You're not "special"

Options

Replies

• Stargrace2
    Stargrace2 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you for reminding people about this.

I've lost 25 pounds since March 18th. I eat healthy (1400-1500 calories on non exercise days, almost 1800-1900 on exercise days) and I don't deny myself food as long as it fits in my calorie intake for the day. I don't exercise nearly as much as I should yet, I'm hoping to move from obese to just overweight and then I`ll add on more exercise. In the meantime I'm still losing every single week.

I had to learn a lot of stuff in order to get to this point where I feel like I'm losing in a healthy sustainable manner. I needed a food scale. I needed to know exactly how many calories I actually burn through a day (I bought a fitbit to help with this since there is no real exact method). I had to STOP guessing at how many calories I was burning and consuming. When I first started there were days I was eating 1100 1200 calories, and I lost for a while then it completely stopped. I re-assessed everything and tried again. Going much better now.

It is simple, but you can't guestimate.
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Yes I am D:<
    One of my cousins tried pulling off losing weight on body by Vi and kept trying to get me to try it. The first week she was soooo happy that she lost 8 pounds, since that week, she has not posted anymore updates on weightloss and how into she was anymore. :s
  • zornig
    zornig Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Genuine question: is there really no distinction of types of calories in? I basically agree with your stance, but I've noticed in my own regimen that the more (non-vegetable derived) carb I eat, the harder it is for me to lose weight. So even holding total calories in constant, I lose faster when I eat more protein/fat and less carb. To the point where I can lose faster even when I eat a few more calories this way, than lower calories with higher carbs. I'm still in a deficit overall either way. So yeah, I guess I just wonder if calorie deficit is a necessary but not sufficient condition, at least for some of us. And then, does that make us special?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    churchlady_zps01327ef6.gif
  • mygrl4meee
    mygrl4meee Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Agree. No quick fixes. Eat less. Move more. Enough said.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    <3
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Eat less. Move more. In that order.

*Shakeology etc. sellers and personal trainers start crying.*
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    just make sure that the 'little' is enough to make a difference. i spent almost a decade making 'little' changes.
    i ate healthier, and sometimes got some more exercise by parking further away or whatever, but i still maintained or gained.
    the 'little' changes aren't always enough to make a difference if you're doing other things to counteract them.
    and THNKING about weightloss, and doing endless research doesn't really do much either.
    you have to get out there, get off your *kitten*, and really challenge yourself.

but yes, it's still about calories in vs calories out
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yes I am D:<
    One of my cousins tried pulling off losing weight on body by Vi and kept trying to get me to try it. The first week she was soooo happy that she lost 8 pounds, since that week, she has not posted anymore updates on weightloss and how into she was anymore. :s

I see this lots too. Lots of loud bragging and being a dedicated spokesperson for a product for a week, maybe a month and then... crickets. It is getting tiresome. Just because I am losing weight myself does not mean that I want to be continually pestered to try this steady stream of Dr. OZ miracle fat blasting pills/shakes and plans. :grumble: This week alone I've been bombarded by Herbalife, HCG and Vislaus proponents. :noway: Thank goodness for you common sense people on here or I'd think sometimes that the whole world's gone crazy.:drinker:
  • katy_trail
    katy_trail Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    disagree

it's not that simple, metabolism plays a huge role- assuming one wants to get fairly lean and not just from fat to skinny fat.

this is true, but fat people aren't lacking in metabolism like they think.
  • basschick
    basschick Posts: 3,502 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm tired of seeing people on these forums give advice like "Well for ME, mfp wasn't working. I HAVE to cut out sugar to lose weight. Try cutting sugar out of your diet!" Again, unless you have a special medical condition, you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose. And are you going to just never eat sugar again for the rest of your life?

And the scams you have to pay for are even worse.

