Exercise injury, how to deal?

Options
At my Ultimate Frisbee game last night I came down on my leg wrong and injured my knee badly. Nothing's broken or floating around where it shouldn't be but I'll be on crutches for the next couple of weeks and on very reduced activity after that.

I'm a fairly active person who's been fortunate to avoid any serious injury before this point and I am not happy to be stuck in bed and hobbling around. I also have two small children with all of the activity that goes on with them (I think I'd enjoy the 'being in bed' thing more if my husband wasn't having to take time off of work to look after them, I feel so bad about that). Having watched my sister go through knee surgery after neglecting a similar injury I have no plans to push myself but looking at an unknown number of weeks and months of reduced activity is making me very unhappy. I miss Ultimate already!

So, how do you deal when you get injured and have to be out of commission for a while? I'm planning on eating at maintenance for the next while and taking it as easy as I can but argh!

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Linzon wrote: »
    So, how do you deal when you get injured and have to be out of commission for a while? I'm planning on eating at maintenance for the next while and taking it as easy as I can but argh!

^ That.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Take up Chess. ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Yeah... take it easy and eat less (obviously remember that with less activity your maintenance is going to be lower too). Totally sucks though.
  • DrifterBear
    DrifterBear Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    ya it sucks! Physiologically, you have to just eat less, but it's the psychological loss that hurts the most. Good luck!
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I just spent 16 weeks in a cast after breaking my wrist. I had to give up all of my regular physical activities. Yep, it sucks. In my case, I was still able to do cardio (probably not an easy option for you) and I also decided to focus on flexibility. And I read a lot. Now I am in a brace, but my ROM for that hand is still very limited and all my strength is gone. I think I'm going to learn to paint. :)

Good luck!
  • muccica07
    muccica07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are on top of your nutrition and slowly ease back into it when you are cleared too. Its certainly not fun, but its a lot less fun to make the injury worse and be out for longer
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    You just have to do the best that you can and get to the other side.

Are you working with a physical therapist? If that is an option for you, take advantage of it. A PT could help you with recovery as well as with modified exercises that will work with your injury.

Could you swim, using your arms only? Does your gym have one of those upper-body bike machines (the name escapes me)? Could a rowing machine work with some adaptation?
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    I had knee surgery in August and was on crutches and out of commission for 7 weeks. I tried to eat at maintenance but it was difficult to prepare dinner on non-weight baring crutches and had to rely on other people to cook and grocery shop for me. Needless to say, after losing 65 pounds I gained almost 20 back :(
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I did make sure to lower my activity to 'sedentary' as well as setting it to maintenance, which is about 200 calories less than I normally eat when active and losing weight, blegh.

Sadly I don't have a gym membership but I have an appointment with my doctor and am going to make sure to get in with a physical therapist so I can get fixed up right. I've been meaning to get one though, so in a few weeks maybe it'll finally be time...

Also note to self: stop watching cooking shows while on reduced calories.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I had a back injury that caused me to be completely inactive for about five months. The worst of the problem was missing the mood enhancing benefits of exercise. It's kind of a bizarre suggestion but I just got a "HappyLight" that feels like it's helping my mood during the dark days of winter.

I have also had less limiting injuries where I just did what I could: strength train the parts of my body that could handle it (you could have a killer upper body after this!), row, cycle and swim.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    It took me about n9 months to recover fully from a torn meniscus. No Surgery needed. i was off the mat (no aikido) for about 6 weeks and then very limited exercise for a few more months. You just have to be patient and use good judgement. The time passes faster than you think it will.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I HATED that I couldn't run when my ankle was messed up, and as a result I went through this very stupid on again off again habit where I'd try to use it too soon and end up messing it up again and waiting. It's frustrating, I'm with you there, but try to think about how much exercise you'll miss out on if you do what I did versus the very small amount you'll lose while it's healing properly. It's a clear choice, it just sucks to have to make it.
  • Linzon
    Linzon Posts: 294 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Well, I had my first knee surgery on Friday (torn meniscus) and have another one coming up in a month (ACL reconstruction). Surgeon says no sports for a year and I am totally devastated. I'm also definitely feeling the mood-related effects of no exercise as I used to get in a good hour or so a day on the treadmill. Ugh.
  • huckleberryrpalmer
    Options
    I have an apparently permanent knee injury - can't get away with running last two years. I try to walk instead, but I've gained @ 25 pounds. Haven't really had a support group, though - I think that will help.