Weights - Mind Block - How do I get over?

Options
2»

Replies

• Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I started doing bodyweight exercises over a year ago, using You Are Your Own Gym. It's a great program, but I felt I'd progressed as much as I could with it so I started with actual weights about a month ago and am loving it! I never would have thought I would enjoy it but I really do. Aside from the improvement in my physique, I love being stronger.
  • Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Watch this "Gym Wildlife" video for an explanation of the various species in the gym. Great for a laugh and a confidence boost.

https://youtu.be/n1GUQVo1Lps

Oh @kerryokerry LOLLLLLL.... THIS US BLOODY HILARIOUS. Made my day :)
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    smurfbus wrote: »
    Yikes, first post here so hello. I mainly do weighted pull/chin ups but from what I've learned women should not be so shy of using heavier weights after they get comfortable with moving any weights. Using heavy weights 1-5 reps makes your metabolism keep going long after your workout and so helps with cutting/tuning. Just use a weight that leaves a rep or two short of your max so you don't get over stressed. And use progression (heavier weights or more sets/reps) weekly (or when ever you can) so your body does not get used to the exercise and start optimizing your energy output.

For the OP: If you just get the weights moving regularly its very motivating to see result when you can use heavier weights almost weekly! So keep some notes of your result if not a program with rep/sets and the weights dialed in before hand.

It makes much sense. Matter of fact today is the second day doing weights. And I graduated from 5 lbs to 10 lbs and then my arms went kapoot so I quit before injury. Tomorrow off and day after I will start small and incrementally move upto 10 lbs. Will see if I can get in 15 pounds atleast 2 to 3 reps. This is very informative. Thank you :)
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    There's a new book out by the New Rules of Lifting crew called stronger

Also OP - you could start with bodyweight - just to get in the zone - it's valid in it's own right

nerdfitness.com has a great beginner's bodyweight

Nerdfitness.com has terrific starter bodyweught exercises. I can totally avoid the grunting men of the gym and do this at home :) This is awesome. Thank you.
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    I was a cardio bunny for a long time until I found a gym that wasn't intimidating. I started out on machines working my way up in confidence before I tried the free weights. Most of them were on a different floor that only guys worked out on. I read the New Rules for Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5X5. I watched a LOT of videos on correct form and practiced at home with dumbbells. Then I put my big girl workout clothes on and put in my earbuds and got to work in the boys' only club. Started small like 15 and 20 pounds on the DL and squat and followed the Stronglifts program. In about three months, I was squatting and deadlifting half my bodyweight - keeping form in mind always. I made sure I had a plan when I went to the gym and wasn't just flailing around machine to machine. Unfortunately I moved before I could make too much progress and now two and a half years later, I'm back at a gym where I can lift again! So I'm basically starting over. There's a lot of guys at my new gym as well that I can literally see the look of surprise on their faces when I pick up the barbell. But you have to remember this journey is ABOUT YOU, not them. They had to start somewhere as well - maybe in their high school PE classes but they didn't know how to use the machines then either. My new membership comes with one free training session where my trainer already knows I want to work on form and have him look over my lifting plan. Meeting with him next week! You are always your biggest critic and at the end of the day, the other people in the gym aren't going to care how much you lifted cause they are too worried about their own gains. I give myself a little pep talk like this before my gym session to make sure I keep that mental block away! Hope this helps :)

:D very nicely said. Yes everyone starts somewhere. I am certainly not doing this for others. I get fit for myself.

Speaking of form : I am learning much from the videos but I still will hire a trainer for a bit until I make sure I got it. Better pricey than sorry :) Your story is awesome and good luck getting back in form. Thank you for the input.
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    Alassonde wrote: »
    I started doing bodyweight exercises over a year ago, using You Are Your Own Gym. It's a great program, but I felt I'd progressed as much as I could with it so I started with actual weights about a month ago and am loving it! I never would have thought I would enjoy it but I really do. Aside from the improvement in my physique, I love being stronger.

Yes. Quest for strength. Aesthetics are a welcome side affects. Most of all I crave to feep healthy. This is a journey towards permanent lifystle alteration. One day... one day when I love doing weights, I will come back to this thread and post the progress :)

All you guys are bloody awesome. Thank you.