Recommendations?

Options
Hi! I'm looking to gain weight and muscle(mostly only in my legs and glutes area) is there any drinks or foods you would recommend that would help me gain, but alao keep my stomach slim?

Thank you! Feel free to add me (: I just started using the app yesterday :)

Replies

• time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No food or drinks are going to add weight to a specific part of your body. Could you imagine? lol I would have the hugest t!ts right now ;)

You can only add mass to specific areas by adding muscle and in order to add muscle you need to eat at a surplus (and lift of course), so chances are you will put on weight all over.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    No food or drinks are going to add weight to a specific part of your body. Could you imagine? lol I would have the hugest t!ts right now ;)

You can only add mass to specific areas by adding muscle and in order to add muscle you need to eat at a surplus (and lift of course), so chances are you will put on weight all over.

Agree (other than, I might choose a different body part), and - to add - you WILL put on fat too. There's no way to put on 100% muscle.
  • jennahudson01
    jennahudson01 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Lmaooo!! Ugh yea the sad truth .. Guess the best thing to do is gain overall weight and just do lots of ab exercises
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    Once you've got your TDEE and macros planned out you can minimize fat gain if you're willing to take it slower putting on muscle. If you don't want to stress over it as much though then eat a surplus and gain a little weight then worry about the abs more when it's time to cut.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you read the "most helpful posts"...

in short..

you need a 250 calorie surplus.
    structured lifting program. If you want to train the glutes and what not, most recommend strong curves
    get adequate nutrition
    hit micros
    it is ok to eat calorie dense foods tofill in your surplus.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    @jennahudson01 I think you want to add lean muscle mass as an additional weight. So you can just say you want to add weight, that can mean becoming fat.

To add lean muscle mass, hit the gym, lift weights and focus on your legs workout if that where the muscles should develop. And eat healthy (Plant based diet)
    https://youtube.com/user/thevegancorner/videos
    https://youtube.com/user/cookingwithplants/videos
    Once you manage to eat healthy plant based diet you do not need to worry about macros and nonsense like that.

No food can magically fix the shape of particular part of your body. Body gain fat weight all around. Working out however can grow and enhance particular muscle.

a plant based diet has nothing to do with being healthy, bulking, or anything else.

You can eat all foods, get adequate nutrition and reach your goals.

And hitting macros is very important for body recomp goals, so not sure why you are saying ignore that nonsense...

• ndj1979
    Options
    Dear @ndj1979 , Plant based diet (no fried food of heavily processed junk) is essential because there is no point of fixing your shape while you are rotting inside.

The ultimate goal must always be being healthy inside and looking fit and sexy outside.
    Lets not underestimate the ability of our bodies to choose what they need to fix/grow the tissues. Stiffing your stomach with too much protein is not going to force your muscles to grow. in fact it can easily force cancer to grow

When you eat plant based diet that provides your body with all the fuel it needs to work (carbs) all the building up material it needs (protein and fat) the body will utilise it and will work fantastically.

You will never grow faster than a baby unless you have cancer maybe. A baby diet from mothers milk contains about 5% of all the calories from protein and 2 to 5% fat, the rest is lactose (carbs).

Plant based food cad do that just fine. If you insist on increasing your protein intake fine, you have all the legumes there 30% protein. but you have to increase your vegetables intake too to keep the PH of the blood balanced.

Finally I am a body builder too. I know what I am talking about (no steroid is used here!)

I never said that one should stuff their body with protein, so not sure why you are attributing that to me. When bulking carbs are more important then protein either.

Please site me a source that too much protein can lead to cancer...

You can be healthy and eat a diet based on around meats, fish, chicken, rice, pasta, ice cream, and pizza, as long as you get adequate nutrition and meet your macro targets.

Please stop with woo about a plant based diet being necessary to be healthy.
  • time2cutnow
    time2cutnow Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Dear @ndj1979 , Plant based diet (no fried food of heavily processed junk) is essential because there is no point of fixing your shape while you are rotting inside.

The ultimate goal must always be being healthy inside and looking fit and sexy outside.
    Lets not underestimate the ability of our bodies to choose what they need to fix/grow the tissues. Stiffing your stomach with too much protein is not going to force your muscles to grow. in fact it can easily force cancer to grow

When you eat plant based diet that provides your body with all the fuel it needs to work (carbs) all the building up material it needs (protein and fat) the body will utilise it and will work fantastically.

You will never grow faster than a baby unless you have cancer maybe. A baby diet from mothers milk contains about 5% of all the calories from protein and 2 to 5% fat, the rest is lactose (carbs).

