Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXEHUVEd6A

thanks for reminding me.

I totally, totally am.

trust me.

Now 1980 was a great year because great things happened. It's why I'm so special.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIXEHUVEd6A

thanks for reminding me.

I totally, totally am.

trust me.

Now 1980 was a great year because great things happened. It's why I'm so special.

aw :flowerforyou:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting nearly killed me.

Low fat blew out my gallbladder. It was suggested by my sister, the doctor. "Stay under 20 grams of fat." Yeah.

Low carb made me insane. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :huh:

Meridia (RX weight loss pill) caused my heart to flutter around and put me in the hospital with an endocrine system crash.

Orlistat: RX name of Alli, caused me to have caustic, burny liqui-poos. No spank you. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

ViSalis Shakes (loaded with Splenda) gave me migraines for months until a good physician's assistant diagnosed the problem.

Now I just eat right, journal my food and exercise. I should write a book.

Oh that's scary!
    This time around, you're doing it right though. :flowerforyou:

I'm ashamed to admit that I also tried a fad. You know the "cleansing" drink, water, lemon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. You're supposed to drink only that for 10 days. After 5, I ended up at the hospital. i couldn't stop throwing up and totally messed up my stomach and guts. Never again. Lesson learned.

Hmmm? This sounds familiar? this sounds like the experience of another "gentleman and scholar" on another thread who had tummy troubles shortly after trying various "fasting" techniques. Hmmm? So mystery solved. Fasting=mysterious broken tummy.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Fad dieting nearly killed me.

Low fat blew out my gallbladder. It was suggested by my sister, the doctor. "Stay under 20 grams of fat." Yeah.

Low carb made me insane. :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :huh:

Meridia (RX weight loss pill) caused my heart to flutter around and put me in the hospital with an endocrine system crash.

Orlistat: RX name of Alli, caused me to have caustic, burny liqui-poos. No spank you. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:

ViSalis Shakes (loaded with Splenda) gave me migraines for months until a good physician's assistant diagnosed the problem.

Now I just eat right, journal my food and exercise. I should write a book.

Oh that's scary!
    This time around, you're doing it right though. :flowerforyou:

I'm ashamed to admit that I also tried a fad. You know the "cleansing" drink, water, lemon, maple syrup and cayenne pepper. You're supposed to drink only that for 10 days. After 5, I ended up at the hospital. i couldn't stop throwing up and totally messed up my stomach and guts. Never again. Lesson learned.

Hmmm? This sounds familiar? this sounds like the experience of another "gentleman and scholar" on another thread who had tummy troubles shortly after trying various "fasting" techniques. Hmmm? So mystery solved. Fasting=mysterious broken tummy.

I think we finally have our answer though it will never come from the horse's mouth.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    But... my mommy says I'm special...

ps, I agree. Just thought I should throw that in there.
  • harphy
    harphy Posts: 290 Member
    Options

Oh, s***!:noway:
    Just...unbelievable.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    The current fad sweeping through my circle of aquaintances is Whole30. I don't even know what that is. I'm still struggling to keep a lid on my calorie count; that's the hardest thing for me.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    Think NROLW is one of those money-making machines.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Blanket statements... all kinds of fallacies. If people weren't unique the same exact diet and exercise routine would work for everyone.
  • jasonpclement
    jasonpclement Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I hate to say....I wanted to like the whole, high fat, low carb this and that paleo organic hippie primal w/e BS. Did it for 2 years and lied to myself that it was necessary.

What worked better...meeting my macronutrient goals and eating whatever the heck I want. Still eat plenty of fruit and veggies, and tons of meat. But also, icecream, protein bars...Beer (OMG).... My jiu jitsu performance is much better, all my lifts are going up, and I'm not nearly as moody :)

The difference...Its really easy to overeat fat, and its really hard to get full without sufficient carbohydrates, especially if your a super active individual. Eat what you like, and make it fit your numbers. Sufficient protein/carbs/fat are needed.

Its really hard to get satisfied on a super high carb low fat diet. And its really hard to get satisfied on a super high fat low carb diet. As with most things, the answer is most definitely in the middle somewhere.
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Yes I am D:<
    One of my cousins tried pulling off losing weight on body by Vi and kept trying to get me to try it. The first week she was soooo happy that she lost 8 pounds, since that week, she has not posted anymore updates on weightloss and how into she was anymore. :s

I see this lots too. Lots of loud bragging and being a dedicated spokesperson for a product for a week, maybe a month and then... crickets. It is getting tiresome. Just because I am losing weight myself does not mean that I want to be continually pestered to try this steady stream of Dr. OZ miracle fat blasting pills/shakes and plans. :grumble: This week alone I've been bombarded by Herbalife, HCG and Vislaus proponents. :noway: Thank goodness for you common sense people on here or I'd think sometimes that the whole world's gone crazy.:drinker:

