Cut out zero calorie soda/drinks?

Options
Hi there -

I know that cutting out regular soda is a great way to lose weight, but does anyone know if the diet sodas like Coke Zero have any impact on weight loss? I know it has zero calories, but it is also filled with chemical crap. Even knowing this, I am so addicted - I can easily go through 2-3 cans a day. What are your thoughts? Thanks!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie drinks, in and of themselves, have no effect on weight loss.

Indirectly - maybe (for example, if you find yourself eating something every time you have one)
  • BoaRestrictor
    BoaRestrictor Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I try to keep it between 1-2 cans of coke zero. It has no adverse effects on weight loss. 2-3 cans is very moderate compared to what some people drink, you're fine. If you really want to cut it for chemicals then look into unsweetened teas.
  • HutchA12
    HutchA12 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I drink 0 cal drinks couple times a week. Doesn't affect weightloss. I personally also get no extra cravings the carbonation makes me feel full.
  • allison4224
    allison4224 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would recommend going without diet soda for a week or 2. And, see for yourself, if there's any difference in how you feel, or in your weight loss.
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love my diet coke too much to give it up...but since I'm not eating out as much (and won't buy cans) I only get it maybe twice a week now..which I feel pretty good about
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I cut them out entirely almost 10 years ago. I had a medical condition that made me sodium sensitive, and while drinking one soda doesn't have that much sodium, drinking several, or a two liter bottle does have a bit of sodium. I cut them out entirely because of the chemical stew. Personal choice, but I don't miss them at all. That took a while.
  • trishfit2014
    trishfit2014 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I went from at least 5 cans of diet coke a day to zero last fall. I did not lose weight if anything gained a little as I missed the sweet taste so ate something sweet. I could not moderate with diet coke (ie one a day). I am staying off of them as the amount I was drinking is not healthy.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep! In fact studies now show you gain even MORE drinking diet soda. Stick with water or tea.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    No reason to cut them out of your diet unless it's for personal preference. Zero calories doesn't contribute to weight gain and contrary to popular belief, the sodium content is pretty low. I normally drink at least one a day, sometimes more, and have for many years.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I haven't delved into this study, so FWIW:

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-start-the-first-30-days-of-your-weight-loss-journey/

..2. Cut out soda.

It’s no secret that soda isn’t a great drink option if you’re looking to adopt healthier habits. Studies have long demonstrated a significant link between sugary drinks and weight gain. In fact, recent research discovered that even diet soda leads to weight gain, particularly abdominal fat. To be sure, the recent San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging found that over the long term, people who drank two or more diet sodas a day had their waist circumferences increase a whopping 500% more than those who didn’t drink diet soda.

Long story short: Consuming soda and other sugary drinks in any form has the potential to sabotage your weight-loss goals. Reducing or eliminating it from your diet has the potential to impact your weight significantly.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-start-the-first-30-days-of-your-weight-loss-journey/

..2. Cut out soda.

It’s no secret that soda isn’t a great drink option if you’re looking to adopt healthier habits. Studies have long demonstrated a significant link between sugary drinks and weight gain. In fact, recent research discovered that even diet soda leads to weight gain, particularly abdominal fat. To be sure, the recent San Antonio Longitudinal Study of Aging found that over the long term, people who drank two or more diet sodas a day had their waist circumferences increase a whopping 500% more than those who didn’t drink diet soda.

Long story short: Consuming soda and other sugary drinks in any form has the potential to sabotage your weight-loss goals. Reducing or eliminating it from your diet has the potential to impact your weight significantly.

Study shows correlation...not causation.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

..2. Cut out soda.

Beat me to it. "We saw fat people drinking diet soda, therefore diet soda makes you fat". I see fat people in the gym, therefore going to the gym must make you fat.
  • juggernaut1974
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

..2. Cut out soda.

Beat me to it. "We saw fat people drinking diet soda, therefore diet soda makes you fat". I see fat people in the gym, therefore going to the gym must make you fat.

When I see lots of people carrying umbrellas, it tends to rain more often. Ergo, carrying umbrellas causes rain.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Nachise wrote: »
    I cut them out entirely almost 10 years ago. I had a medical condition that made me sodium sensitive, and while drinking one soda doesn't have that much sodium, drinking several, or a two liter bottle does have a bit of sodium. I cut them out entirely because of the chemical stew. Personal choice, but I don't miss them at all. That took a while.

A two liter bottle of diet coke has around 240 mg of sodium, or about as much as half a bagel, one bowl of cereal or two slices of bread. Most people don't drink anywhere near that amount.
  • erinc5
    erinc5 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I drink probably 1 or 2 coke zeros per day. They are 0 calories, so I don't even log them. I get them free at work, otherwise I'd probably not drink as much just due to $$.Doesn't seem to affect me negatively at all. I've found they help me control sweet cravings - I have them instead of a candy bar. I also mix them with rum or whiskey and I still lose weight.

If I were you, I'd only cut them out if for some other reason they made you feel bad (sensitivity to caffeine or artificial sweeteners) or if you just wanted to for whatever other personal reason. If I were ever in a plateau, diet soda would be the last thing I would look to cut out (hello, 0 calories). I'd double check my calorie goal is correct, double check I was measuring everything with calories correctly, double check I'm not overestimating exercise, etc... Diet coke is not the culprit to slowing weight loss.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

..2. Cut out soda.

When I see lots of people carrying umbrellas, it tends to rain more often. Ergo, carrying umbrellas causes rain.

Exactly. I feel like people who struggle to maintain weight are more likely to go 0 cal, while people with no weight issues just drink regular. So it seems like diet drinks make you fat and sugary drinks make you skinny! Quick, someone tell Dr Oz!

Some say it makes you crave sugar. Losing weight is all about experimentation. If you find you crave sugar, maybe try cutting out diet soda for a couple weeks to see if it helps. But the drinks themselves are not going to cause weight gain or retention.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Tap water is full of chemicals. Tea is REALLY full of chemicals; you don't think that lovely color comes out of air? Which is full of chemicals, too. So is whatever you just ate for dinner.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Everyone who gets cancer has drunk water in their lives. I guess water causes cancer?
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope, doesn't make a difference for weight loss!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why?