Plant based food cad do that just fine. If you insist on increasing your protein intake fine, you have all the legumes there 30% protein. but you have to increase your vegetables intake too to keep the PH of the blood balanced.

Finally I am a body builder too. I know what I am talking about (no steroid is used here!)

OP please do not take this as fact (best to just ignore the whole post). Eat at a surplus, lift weights and be sure to hit your macros.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wut?
    Your goals are not my goals.
    Lets not underestimate the ability of our bodies to choose what they need to fix/grow the tissues.
    my body doesn't choose anything- I do.
    [quote[ Stiffing your stomach with too much protein is not going to force your muscles to grow. in fact it can easily force cancer to grow[/quote]
    There is no scientific proof for that.
    When you eat plant based diet that provides your body with all the fuel it needs to work (carbs) all the building up material it needs (protein and fat) the body will utilize it and will work fantastically.
    while it is possibly to live function and be successful on a plant based diet- our bodies are indeed designed to run off meat-there is a reason we have teeth specifically called wolf or canine's they are designed for the ripping and tearing of flesh and we do so extremely well. What works for you doesn't' work for everyone. No meat- is a none starter for me. You are free to eat a none meat diet- but is not the healthiest and not the only way to do this.
    You will never grow faster than a baby unless you have cancer maybe.
    what does that even mean?
    A baby diet from mothers milk contains about 5% of all the calories from protein and 2 to 5% fat, the rest is lactose (carbs).
    and?
    Plant based food cad do that just fine.
    sure- but you have to work at it- and there is is no need to work that hard if you have a perfectly usable meat source. This is hard enough- don't make it harder unless you need to.
    If you insist on increasing your protein intake fine, you have all the legumes there 30% protein. but you have to increase your vegetables intake too to keep the PH of the blood balanced.
    legumes % protein is really a joke in the protein department compared to the caloric equivalent of animal meat.
    sure- if you say so.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

This is going around in all the threads this user posts in. They also refuse to provide any evidence that isn't McDougall, Mercola, T. Colin Powell, etc.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    @jennahudson01 I think you want to add lean muscle mass as an additional weight. So you cannot just say you want to add weight, that can mean becoming fat.

To add lean muscle mass, hit the gym, lift weights and focus on your legs workout if that where the muscles should develop. And eat healthy (Plant based diet)
    https://youtube.com/user/thevegancorner/videos
    https://youtube.com/user/cookingwithplants/videos
    Once you manage to eat healthy plant based diet you do not need to worry about macros and nonsense like that.

No food can magically fix the shape of particular part of your body. Body gain fat weight all around. Working out however can grow and enhance particular muscle.

I would also recommend ignoring the above.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options

:#
    This is why I don't trust vegetables.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options

Who should I believe: science, or the internet "bodybuilder" with no pics, no citations, and apparently no nutritional education?

It's decisions like this that make life more difficult that it should be.

• jennahudson01
    edited January 2016
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Hahaha rich ! I definately need to eat more greens.. Always leave that out of my diet .. It's also hard for me to eat a surplus of food, I stay full through out the day and eat constant little meals.. Should I change that to bigger meals? And I don't really eat much red meat, I perfer seafood chicken and pastas mostly .. Thanks for all the help o appreciate it !
    I am currently 5'2" and 103lbs.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    richln wrote: »

Hahaha rich ! I definately need to eat more greens.. Always leave that out of my diet .. It's also hard for me to eat a surplus of food, I stay full through out the day and eat constant little meals.. Should I change that to bigger meals? And I don't really eat much red meat, I perfer seafood chicken and pastas mostly .. Thanks for all the help o appreciate it !
    I am currently 5'2" and 103lbs.

You need to do whatever it takes to get into caloric surplus if you want to gain. If you are having trouble with being full all of time, try to incorporate more calorie dense food like nuts/nut butters/chips/fried foods for fat, pasta/rice/bread/sugar for carbs. Drinking calories usually makes it easier to get down as well. If you want to focus on training legs and glutes then Contreras is well respected in that field: http://bretcontreras.com/
    Agree with others here that gaining slow with a small surplus is the best way to minimize the amount of fat gained.
  • ndj1979
    Options
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    So if I am a vegetarian my food won't 'rot inside me'.

Oh lord it's going to be fun when that carrot comes out!!

L O L
  • jennahudson01
    Options
    Great idea rich I'll start snacking on higher caloric foods ! Thanks !