Baby Food Diet

Options

Replies

• ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    MurpheysA wrote: »
    just starting out and starving = you are lowering your calorie allotment too much.

Start with smaller deficits and work your way down. If you start at crazy low calorie allowances you won't be able to lower your intake later when you are smaller and require less calories to fuel yourself.

shoot for a 1 pound per week loss instead of a 2 pound per week. Eat back 50% of your earned exercise calories.

Currently my calorie goal is 2000 calories a day. And my goal is to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound a day.

Baby food aside, I think you need some serious education on how weight loss actually works. You're setting yourself up for failure.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Don't mind me. Just dropping this here in case someone needs a refresher on when to flag vs. when to report: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10007789/flagged-content-reported-posts-warning-points?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    just starting out and starving = you are lowering your calorie allotment too much.

Start with smaller deficits and work your way down. If you start at crazy low calorie allowances you won't be able to lower your intake later when you are smaller and require less calories to fuel yourself.

shoot for a 1 pound per week loss instead of a 2 pound per week. Eat back 50% of your earned exercise calories.

Currently my calorie goal is 2000 calories a day. And my goal is to lose 1/2 pound to 1 pound a day.

A day? I want to make sure that isn't a typo.

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I was trying to find a solution for something that has a decent shelf life and I can grab on the go.

100 calorie almond packs
    KIND fruit and nut bars
    Pistachios
    100 cal beef or turkey jerky bars
    Pack of peanut butter crackers

Those are some of my favorites
  • MurpheysA
    MurpheysA Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    I was trying to find a solution for something that has a decent shelf life and I can grab on the go.

100 calorie almond packs
    KIND fruit and nut bars
    Pistachios
    100 cal beef or turkey jerky bars
    Pack of peanut butter crackers

Those are some of my favorites

Thank you!

• MurpheysA
    edited January 2016
    Options

week... Sorry!
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

1/2 a pound to 1 pound a day weight loss is NOT healthy in any way, shape or form. 1 pound a week is probably where you should aim. Yes, it's slow. This is a slow process. But would you rather lose the weight quickly in an unhealthy way and then gain it right back, or would you rather lose the weight slowly and learn better habits to help you keep it off? That decision is up to you, we can't make it for you. We all have advice and methods that work for us, and we're happy to share. But no one here is going to suggest such an aggressive plan that will leave you seriously malnourished.

There's a lot of links on the forum you can read that will be very helpful if you're just starting out. I can understand being confused about weight loss. I thought it was an all or nothing thing, and since I could do it all at once, assumed I couldn't do it at all. A large part of that is that you see so many ads for fad diets that work short term, but when the person stops it, the weight comes back. That doesn't have to be you, but again, it's your decision.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options

Yes.....

Yes a typo? or yes a day?
  • MurpheysA
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

1/2 a pound to 1 pound a day weight loss is NOT healthy in any way, shape or form. 1 pound a week is probably where you should aim. Yes, it's slow. This is a slow process. But would you rather lose the weight quickly in an unhealthy way and then gain it right back, or would you rather lose the weight slowly and learn better habits to help you keep it off? That decision is up to you, we can't make it for you. We all have advice and methods that work for us, and we're happy to share. But no one here is going to suggest such an aggressive plan that will leave you seriously malnourished.

sorry I meant week... I was talking about 2000/day 0.5/1lb a week
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes.....

Safe and sustainable weight loss is in the range of .5-2 pounds a week (depending on your weight). 3.5 - 7 pounds a week is not a realistic goal. I think you might be setting yourself up for big disappointment. I know you didn't ask for feedback on your goals, but this is . . . really fast.

Even if you did manage to lose that much, it wouldn't be fat and you likely would be really unhappy with the final results physically.
  • diannethegeek
    Options

Yes.....

Are you currently attempting this under doctor supervision? That's an incredibly aggressive weight loss goal that shouldn't be undertaken unless a qualified professional believes it's absolutely necessary.
  • MurpheysA
    Options

Yes.....

Safe and sustainable weight loss is in the range of .5-2 pounds a week (depending on your weight). 3.5 - 7 pounds a week is not a realistic goal. I think you might be setting yourself up for big disappointment. I know you didn't ask for feedback on your goals, but this is . . . really fast.

Even if you did manage to lose that much, it wouldn't be fat and you likely would be really unhappy with the final results physically.

I just edited that response... It was suppose to be 2000/day, 0.5/1lb a week.
  • diannethegeek
    Options
    Well for one I posted this for experiences not your opinions kind of makes people NOT want to ask question.

Well, personally, I do have experience with the baby food diet, but that was ages ago.

I see levity is considered abuse now. I thought this joke was cute.
  • dubird
    Options

sorry I meant week... I was talking about 2000/day 0.5/1lb a week

Ok, yeah, much better! ^_^ Have you ever calculated your BMR? Your goal may be too high, but without knowing stats, can't really say for sure.
  • MurpheysA
    Options
    Well for one I posted this for experiences not your opinions kind of makes people NOT want to ask question.

Well, personally, I do have experience with the baby food diet, but that was ages ago.

Why try to make someone feel bad?

I thought this was suppose to be a place you can ask questions and get help without feeling made fun of or stupid. Why do you think I haven't been able to learn about things like this? All your doing is shaming someone for asking a question about something I read on the internet.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Yes.....

I just edited that response... It was suppose to be 2000/day, 0.5/1lb a week.

Got it, that makes *much* more sense. Ignore what I said then.

Are you truly hungry on 2,000 a day or is it more like cravings? If you are truly hungry, I would suggest making sure you are getting enough protein, fat, and fiber. Often when I'm hungry, it's because I'm missing one of these. Try drinking more fluid (if you think this could be an opportunity). Look at your meal spacing. Could you rearrange meals to eat more at the times of day when you're really hungry and less other times of day?

If it isn't real hunger, but cravings -- are you getting enough of the foods that you truly enjoy or have you cut out too much of the stuff that you like? What are you craving?
  • MurpheysA
    Options

Ok, yeah, much better! ^_^ Have you ever calculated your BMR? Your goal may be too high, but without knowing stats, can't really say for sure.

I did the other day but don't know really know what it means. According to MFP, it was wanting me to try to eat 1690 a day. But I raised it so that I would be able start a little higher.
  • dubird
    Options

I thought this was suppose to be a place you can ask questions and get help without feeling made fun of or stupid. Why do you think I haven't been able to learn about things like this? All your doing is shaming someone for asking a question about something I read on the internet.

Sarcasm and tough love are pretty standard around here. No one is trying to shame you for asking questions; rather, we're happy you're asking questions and willing to listen. The only way you can educate yourself in the mire of weight loss is to ask questions. There's so much misinformation, broscience and woo out there, espically on the internet, that it very quickly becomes confusing!
  • diannethegeek
    Options

All I've done so far on this thread is link you to a similar thread so you can find people attempting the same thing, link to the flagging rules for someone who's missed them, ask if you're being supervised when it looked like you were going after an incredibly aggressive goal, and let someone know I liked their joke. How terribly unsupportive of me.

I'm out. Good luck everyone else.
  • janejellyroll
    edited January 2016
    Options

I don't think anyone is trying to make you feel bad. People are joking about something that is, really, kind of silly -- eating baby food.

I mean, adults eating baby food . . . it's kinda funny, kinda silly, right?

Virtually all of us have done things that are silly or funny to lose weight (at least I have!). Instead of taking it personally, try to take it in the spirit that it was probably intended -- fun.