Re-hydrating Chickpeas

Options
I bought some chickpeas in bulk because I heard that the texture is better when making hummus. All the stuff I'm finding online says to soak overnight and then cook for 1-2 hours. But when making hummus, is the additional cooking necessary? I've only used canned chickpeas in the past so I'm unsure.

Replies

• Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    yes you have to soak or boil for 2 minutes then soak for an hour. some people make humus from the soaked state but it will not be smooth. After you soak then cook then you can use them for anything that you use canned chick peas for.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Yes, you still need to cook them if you're making hummus; soaking rehydrates and speeds the cooking process, but they're still just raw. If after soaking you're making something that involves cooking them as part of the recipe, like falafel, you don't need to boil them first, but for something like hummus you do.
  • Khovde07
    Khovde07 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Perfect! Thanks! I'm planning on doing a big batch and using some for hummus and some to cook for a roasted chickpea snack.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    Khovde07 wrote: »
    I bought some chickpeas in bulk because I heard that the texture is better when making hummus. All the stuff I'm finding online says to soak overnight and then cook for 1-2 hours. But when making hummus, is the additional cooking necessary? I've only used canned chickpeas in the past so I'm unsure.

Ya, the ones in the can are already cooked so when you use the dried ones you have to soak and cook them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I always nibble a few of the rehydrated, raw chickpeas before I cook them for hummus.