Has anyone used protein shakes to loose weight?

Options

Replies

• dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've used protein drinks like Boost as supplement sometimes. They're also really handy for when I'm sick or have dental work. I honestly wouldn't suggest any kind of shake as a meal replacement except every now and then. They can be very useful for supplements if you're not getting enough of something, and protein shakes are good supplements when you're weight lifting, but you'll be missing out some things, like fiber, if you replace regular meals with it.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I've tried quite a few protein shakes as I thought the same as others - it'd be a good convenient breakfast or something. I haven't tasted one that I'd like to drink again. They are all nasty. So, no, I stray away from them and eat real food that I can actually enjoy. They are also quite expensive.
  • bionicrooster
    bionicrooster Posts: 353 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    erinc5 wrote: »
    I've tried quite a few protein shakes as I thought the same as others - it'd be a good convenient breakfast or something. I haven't tasted one that I'd like to drink again. They are all nasty. So, no, I stray away from them and eat real food that I can actually enjoy. They are also quite expensive.

The only ones I have found that I liked are GNC lean shakes, and they are actually cheaper than if I bought something healthy. And I am pretty sure they are "real food".... although if they aren't real, that would explain how they help in weight loss :-)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    anisxoxo wrote: »
    any one has used protein shakes as a meal replacement to loose weight? Did It work?

A protein shake is a protein supplement. This is not the same thing as a meal replacement shake. Meals have fat, fiber, carbs, micronutrients.....so much is missing from a protein supplement.

If you like to drink your calories, if you don't want to be bothered with measuring portions....then a meal replacement shake can help you with a calorie deficit. You will lose weight because you are in a deficit.

The problem with a short cut is you don't learn anything about the food you actually eat. Measuring & logging portions gives you tools for maintenance. You learn what needs to be changed to keep the weight off.
  • dubird
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    any one has used protein shakes as a meal replacement to loose weight? Did It work?

A protein shake is a protein supplement. This is not the same thing as a meal replacement shake. Meals have fat, fiber, carbs, micronutrients.....so much is missing from a protein supplement.

If you like to drink your calories, if you don't want to be bothered with measuring portions....then a meal replacement shake can help you with a calorie deficit. You will lose weight because you are in a deficit.

The problem with a short cut is you don't learn anything about the food you actually eat. Measuring & logging portions gives you tools for maintenance. You learn what needs to be changed to keep the weight off.

#TRUTH
  • bionicrooster
    Options

So if I eat a grilled chicken breast for lunch its not a meal because it doesn't contain fiber and carbs?? A shake can certainly be a meal replacement. I think we all agree if it becomes a meal replacement too often it could cause bad habits long term.. as far as "if you don't want to be bothered with measuring portions", some of us have very busy lives that makes it difficult to have every meal measured out, especially when trying to grab a quick lunch at work. A shake works fine in that scenario.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    And I am pretty sure they are "real food".... although if they aren't real, that would explain how they help in weight loss :-)

Yes, haha. They are "real" food. I just was saying, I personally don't enjoy them - I would rather have some chicken and hard boiled eggs or something like that. No hate on others who enjoy protein shakes! I know many people who love them. Just not for me. Even if they were 0 calories, I would still not partake.
  • bionicrooster
    Options
    And I am pretty sure they are "real food".... although if they aren't real, that would explain how they help in weight loss :-)

Yes, haha. They are "real" food. I just was saying, I personally don't enjoy them - I would rather have some chicken and hard boiled eggs or something like that. No hate on others who enjoy protein shakes! I know many people who love them. Just not for me. Even if they were 0 calories, I would still not partake.

I know I was just messing with you. I 100% agree when I can I would rather have a hunk of meat (or beans) for my protein :-)
  • bionicrooster
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

#TRUTH

I am curios about this part I guess: "The problem with a short cut is you don't learn anything about the food you actually eat. Measuring & logging portions gives you tools for maintenance. You learn what needs to be changed to keep the weight off.[/quote]"

Why can't you use shakes AND learn how to measure and log foods better??? It worked for me, I must have been very lucky :wink:
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I know I was just messing with you. I 100% agree when I can I would rather have a hunk of meat (or beans) for my protein :-)

I used to go with cottage cheese but switched back to powder because it's a lot cheaper so there is that aspect.
  • bionicrooster
    Options
    [/quote]

I used to go with cottage cheese but switched back to powder because it's a lot cheaper so there is that aspect.[/quote]

yeah i often wonder what people are eating for a high protein meal when they say a shake is too expensive! I think the GNC lean shakes are under $2 when bought by the bottle and even cheaper when bought in powder form.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options

I used to go with cottage cheese but switched back to powder because it's a lot cheaper so there is that aspect.[/quote]

yeah i often wonder what people are eating for a high protein meal when they say a shake is too expensive! I think the GNC lean shakes are under $2 when bought by the bottle and even cheaper when bought in powder form.[/quote]

Usually some MLM crap: shakeology, advocare, body by vi, etc.
  • bionicrooster
    Options
    _dracarys_ wrote: »
    Usually some MLM crap: shakeology, advocare, body by vi, etc.

yep you are probably right about that.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I eat at or less than my calorie macro to lose weight (and exercise too) but I use UMP protein shake for my afternoon snack at work, because it keeps me feeling really full and satisfied until dinner, is easy, and I think it tastes great. I mix vanilla UMP with 1 cup unsweetened almond or cashew milk, throw in 8 or so frozen (unsweetened) strawberries, and blend it up. Or I mix it with coffee and almond milk and a few ice cubes. Some days though I eat regular food for snack like chicken or boiled eggs, almonds and apples. Just mix it up and stick to my calorie/macros.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    I'd rather skip dinner and have an IPA or stout. Honestly I get enough protein from food I don't need a shake. Eat real food in my opinion
  • sugom2
    sugom2 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I tried everything, but until I started using shakeology, I did not start loosing the weight. I have lost 20 pounds since October and have never felt better. I am not hungry, nor do I get the "shakes" or feel like I am on speed.
  • dubird
    Options
    dubird wrote: »

#TRUTH

I am curios about this part I guess: "The problem with a short cut is you don't learn anything about the food you actually eat. Measuring & logging portions gives you tools for maintenance. You learn what needs to be changed to keep the weight off.
    "

Why can't you use shakes AND learn how to measure and log foods better??? It worked for me, I must have been very lucky :wink: [/quote]

Nothing saying you can't, but if you only depend on meal replacement shakes and not also take the time to learn better eating habits, what good does that do? Yeah, you'll lose weight, but when you get to your goal, you go back to eating like what you consider normal and the weight comes back. (saying 'you' as general, not you specifically) So many people see shakes/smoothies as quick weight loss tool without realizing they need to change the habits that made them need to lose weight. Even if you tell them they need to change their eating habits AS WELL AS use the shakes/smoothies, most of the time the first part is ignored because it's not a quick fix. The people that don't ignore that and actually work to fix their eating habits are the ones that succeed long term. And if you're doing that but also find a shake/smoothie works as a meal replacement for some meals, then more power to you. ^_^
  • harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can use anything to lose weight. Pizza and wings is a popular choice. So perhaps try that out?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

I add carbs, fat, and fiber to my protein shakes and these do help me lose weight as they are very filling, allowing me to skip a meal or a snack.

4wpjlcokdt19.jpg
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    I had a Jack Daniels Delmonico last night...gonna see how that works.