Apple Cider Vinegar

Options

Replies

• singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I've never seen any reputable source endorse "alkalizing the body". I have seen MLM and woo pushers try to sell me alkalizing water to cure my Crohn's disease but it's woo since there is no cure. Why don't all these people who push woo products who claim they cure incurable diseases share their vast knowledge with the highly educated and hard working research scientists who are working their butts off trying to find cures. There's even a vegan in town who educates people on plant based diets who sent an email to all of the pharmacists in town telling them to send all their type 1 diabetics to her classes as her diet cures type 1 diabetes... Um ok

It's a shame that people say things like that (which is illegal in the United States), but because of the weird MLM structure, they can just pawn it off as someone not speaking as a representative of a company saying something not supported by the company.

I'm in Canada so idk if it is illegal
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    There's even a vegan in town who educates people on plant based diets who sent an email to all of the pharmacists in town telling them to send all their type 1 diabetics to her classes as her diet cures type 1 diabetes... Um ok

I hope someone reported her to some kind of authority. Those kinds of claims are criminal.

If people want to believe the woo and waste their money, I don't care. If people put their actual life in danger (or their children's lives) I have a problem.

The email has been shared with other medical professionals
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Her huge mistake was sending it to pharmacists. #1 most know better and #2 they have tons of doctor connections
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Her huge mistake was sending it to pharmacists. #1 most know better and #2 they have tons of doctor connections
  • frantzcr
    frantzcr Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    frantzcr wrote: »
    I like it for alkalyzing my body. When you get your body in a good pH balance it can decrease the unwanted inflammation (think of joint pain, ect). Some inflammation is good such as when you get an injury but chronic inflammation is stressful on the body. As far as weight loss though I don't have much experience with it for that. I just take it for my hip and knee issues

It is incredibly difficult to change the pH level of your body with good reason; it doesn't take much change in pH balance to kill you...

You don't want to change your blood pH, in that fact you are right. Most benefit from alkalyzing the guts pH. Stomach needs to be acidic but majority of intestines need to be alkaline
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I like it for alkalyzing my body. When you get your body in a good pH balance it can decrease the unwanted inflammation (think of joint pain, ect). Some inflammation is good such as when you get an injury but chronic inflammation is stressful on the body. As far as weight loss though I don't have much experience with it for that. I just take it for my hip and knee issues

It is incredibly difficult to change the pH level of your body with good reason; it doesn't take much change in pH balance to kill you...

You don't want to change your blood pH, in that fact you are right. Most benefit from alkalyzing the guts pH. Stomach needs to be acidic but majority of intestines need to be alkaline

But the point is you can't change either by ingesting different types of food.

And even if you could, there's no need to because your body does it for you.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Ok I drink it daily for water retention it's a mild diuretic and don't take any medications anymore, my grand father and father in law use it for gout and both were able to come off medication, I use it on the farm in water for our chickens during molting season to help prevent bacterial infections, and our goats also drink it as they sometimes suffer from bladder stones.
    There is lots of anecdotal stories of it helping with gout, stones etc can't say I've ever looked for hard studies on the subject but I've seen plenty of success with it.
    I use the one with 'the mother' and honey a tablespoon in a glass of water and I actually enjoy it. For our animals we get a different one in bulk but not for human consumption.
    I can't say it's helped with weight loss that's all from hard work, the alkilize/alkaline thing is a load of rubbish.
  • Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Eating local honey helps with allergies.
  • frantzcr
    Options

What you put in is what you'll get out. It is important for us to give our bodies the tools it needs, it can't do what it's supposed to with the toxins many of us eat. My personal testimonial is that ACV has helped me and if someone wants to try it they should go for it.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

What you put in is what you'll get out. It is important for us to give our bodies the tools it needs, it can't do what it's supposed to with the toxins many of us eat. My personal testimonial is that ACV has helped me and if someone wants to try it they should go for it.

Can you name a few of the specific "toxins" that "many of us eat"? I don't mean the usual generalized woo like "processed foods", I mean specific toxins. Also, do you have any peer-reviewed studies showing how ACV rids us of "toxins" or "alkalyzes" your body? All I've ever seen is blog posts and advertising hype, never seen anybody post some real, actual science proving these things. It's my contention that no such science exists because it's all woo, but if somebody can prove otherwise I'm all ears.....
  • singingflutelady
    Options

What "toxins" are in our bodies that our kidneys, liver and colon can't get rid of if they are functioning properly?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

What "toxins" are in our bodies that our kidneys, liver and colon can't get rid of if they are functioning properly?

Not only that, but what is the mechanism for apple cider vinegar assisting with getting rid of toxins? This must be some process that was never covered in biochemistry.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

One time I deadlifted with a hangover and pulled a PR. So, maybe toxins provide our body with the tools that it needs to succeed. This is just my testimonial though....
  • frantzcr
    Options
    There was a good study at Demirel University on ACV and how it effects oxidative injury in the liver and kidneys. It was by Naziroglu in The Journal of Membrane Biology and is fairly recent
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

One time I deadlifted with a hangover and pulled a PR. So, maybe toxins provide our body with the tools that it needs to succeed. This is just my testimonial though....

One time my friend ran with a camelbag full of vodka... didn't turn out so well... mileage must vary. :trollface:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

One time my friend ran with a camelbag full of vodka... didn't turn out so well... mileage must vary. :trollface:

was it organic?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options

was it organic?

Doubtful. Knowing him, usually the cheapest swill he could find.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    I don't have any kidney or liver injuries so I am fine
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Isn't Naziroglu a character from Lord of the Rings? I wouldn't be taking dietary advice from a ringwraith, but that's just me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    There was a good study at Demirel University on ACV and how it effects oxidative injury in the liver and kidneys. It was by Naziroglu in The Journal of Membrane Biology and is fairly recent

That's because it does contain antioxidants...so do many other foods, including red wine, colorful fruits and berries, vegetables, etc...that's not really detoxing though...