diabetes...eating healthy but can't get my #s down!

Options
dotti1121
dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
edited January 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I've had diabetes for several years...have always taken Metformin, didn't worry about checking my blood sugar regularly, and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Until NOW. I HAVE to get it under control.

So I've recently made drastic changes to my diet, and starting testing my blood sugar again, and am shocked to see that it's still really high!

I guess maybe it will take a while of healthy eating to see my numbers stabilize?!

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    How long has it been? Have you seen a nutritionist or dietician who specializes in diabetes? Are you increasing your activity? (I've heard that can be good to help get diabetes under control.)
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're monitoring your carb intake... It should be as even as possible throughout the day. If your numbers are still high, you may need to see your doctor to talk about additional medication.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    For diabetics (type 2) it's generally recommended to reduce carbohydrate intake and increase exercise.

It's my understanding that exercise helps with insulin sensitivity and weight loss (specifically belly fat) significantly improves diabetes.

See your doctor or a dietician who can help you with the specific goals for carbs and reducing your numbers and i'd work closely with a team to include exercise in your routine. I'm not sure what other problems you may be experiencing as a result of diabetes such as peripheral neuropathy, but i'd recommend getting a professional's opinion on what you can safely do.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    How do you define "healthy?"

My dad was a type II diabetic and didn't really get things under control until he was referred...and finally decided it was a good idea to get with a dietitian who specialized in diabetes. My dad thought he was being healthy as well...but it turns out that he didn't really understand what that meant...he though it was all good just to give up his typical cookies and ice cream, but he still ate a high fat diet and too many simple carbs.

His dietitian got him on more vegetables and whole grains and some fruit...lean proteins and a low to moderate intake of healthy fats.

With your condition, I would wager you could...and should get a referral to a professional who has expertise in this area. It is also my understanding that diabetics may react differently to different diets...my dad had his under control with plenty of veggies some fruit and whole grains and moderating his carb intake (not necessarily low carb) while for others this may not work.

I would also add that my dad lost quite a bit of weight and became more active as well. He was into that speed walking thing and did about 5 miles most days...of course, he built up to that. I think being active and losing some weight is a pretty critical component to getting type II under control and getting off the meds.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    dotti1121 wrote: »
    I've had diabetes for several years...have always taken Metformin, didn't worry about checking my blood sugar regularly, and ate pretty much whatever I wanted. Until NOW. I HAVE to get it under control.

So I've recently made drastic changes to my diet, and starting testing my blood sugar again, and am shocked to see that it's still really high!

I guess maybe it will take a while of healthy eating to see my numbers stabilize?!

Hey, I use to be diabetic, use to take metformin too.

Once I lost around 70lbs I stopped taking it, I haven't used it in almost 4 years and am no longer diabetic. Just eat healthy and get your weight under control and it's reversible.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to see a Registered Dietician (not a nutritionist) to review your food choices.

I was diagnosed T2Dm two years ago with an A1C of 7.3. I was put on medication and started eating a moderate carb diet (less than 180 g per day) and my numbers were back to normal within 6 months and I was off the medication in 9 months. I have maintained the normal A1C ever since (my last one was 5.0). I also became active and lost a lot of weight.

The numbers can go down. You just have to figure out what you need to do in order for that to happen. Most just need to reduce carbs. Some might need to go low carb or even all the way to keto but an RD can evaluate your current diet and advise you on what you should do to start.