Scale shows low numbers only if clean eating.

Options
I have notice that if I decide to add any processed food to my diet, next day, that scale will show. I am on a 1220 daily calorie, and yesterday decided to add a few whole wheat pita chips, within my daily calories. Jesus, today that scale went up .6 lb. So frustrating :s

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    It's called water weight. If you eat low-sodium or low-carb you will see faster "weight loss" due to decreased water retention. Then when you eat carbs or have a higher sodium day you may retain water. Anything can cause your body to hold water weight, especially as a woman. During ovulation, I "gain" three pounds, then lose it by the next week. I eat "processed" food and somehow managed to go from 139 to 113 pounds. Clean eating has nothing to do with weight loss and is not necessary for weight loss. Your body doesn't magically adhere better to food because it's "clean", non-GMO, organic, or anything of that nature.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water.
    Your weight could fluctuate several pounds one day to the next depending on how much water you're retaining.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    0.6lbs? So not even 300 grams of increase? That's like, 1 poop or 1.5 glasses of water, a full bladder or natural fluctuations due to periods/hormones. Relax and look at the trendline, not each day's data.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    When a .6 pound fluctuation causes grief it is time to get a better understanding of how the body really works.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    When a .6 pound fluctuation causes grief it is time to get a better understanding of how the body really works.

truth

water weight
    sodium
    carb
    fluctuations

my weight is down 1.8lbs today, yesterday was up 1.6lb, day before down 1.4lbs on day before
    - I'm in maintenance

stop sweating the small stuff

get on a trendapp like Libra or Happy Scale or site like trendweight.com
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    You're retaining water.
    Your weight could fluctuate several pounds one day to the next depending on how much water you're retaining.

this …

you can eat in a deficit of 500 clean calories and a deficit of 500 "dirty" calories and you will lose the exact same amount of weight …

I would suggest you stop weighing every day and weigh in either once a week, or three times and take an average ...
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    whole wheat pita chips are dirty food?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Yes, because bagged
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Some people call anything with preservatives or too many ingredients "dirty". It helps them stay away from processed foods I guess. Many long threads about clean and dirty foods here if you want to search around.
  • Schila64
    Options
    I didn't say they are dirty food, I said they are processed food. :)

• angelamichelle_xo
    angelamichelle_xo Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    :s
  • Schila64
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes, because bagged

Is kind of hard to eat chips when you are on this journey. When you open a bag of chips that last thing on your mind if to get a scale and weight either one portion or half portion, which is what I did. I weighted only 1/2 a portion. I remember when I was not logging my food and just eating I could eat the whole bag. :p

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    I didn't say they are dirty food, I said they are processed food. :)

Processing -- by itself -- isn't going to make a food contribute to temporary water weight gain. You may find that certain types of foods (for example, chips or other salted items) make you temporarily retain water and lead to a small gain on the scale. But focusing on this is a pretty good way to go crazy and it's irrelevant to lasting weight loss.

If you want a serving of pita chips, just have them and log the calories. .6 of a pound isn't worth stressing over.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I agree that the scale is one tool, and not the most accurate, in the process of becoming healthy and losing weight. i weigh myself once a month because the number on the scale STILL holds too much power over me (even after 10+ years of being on the losing weight roller coaster). .6 is NOTHING to fret over.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Yes, because bagged

Is kind of hard to eat chips when you are on this journey. When you open a bag of chips that last thing on your mind if to get a scale and weight either one portion or half portion, which is what I did. I weighted only 1/2 a portion. I remember when I was not logging my food and just eating I could eat the whole bag. :p

Check out my food diary. Mind blown!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    We have all eaten the half of bag or even the whole bag.

Look pita chips, regular chips, cookies, graham crackers (yummy), and many other boxed foods will contain sodium you don't need or additional things to preserve shelf life. Canned foods and frozen foods alike.

Like the post above, .6 pounds is 300 grams and just drink some water, this will start to flush out the excess you are retaining.

Drink more water to not retain water. Yep this is fact! I can gain upwards to 6 pounds eating too many carbs and top that with salt, double wammy. I drink more over the next couple of days and it takes care of it self.
  • Schila64
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Check out my food diary. Mind blown![/quote]

LOL, I see you don't snack at all :|

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Check out my food diary. Mind blown!

LOL, I see you don't snack at all :|

[/quote]

Nope, in fact, I do not but my diary is full of processed foods. I do snack on the weekend. I try to make my meals last me until the next meal. Nothing wrong with being a little peckish before your next meal.
  • Schila64
    Options
    gia07 wrote: »
    We have all eaten the half of bag or even the whole bag.

Look pita chips, regular chips, cookies, graham crackers (yummy), and many other boxed foods will contain sodium you don't need or additional things to preserve shelf life. Canned foods and frozen foods alike.

Like the post above, .6 pounds is 300 grams and just drink some water, this will start to flush out the excess you are retaining.

Drink more water to not retain water. Yep this is fact! I can gain upwards to 6 pounds eating too many carbs and top that with salt, double wammy. I drink more over the next couple of days and it takes care of it self.

Oh yeah. I know all those bagged / canned food contains LOTS of sodium. Will never forget on a business trip I had to buy a canned soup (first time) and eat at hotel room that night. Next day, my rings didn't fit. :s