Who eats over 1500 and manages to lose ?

Replies

• CalorieCountChocula
    CalorieCountChocula Posts: 239 Member
    MFP is the land of food braggers. Everyone is eating. I don't know how but they're doing it. I've been poking around the reddit loseit forums asking similar questions I ask here. How many calories guys my size eat, etc. The answers here seem high. Here you get guys swearing they lose weight eating 2500-3000 calories. Women eating more than me losing weight (I'm a 230lbs male and lose nothing at 1800 calories). There you get more honest answers. Guys saying they started out higher but when they hit walls they had to dip way down. Some eating 1500 calories a day. Whatever answer you hear take it with a hugggggge grain of salt. You're probably talking to people who either a) have mutant metabolisms or b) do more cardio than they really are admitting.

Not bitter much..............I mean, feel free to look at my diary and install CCTV in my kitchen. Why would I lie about what I eat!?

Well, people *never* lie on reddit. So we know there is lying going on here.

Meh, I dunno. I just noticed it wasn't as geared towards food bragging. It's a badge of honor here. It's very skewed and I think it paints a one sided picture. It was just interesting to hear a group of men my height who were my weight say honestly "yeah, I could eat more at first but then I had to go much much lower" basically. You never hear that here. "TDEE-20%. Never go below your BMR. Etc." I'm already eating below my BMR and the scale isn't moving.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    1850 when cutting; 2300 when maintaining; 2700 when bulking
  • MFP is the land of food braggers. Everyone is eating. I don't know how but they're doing it. I've been poking around the reddit loseit forums asking similar questions I ask here. How many calories guys my size eat, etc. The answers here seem high. Here you get guys swearing they lose weight eating 2500-3000 calories. Women eating more than me losing weight (I'm a 230lbs male and lose nothing at 1800 calories). There you get more honest answers. Guys saying they started out higher but when they hit walls they had to dip way down. Some eating 1500 calories a day. Whatever answer you hear take it with a hugggggge grain of salt. You're probably talking to people who either a) have mutant metabolisms or b) do more cardio than they really are admitting.

Not bitter much..............I mean, feel free to look at my diary and install CCTV in my kitchen. Why would I lie about what I eat!?

Meh, I dunno. I just noticed it wasn't as geared towards food bragging. It's a badge of honor here. It's very skewed and I think it paints a one sided picture. It was just interesting to hear a group of men my height who were my weight say honestly "yeah, I could eat more at first but then I had to go much much lower" basically. You never hear that here. "TDEE-20%. Never go below your BMR. Etc." I'm already eating below my BMR and the scale isn't moving.

I think that people here that you may perceive as "food braggarts" are vehement in support of eating more because there is so much of the opposite on MFP forums. When I first started on MFP back in 2011 I thought I HAD to eat at 1200 and do hours of cardio in order to lose weight, and it's only thanks to people "food bragging" that I learned that I can lose weight and not deprive myself to that extent.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    MFP is the land of food braggers. Everyone is eating. I don't know how but they're doing it. I've been poking around the reddit loseit forums asking similar questions I ask here. How many calories guys my size eat, etc. The answers here seem high. Here you get guys swearing they lose weight eating 2500-3000 calories. Women eating more than me losing weight (I'm a 230lbs male and lose nothing at 1800 calories). There you get more honest answers. Guys saying they started out higher but when they hit walls they had to dip way down. Some eating 1500 calories a day. Whatever answer you hear take it with a hugggggge grain of salt. You're probably talking to people who either a) have mutant metabolisms or b) do more cardio than they really are admitting.

If you checked out the r/fitness forums on reddit you would notice that the men there eat 1500 calories or more even when they're cutting. Here's a few examples:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/42nydi/m_2057160lbs_just_started_cutting_after_a/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/42kpl1/couple_of_questions_about_creatine_cutting/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/42gw5q/63_195lb_entering_cutting_phase_help_on_exactly/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/comments/41r6n7/adding_to_calorie_allowance_while_working_out/

But these guys exercise, I'm not sure if you do or not.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member

My first question would be "Are you using a food scale and weighing and logging everything you eat?"

If no, then start there.

I am a 5'9, 179.8 (as of this morning) lb, 40 year old woman, and I am losing at 1930 calories per day.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    1850 when cutting; 2300 when maintaining; 2700 when bulking

Yeah based off this the pounds should be falling off me. I'm roughly 60lbs more than you.
  • strong_curves

Hell yeah it's a badge of honor! I like not starving myself in order to lose weight. I feel bad for the people I know who are existing on lettuce and still haven't lost half the weight I've lost!!!
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member

You'll notice that in my response I said "with exercise" I'm able to lose at that amount. I do lots of cardio entirely so that I can eat more than I would be able to otherwise (well also it makes me feel awesome). I don't see how it's 'bragging,' I just like to eat, so I do what I need to do to eat what I want. Without exercise I'd be stuck on 1300 calories/day or less to lose and that's just not sustainable for me.

