have the flavors I was wanting, so I kinda got to feeling like there was no point, ya know?

If you want to use something for snacks and supplements, juicing does work well for that. It's not a good idea for meal replacement except every now and then, but it's a good way to get extra nutrients and fill you up between meals. I'm not a jucer because I don't like the flavors the different recipes have, but you might find ones you like.

Thank you!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options

Currently my calorie goal is 2000 calories a day. And my goal is to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound a day.

And you're starving? What are you eating?
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

For the record, I did post my experience.

The reason we're asking if you want to do this for the rest of your life is that what you should aim for is changing your eating habits, not doing a temporary fix or diet. Doing what you're describing is a temporary fix. When you stop it, you go back to what your body considers normal eating habits, and you've done yourself no good.

What exactly are you craving? Is it something you can ban from your house for a while, or is it that you find yourself eating more than you should? If it's certian snack foods, banning them from your house will prevent you from browsing and snacking. You would have to actually go out and get them, and I know for me, I didn't want to do that. Laziness can be useful! XD If you find yourself eating more than you should, gradually tapering down the amount you eat of things gives your body time to get used to the change, but you're still getting to eat foods you like.

Edit: apparently, this took longer to write than I thought. ^_^;
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I don't think anyone understands what problem, exactly, this is solving. Or at least I don't.

If you're truly hungry, small portions of pureed food (or whatever you are planning on buying) probably aren't going to address that issue. If you're craving specific tastes or textures, small portions of pureed food probably aren't going to address that issue.

But if you think it *will* be a solution for whatever problem you're facing, then our opinions don't really matter.
  • MurpheysA
    Options

But what about when you stop eating the baby food? You having cravings now and you're not eating baby food. You are going to end up right back where you started from.

My hopes is that as I exercise more and begin to get better control on my weight and my food intake, I won't crave food as often, as my food adapts. I don't know much about food and diets, and I was trying to find a solution for something that has a decent shelf life and I can grab on the go.