1220 Caloroes per day

Options
Do you consider 1220 calories a day, not enough calories for a 51 years old woman ? I'm already at 134 lbs but find myself sometimes hungry at the end of the day .

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    How tall & how active are you, and what are your goals?
  • kimreztituyo
    kimreztituyo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    It really depends. I'm doing okay on around 1200 on days i don't exercise, exercise days I try to eat back half my 'exercise calories'.
    What's your activity level? What kind of calories are you eating? Protein and high fiber will help you feel full longer, while fruit and salad veggies process pretty quickly. If you're active, you probably want to up your calorie intake a bit.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Do you consider 1220 calories a day, not enough calories for a 51 years old woman ? I'm already at 134 lbs but find myself sometimes hungry at the end of the day .

Your height would have to be factored in as well. Looks like you may have put your settings to lose 2 lbs a week, which is most likely way too aggressive for your current weight. Losing less at a slower pace will give you more calories and you won't feel so hungry.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    I'm 5'4" and at 125-130 I will be ok . I workout 6 days a week with Cardio and weight training for 1 hour/day

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    I'm 5'4" and at 125-130 I will be ok . I workout 6 days a week with Cardio and weight training for 1 hour/day

It's probably good...IF you also eat back your exercise calories (so closer to 1400 - 1500 in total)
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    That's a lot of exercise on so few calories for your size. You're already at a healthy weight--what are your goals?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    No, it's not enough. It is a base and you're earning more through exercise. The winner gets to eat the most and still lose.
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would say you're okay, as long as you're eating back exercise calories.
  • Schila64
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    That's a lot of exercise on so few calories for your size. You're already at a healthy weight--what are your goals?
    At my age would like to get to 125-130
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I would say this is not enough calories for anyone over 5 feet tall. At your weight, you're healthy, so what you really should do (if you're looking for my opinion) is slowly increase calories to where you can maintain, and do some more weight training. Your body will transform and get that 120lb look but you can eat way more.
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You're my twin. 51, 132, 5'3. I had been eating 1200 daily and got to my goal weight of 125 twice on 1200 daily working out 5-6 days a week - once to 123! ALAS. The weight crept back up each time to 132, so while i can lose, maintaining that loss is hard! Hired a trainer this time around who thought I was crazy for being so low on calories. She thought 1400 was the minimum I needed and still trying to wrap my head around that - scared I will gain. BUT I'm gonna try. It's funny I just read something about the whole "is 1200 really too low". I'll figure out how to add the link.
  • Janehds0284
    Janehds0284 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's ok for you but I'm doing 1200 as well with exercise 4 times a week. 30mins each time. So far I'm ok. Most day I never really hit 1200 feel free to add- I share diary.

I have lost 15kgs after labour in mid November.

Good luck :)
  • CeeBeeSlim
    CeeBeeSlim Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    http://www.ontheregimen.com/2015/03/10/many-calories-woman-eat-fat-loss/

Hope the link works. Be interested in what you all think. Mind you. When I started to get serious about my weight I subscribed to a gabillion folks. The good thing that did for me was that every time I opened my email, I was reminded about weight loss, fitness, nutrition, strength training etc. I'm not endorsing anything just sharing. :)
  • tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think 1,200 calories is fine. I'm turning 38 soon, 5'4" and 134.2 lbs. I eat between 1,000 and 1,300 calories 6 days a week with eating dinner out and having some drinks on the weekend and I've been losing around 0.7-0.9 lbs a week which is accurate for my weight. I usually lose weight as long as my net daily average is not higher than 1,300-1,400. You can chose to eat that daily if you are hungry, or save your exercise calories for a restaurant meal and drinks if you desire once a week.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I also think 1200 calories is good. I very rarely go over 1300, except for the special occasion. I am 5'9" and 190lbs. I lost 90 pounds about 15 years ago and it's slowly crept back on. I'm back on the 1300 max for life now - don't ever want my weight to get out of control again!
  • Schila64
    Options
    I don't know if it's ok for you but I'm doing 1200 as well with exercise 4 times a week. 30mins each time. So far I'm ok. Most day I never really hit 1200 feel free to add- I share diary.

I have lost 15kgs after labour in mid November.

Good luck :)
    Thank you. I don't know if I'm wrong but you are 20 years younger than me. I have the feeling that as we get older we get hungrier and our metabolism slows a little bit more. I do my best to keep under 1200 but is hard.

• Schila64
    Options
    tiffkittyw wrote: »
    I think 1,200 calories is fine. I'm turning 38 soon, 5'4" and 134.2 lbs. I eat between 1,000 and 1,300 calories 6 days a week with eating dinner out and having some drinks on the weekend and I've been losing around 0.7-0.9 lbs a week which is accurate for my weight. I usually lose weight as long as my net daily average is not higher than 1,300-1,400. You can chose to eat that daily if you are hungry, or save your exercise calories for a restaurant meal and drinks if you desire once a week.
    I haven't had a drink since I started January 1st so I don't go over the 1200 :(:( Miss that glass of wine, though

• DaisyBlinks
    DaisyBlinks Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I'm a little taller than you, weigh a little less and I'm losing on 1540. (slowly but surely). I think you should up your calories a bit and see how it goes. What did MFP give you? Keep in mind that you should set your weight loss to .5-1 lb a week.
  • Verdenal
    Verdenal Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Hunger is not a good measure. On every diet there will be moments of hunger. You have to evaluate your caloric and nutritional needs based on your current weight, height, age, health, and goals. If in doubt, speak to a nutritionist.

I'm 58, 5'2" and sedentary. I can't lose weight on 1220. When I diet I have to plan my meals very carefully and I take a multivitamin and fish oil.