I'm working darn hard for my chocolate!
  • CalorieCountChocula

Hell yeah it's a badge of honor! I like not starving myself in order to lose weight. I feel bad for the people I know who are existing on lettuce and still haven't lost half the weight I've lost!!!

So is there a logical explanation on why they're unable to lose weight eating like you?
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2016
    In 2012 I lost 27 lbs on 1700 calories a day. Currently I'm netting 1400 - 1500 calories a day.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member

I think what you interpret as "bragging" is people just trying to disrupt the perception that you have to cut calories to a very low level to lose weight (or maintain weight loss). When you see post after post from people who think they can never have pizza (or chocolate or whatever) or that they must be under 1,200 to lose weight . . . it can be useful to share personal experiences.

I'm sorry that isn't your experience. But for me it was relevatory to realize that I could lose weight (and maintain the loss) while still eating things that I enjoyed.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    I think it is appropriate for people to consider eating well and still losing to be a badge of honour. One difference might be that many people here with 25lbs or less to lose recognize that they should aim for .5lbs a week or even less. Me among them. MFP might give those same people a daily calorie goal of 1200 if they had a 2lbs/week target, as it did me.
  • strong_curves

So is there a logical explanation on why they're unable to lose weight eating like you?

Yes, there is. They probably eat way more when they're at home, they're inconsistent, they don't track their intake, they think eating salad and doing the elliptical for hours is enough, after doing the elliptical they decide to "treat" themselves to a snack because the elliptical said they burned 900 calories, but it's mostly they aren't accurately tracking HOW much they're eating.
  • CalorieCountChocula
    edited January 2016

Yes, there is. They probably eat way more when they're at home, they're inconsistent, they don't track their intake, they think eating salad and doing the elliptical for hours is enough, after doing the elliptical they decide to "treat" themselves to a snack because the elliptical said they burned 900 calories, but it's mostly they aren't accurately tracking HOW much they're eating.

What about when that's not the case? My diet is bare bones as it is. I'm not secretly or accidently eating a whole pizza at night that I'm forgetting to log. I barely eat out anymore because it's been drilled into my head how inaccurate I am even though I weight 95% of what I eat (again, seriously, who kind of nut thinks of a few calories worth of yogurt amounts to anything???). When I do eat out it's boring. Salmon. Yawn. Veggies. Yawn.

EDIT: there are literally 6 things on my diary today so far, 2 of which are planned items I haven't even eaten LOL. It does not get any more paired down than that. I guess I could just start having 1 item meals twice a day to eliminate any possible room for error.
  • janejellyroll

What about when that's not the case? My diet is bare bones as it is. I'm not secretly or accidently eating a whole pizza at night that I'm forgetting to log. I barely eat out anymore because it's been drilled into my head how inaccurate I am even though I weight 95% of what I eat (again, seriously, who kind of nut thinks of a few calories worth of yogurt amounts to anything???). When I do eat out it's boring. Salmon. Yawn. Veggies. Yawn.

When people who have been successful at something at which I'm struggling suggest something, I usually try it before concluding they're a "nut."

I have no idea if not weighing certain food items is keeping you from meeting your goals. I do know that when I began weighing food, I finally stopped the cycle of losing and regaining the same 5 pounds. If that is "nutty" behavior, okay. I'm fine with that.
  • CalorieCountChocula

When people who have been successful at something at which I'm struggling suggest something, I usually try it before concluding they're a "nut."

I have no idea if not weighing certain food items is keeping you from meeting your goals. I do know that when I began weighing food, I finally stopped the cycle of losing and regaining the same 5 pounds. If that is "nutty" behavior, okay. I'm fine with that.

I know that's the default fall back here. People look at someone diary. Conclude "oh, it says one yogurt not 43g of yogurt so that's the reason." It doesn't matter if that's the only packaged item the person eats that day, or week even, it will be the default fall back reason. That person isn't weighing or measuring.
  • janejellyroll

I know that's the default fall back here. People look at someone diary. Conclude "oh, it says one yogurt not 43g of yogurt so that's the reason." It doesn't matter if that's the only packaged item the person eats that day, or week even, it will be the default fall back reason. That person isn't weighing or measuring.

I'm not sure what this has to do with saying people are "nuts" for suggesting that variance in the stated weight and actual weight of a food could make a difference for some people's results.

• erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    edited January 2016

Look back at your diary for the past month (since Jan 1). You've been over your goal quite a few times, and there are a few days in there where you obviously didn't log all you ate, especially within the past 2 weeks. Jan 15, Jan 16, Jan 17, Jan 18, Jan 20, Jan 22, Jan 26. All these days you either didn't log accurately (or at all) or you were over. That seems like a huge roadblock to weightloss to me. Nobody is getting on you about not weighing a prepackaged yogurt. Not logging on a weekend, though, implies you weren't watching anything you were eating.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member

205 pounds; BMR 1900. How or what did you measure your BMR with? Did you use Harris-Benedict?

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    I lose eating around 1900-2100 calories. I do a LOT of cardio because I like to eat food. And sometimes I still struggle to eat within my goal and then I don't lose weight. :\