Oh yes, I noticed that too about the Body by Vi. A friend was flooding my daily Facebook feed with spam. Then, he stopped and one day wrote something like "for personal reasons, I will no longer represent Visalus". Duh!
  • swillybay
    swillybay Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I love this. I have been doing this (MFP) since JANUARY. I have lost 11 lbs. (goal is to lose 16), and people are just now starting to notice. They ask HOW DID YOU DO IT???!!! like I showed up today and lost 11 lbs. since yesterday. I say I just counted calories, watched what I ate and exercised. They look at me like I'm lying...I also tell them I DIDN'T give up ice cream, pizza, cookies, just ate them in moderation and counted the calories and nutrients. Then they look away like I'm an idiot and that can't POSSIBLY be the truth. It makes me laugh. It is going to take me a year (I predict) to lose these total 16 lbs., but I also predict they will stay off since I've changed my whole way of thinking about food and eating and have not starved myself, given up my favorite foods or taken any fad diet powders, etc. I am not to my goal yet, but I am confident I will get there. I am not "special" as far as my diet goes, just determined. I still watch some of my friends lose and gain and lose and gain and tell me "I can't eat carbs," or "I'm on the Q-10 diet" or "I no longer eat sugar" or "I only eat clean" or whatever. I hope it works for them - I just know this is the only way that works for me (and for sustainable weight loss in most people that I know...) Will power only lasts for so long....
  • victoriasnow
    victoriasnow Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Could not agree more! I was a victim to special diet fads when i first started working out, but it all came down to the same thing.. CALORIE INTAKE VS CALORIES BURNED! once i started tracking everything is when i seen the changes. im so happy to say that i am now supplement free (except for my whey protein isolate.. trying to grow some muscles! haha) & i do not use ANY "special" diet fad. :)
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Everybody wants to lose weight.
    In America it's not OK to be fat.
    Companies know this & they know finding the "fat cure" is the ultimate path to wealth. Yes, fads are exactly that. Fads.
    With the exception of intermittent fasting, none of these truly have good scientific-backing, but there are people who will try anything once, & there's nothing wrong with that.
    It isn't fair, however, to poke fun at people who did lose after going low sugar or low fat or cutting out whatever. No 2 people & no 2 bodies or metabolisms are 100% the same.
    Just because something doesn't work for everyone doesn't mean it won't work for someone.

I saw someone comment on Alli (orlistat). Out of all weight-loss supplements, researchers give Orlistat the most praise. It doesn't make you lose weight, it changes the way you absorb fat.
    It recommends you watch your intake of fat or else have horrific bowel movements.
    So, even if it doesn't actually work for you, the side effects alone will get you to not eat bad fats :)
    So if you did experience "caustic poos" it's because you were eating a lot of bad fats.

Inb4 fellow hippie science nerds
  • librarianjenne
    librarianjenne Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Great post! I've lost more than 50 pounds so far sensibly and sustainably by making small changes that reduce the amount of calories I eat and increase the amount of calories I burn. It's amazing how many people don't want to hear that. And that sustainable weight loss can take a long time. I've been at it for seven years and have about 30 pounds to go.

(Meal timing and reducing sugar can play a role in making it easier to maintain the desired calorie ratio, but they're not magic bullets, especially if you're still eating more than your body needs.)
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Everybody wants to lose weight.
    In America it's not OK to be fat.
    Companies know this & they know finding the "fat cure" is the ultimate path to wealth. Yes, fads are exactly that. Fads.
    With the exception of intermittent fasting, none of these truly have good scientific-backing, but there are people who will try anything once, & there's nothing wrong with that.
    It isn't fair, however, to poke fun at people who did lose after going low sugar or low fat or cutting out whatever. No 2 people & no 2 bodies or metabolisms are 100% the same.
    Just because something doesn't work for everyone doesn't mean it won't work for someone.

I saw someone comment on Alli (orlistat). Out of all weight-loss supplements, researchers give Orlistat the most praise. It doesn't make you lose weight, it changes the way you absorb fat.
    It recommends you watch your intake of fat or else have horrific bowel movements.
    So, even if it doesn't actually work for you, the side effects alone will get you to not eat bad fats :)
    So if you did experience "caustic poos" it's because you were eating a lot of bad fats.

Inb4 fellow hippie science nerds

Sounds like a fad based on the principle of "eating fat makes you fat", which is absolutely NOT true.
  • klp1017
    klp1017 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people insist that I do low carb to drop weight faster. No, when I do low carb I get angry throughout the day and end up massively binging at night. I'd much rather take my plateau, thanks. Everyone just watches Dr. Oz, hears about new fad diets, and think they know what's best for me to lose weight. Pretty sure I know my body better than you.
  • hzliiz
    hzliiz Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Could you please get a time machine, travel back to 1989 and tell this to my 18 year old self? Now, she won't believe you b/c she, well, knows EVERYTHING. When she argues just thump her on the nose for me will you? Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    disagree

it's not that simple, metabolism plays a huge role- assuming one wants to get fairly lean and not just from fat to skinny fat.
    What does metabolism role have to do with going from fat to skinny fat? That has more to do with how one sustains lean muscle, which addresses exercising protocol and not huge on metabolism.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Agree if I get one more person trying to hook me on shakeology... :noway: I even told one, "Sorry, I don't do fads". They actually tried to give me a lecture on why it wasn't a fad... :grumble:

I LOVE SHAKEOLOGY :) i must say that it is the BEST protein powder out there!!
    Whoa that's sacrilege for those that sell it...............it's not a protein powder.................it's a nutritional supplement/meal replacement/nutritious drink that's way overpriced.:laugh:
    And trust when I say you can drink all the Shakeology you want, but if you don't have a calorie deficit with it, you ain't losing any weight.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition