Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I've used it to burn warts, moles and skin tags off of myself. I guess it helped me lose weight by removal of body parts.
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hmm...how much are you guys diluting it? A tablespoon of ACV in a cup of water tastes GREAT! I can certainly see it would be awful in much higher concentrations though.

I agree there is a whole lot of woo out there regarding ACV. I don't know enough to comment on what's true and what's woo though. All I can say is - it works great for me as a water flavoring :) Soooo much better than the juice touted as "healthy". In our house, juice is a treat and we equate it very closely to pop. Just way too much concentrated sugar.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Just take the honey, tastes great and has actual benefits.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

What actual benefits are you referring to with the honey?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Azercord wrote: »

What actual benefits are you referring to with the honey?

Keeping bee unemployment low?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I actually like the taste of it, so I use it on salads. It's my go-to vinegar of choice. I also use it as a toner for my face (diluted with water). In terms of health benefits of drinking it, I read something that said the amount you're intaking is not enough to actually consume any health benefits. If you're intent on drinking it, make sure to use a straw - the acid will erode the enamel on your teeth.

edited for typos.
  • Miss_Mabee
    Miss_Mabee Posts: 119 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    oooh I have read a lot about ACV. It has similar effects as lemon water when you drink it in the morning (alkalizing... getting your metabolism started... digestive juices flowing). Except ACV has probiotics. But only if you are buying the kind with the "mother"

It gives me indigestion though. I use it in salad dressing. Not a fan of drinking it
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I hate it when my metabolism stops.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I tried it back in my pre-science degree days. When I was a lot younger and more apt to believe stuff I read on the internet. Thought it was gross as well as ineffective both diluted in water and in tablet form. (And yeah, no amino acids unless there is some protein hiding out in the gunk at the bottom of the bottle if you buy the unfiltered kind -- surely not a significant amount at any rate.) Today I would cook with it or use it in a salad dressing if the recipe called for it but that is pretty much my limit.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I hate it when my metabolism stops.

Thank god we all have some vinegar to keep us going...
  • simplycleanfit
    simplycleanfit Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Miss_Mabee wrote: »
    oooh I have read a lot about ACV. It has similar effects as lemon water when you drink it in the morning (alkalizing... getting your metabolism started... digestive juices flowing). Except ACV has probiotics. But only if you are buying the kind with the "mother"

It gives me indigestion though. I use it in salad dressing. Not a fan of drinking it

You really shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I like it for alkalyzing my body. When you get your body in a good pH balance it can decrease the unwanted inflammation (think of joint pain, ect). Some inflammation is good such as when you get an injury but chronic inflammation is stressful on the body. As far as weight loss though I don't have much experience with it for that. I just take it for my hip and knee issues
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3195546/

This article discusses the affects of salt and potassium on our bodies, and the presence of those in our diets, but also notes that much more reseatch is needed, and that the human body does well well at managing its' pH on its own. No where it is mentioned that ACV will do this.

When you look up journals on ACV and alkalizing the body, nothing reputable comes up. Just natural news, Mercola, and other woo sites.
  • auddii
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    I like it for alkalyzing my body. When you get your body in a good pH balance it can decrease the unwanted inflammation (think of joint pain, ect). Some inflammation is good such as when you get an injury but chronic inflammation is stressful on the body. As far as weight loss though I don't have much experience with it for that. I just take it for my hip and knee issues

It is incredibly difficult to change the pH level of your body with good reason; it doesn't take much change in pH balance to kill you...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It can help with weight loss if used consistently for weeks to months. It has heart healthy benefits, amino acids and antioxidants. It can also lower blood sugar levels and lower bad cholesterol. I've also heard people say it helps with pain but not sure if there are studies to back this up.

The only thing reputable studies show is that it has some positive effect on blood glucose levels if taken before a meal...so does a glass of red wine. It is also beneficial for cramping.

Amino acids, antioxidants, etc that are provided by unfiltered NON PASTEURIZED ACV can be found in a host of other food goods. Note that if you're using the standard ACV, all of those antioxidants and aminos are filtered and pasteurized out.

There is zero credible evidence that it does anything for weight loss.

I use unfiltered ACV all the time...I do not take shots of it though...I use it in cooking and dressings and other "normal" applications.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I've never seen any reputable source endorse "alkalizing the body". I have seen MLM and woo pushers try to sell me alkalizing water to cure my Crohn's disease but it's woo since there is no cure. Why don't all these people who push woo products who claim they cure incurable diseases share their vast knowledge with the highly educated and hard working research scientists who are working their butts off trying to find cures. There's even a vegan in town who educates people on plant based diets who sent an email to all of the pharmacists in town telling them to send all their type 1 diabetics to her classes as her diet cures type 1 diabetes... Um ok
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    It can help with weight loss if used consistently for weeks to months. It has heart healthy benefits, amino acids and antioxidants. It can also lower blood sugar levels and lower bad cholesterol. I've also heard people say it helps with pain but not sure if there are studies to back this up.

The only thing reputable studies show is that it has some positive effect on blood glucose levels if taken before a meal...so does a glass of red wine.

I have noticed that with my one glass of red wine before dinner. I get my lowest before dinner BG readings those evenings.

• auddii
    Options
    I've never seen any reputable source endorse "alkalizing the body". I have seen MLM and woo pushers try to sell me alkalizing water to cure my Crohn's disease but it's woo since there is no cure. Why don't all these people who push woo products who claim they cure incurable diseases share their vast knowledge with the highly educated and hard working research scientists who are working their butts off trying to find cures. There's even a vegan in town who educates people on plant based diets who sent an email to all of the pharmacists in town telling them to send all their type 1 diabetics to her classes as her diet cures type 1 diabetes... Um ok

It's a shame that people say things like that (which is illegal in the United States), but because of the weird MLM structure, they can just pawn it off as someone not speaking as a representative of a company saying something not supported by the company.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    There's even a vegan in town who educates people on plant based diets who sent an email to all of the pharmacists in town telling them to send all their type 1 diabetics to her classes as her diet cures type 1 diabetes... Um ok

I hope someone reported her to some kind of authority. Those kinds of claims are criminal.

If people want to believe the woo and waste their money, I don't care. If people put their actual life in danger (or their children's lives) I have a problem.