I agree that you don't have to cut out sugar to lose weight. I lost 53 lbs. in 11 months eating plenty of sugar. BUT, if someone that was having trouble losing weight came to me for advice, I would advise them to *cut back* on sugar. Some people have insulin resistance and don't even know it. Some people have more trouble staying within their calorie goal when they eat high sugar foods, because it triggers cravings and binge eating. I have been maintaining my low, healthy weight for two years and I am finding that it's much easier to do when I limit my sugar intake.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    This is a good post and you should feel good.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    :drinker: If you can't maintain it, don't try it (for example, how long are you going to be able to pay for Jennie Craig? learn how to portion your food instead of paying someone to do it for you).
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    But...But...Nevermind... * Pours her "fat flush" water down the drain... * :sad:

:laugh:
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    So true. I'm tired of seeing people on these forums give advice like "Well for ME, mfp wasn't working. I HAVE to cut out sugar to lose weight. Try cutting sugar out of your diet!" Again, unless you have a special medical condition, you don't HAVE to cut out anything to lose. And are you going to just never eat sugar again for the rest of your life?

And the scams you have to pay for are even worse.

I had someone recently tell me to go "low carb" because I was upset I had gained 3 lbs in a week (turned out to be water weight obviously) but it was frustrating that was the first thing someone jumped to :/ I'm not cutting out anything... I make better choices 80% of the time simply because it makes me feel better :) Besides I've heard low carb makes you feel drained and yucky :p Not a feeling I want to have for a lifetime :p

I don't disagree with your post, though wanted to point out that going low carb won't necessarily make you feel drained... it did the opposite for me. But, as many others have said, you need to try different things and see what works for you. Guess the point of my post was to say don't knock it til you've tried it, lol
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    I have noticed how disappointed people are when I tell them I lost weight by eating less and exercising more. I know they wanted me to tell them some magic diet I went on. They also don't like it when I say it took me 3 years to lose 40 pounds. They want to lose 40 pounds in 4 months.

I have encountered this too. They act like we're doing it wrong if it takes a long time to take the weight off. In the two years it has taken me to take 35 lbs off, I've seen a couple people I know lose hundreds of pounds and by hundreds I mean they've lost the same 15 lbs numerous times but put it back on.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting nearly killed me.

Low fat blew out my gallbladder. It was suggested by my sister, the doctor. "Stay under 20 grams of fat." Yeah.

Low carb made me insane. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :huh:

Meridia (RX weight loss pill) caused my heart to flutter around and put me in the hospital with an endocrine system crash.

Orlistat: RX name of Alli, caused me to have caustic, burny liqui-poos. No spank you. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

ViSalis Shakes (loaded with Splenda) gave me migraines for months until a good physician's assistant diagnosed the problem.

Now I just eat right, journal my food and exercise. I should write a book.

Oh that's scary!
    This time around, you're doing it right though. :flowerforyou:

I'm ashamed to admit that I also tried a fad. You know the "cleansing" drink, water, lemon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. You're supposed to drink only that for 10 days. After 5, I ended up at the hospital. i couldn't stop throwing up and totally messed up my stomach and guts. Never again. Lesson learned.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you can't maintain it, don't try it
    I definately agree with this.

I also don't think it's 'deprevation' to cut something out of your diet completely, provided it is low in nutrients/junk food. Nobody is going to suffer medically because they decided to stop eating twinkies. I lost a fair bit of weight when I quit drinking cokes, and that is something I have maintained and am perfectly happy about it. If I really want to have a coke one day, I will have one but as a day to day thing I just drink water/unsweet tea etc... I don't feel the least bit deprived about it, it's just a habit now.

Some people have a harder time losing while eating a fair bit of sugar or carbs, whether from increased hunger, hormonal responses, whatever. If that makes them a 'special snowflake' in your eyes, so be it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXEHUVEd6A

thanks for reminding me.

I totally, totally am.

trust me.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Now the big fad is Plexus Slim. I have a friend who sells it. It's a drink additive, but doesn't seem to get very good reviews in most places, plus, it's $114 for a one month supply. I don't know about everyone else, but $114 will buy a heck of a lot of fruit and veggies around here, even in the off season!